This is what is wrong with the UK

Sandgroper

The fact that increasing social deprivation is not unique to the UK is indisputable. But social deprivation isn’t inevitable and it is a disgrace that an economy ranked as the 5th wealthiest in the world saw more than a million people rely on foodbanks in the last 12 months. Hospital admissions due to malnutrition are also on the increase, and nearly two thirds of children deemed to be living in poverty are members of working families. Over 100,000 children are classified as homeless….these and many other hard hitting social issues are what is wrong with the UK today, imo. I’m not keen on antiquated social gestures like curtsies and forelock tugging but, in the scheme of things, I think they pale into insignificance when it comes to the title of the thread. T x

Oh, I wouldn't let that worry you. The wealthiest is worse.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things have probably changed a lot since I was young in the UK. I worked with vets training for my vet nursing diploma before going to Norfolk - and one place we used to go to (a large horse breeding stud farm.) we were expected to call the owners 'Sir' and 'Madam'. Mind you, I really liked them. They were underneath all the snobby thing, a very nice couple - a bit eccentric but very nice.

Us horsey folk are a strange bunch, the lifestyle attracts its fair share of status-seekers / snobs but also endearingly eccentric people :)

My best friend's boyfriend is master-at-arms for an elderly gentleman who lives on his own at one of the old country estates in Norfolk. In return he gets to live rent-free in a converted dairy and does odd jobs for this chap's friends' houses as well. There are some concerns that when the man passes away, his kids (who never see him) will swoop in to take their share of the will and probably sell the house - which has been in their family for centuries - to foreign investors (who will most likely let it fall into disrepair and demolish it so they can build modern homes on the land.)

Guest Guest109139
[ATTACH=CONFIG]33888[/ATTACH]

I hate this why should anyone have to kneel in front of someone else?

Nobody has to kneel or curtsy to anyone if they don't wish to, it doesn't make any country to be better or worse to live in. It has nothing to do with whether something is wrong with the UK or any country for that matter.

I don't like the Royals, in fact I'm quite anti-royalist and everything they stand for and I would never curtsy to the Queen if I was ever that unfortunate to come that close. And guess what, despite the royals, the UK is still a great place to live.

Us horsey folk are a strange bunch, the lifestyle attracts its fair share of status-seekers / snobs but also endearingly eccentric people :)

My best friend's boyfriend is master-at-arms for an elderly gentleman who lives on his own at one of the old country estates in Norfolk. In return he gets to live rent-free in a converted dairy and does odd jobs for this chap's friends' houses as well. There are some concerns that when the man passes away, his kids (who never see him) will swoop in to take their share of the will and probably sell the house - which has been in their family for centuries - to foreign investors (who will most likely let it fall into disrepair and demolish it so they can build modern homes on the land.)

the nice ones are a rare breed, in the past it was installed in the children of nobility or very wealthy families that they are a class above. I went to calke abbey only last week and there is tunnels from the gardens and from the stables so that the workers maids and kitchen staff were not seen or heard. The guide told us that when a family member would pass them in the house they were to turn to face the wall and wait till the family member passed.

who is blaming anyone, all in your mind..i just stated a fact that I would not allow anyone to abuse me even if it meant I was hammered by any means.

If you cannot understand the judgements you are casting upon others with your I'll thought statements then you are a pitiful human being. An apology is required.

If you cannot understand the judgements you are casting upon others with your I'll thought statements then you are a pitiful human being. An apology is required.

Ohhh get a life, what I said was fact.....i would rather die in the ensuing fight if anyone tried to rape me. I understand and have empathy for anyone who has been abused in the past but I am just stating what my thoughts are. You need to think before you call anyone pitiful as it could easily be applied to you.

who is blaming anyone, all in your mind..i just stated a fact that I would not allow anyone to abuse me even if it meant I was hammered by any means.

I don't think you were intentionally doing so - from what I've seen of you elsewhere in this forum you're a well-meaning person, and I certainly didn't read your comment as malicious - but sexual abuse takes many forms.

We all like to think that in such a situation we'd be in control (see: people commenting on domestic abuse saying "I would have just left!") but in reality, that's not how it works. It's one of those things you can't fully understand until it has happened to you (and obviously, I hope it never does.)

Edited by SpaghettiWinston

I don't think you were intentionally doing so - from what I've seen of you elsewhere in this forum you're a well-meaning person, and I certainly didn't read your comment as malicious - but sexual abuse takes many forms.

We all like to think that in such a situation we'd be in control (see: people commenting on domestic abuse saying "I would have just left!") but in reality, that's not how it works. It's one of those things you can't fully understand until it has happened to you (and obviously, I hope it never does.)

I never targeted anyone in my comment just gave my personal thoughts, to many posters read into a post and jump down your throat as they misunderstand what you meant.

I never targeted anyone in my comment just gave my personal thoughts, to many posters read into a post and jump down your throat as they misunderstand what you meant.

I understand, I wasn't trying to jump down your throat. Honestly, my main concern was that Johndoe didn't blame himself for what happened.

People raised in care are at higher risk for sexual abuse, the person in the story was an opportunist who took advantage of a vulnerable young man. I commend him for being brave enough to share his awful experience with us.

Ohhh get a life, what I said was fact.....i would rather die in the ensuing fight if anyone tried to rape me. I understand and have empathy for anyone who has been abused in the past but I am just stating what my thoughts are. You need to think before you call anyone pitiful as it could easily be applied to you.

You need to think before you reply to a sensitive post like that. Sometimes it's better to say nothing. Nobody really gives a **** about what you think you may or may not do under the circumstances. For Christ sake, can you not put your ego aside for the sake of others? You can be a pathetic little man sometimes.

You need to think before you reply to a sensitive post like that. Sometimes it's better to say nothing. Nobody really gives a **** about what you think you may or may not do under the circumstances. For Christ sake, can you not put your ego aside for the sake of others? You can be a pathetic little man sometimes.

no one gives a *** what you say also, especially me ditto the last bit

Edited by Perthbum

Nobody has to kneel or curtsy to anyone if they don't wish to, it doesn't make any country to be better or worse to live in. It has nothing to do with whether something is wrong with the UK or any country for that matter.

I don't like the Royals, in fact I'm quite anti-royalist and everything they stand for and I would never curtsy to the Queen if I was ever that unfortunate to come that close. And guess what, despite the royals, the UK is still a great place to live.

you sound a very nasty person saying such unpleasant things about the Queen.

You can only speak as you find people, there are good and bad in all walks of life, and unless the uk has the equivelent of a Bastille day then nothing is going to change and I woudnt want that, the UK is what it is and makes it completley diffrent to the rest of the world and unfortunatley the wrold is not a perfect place and nor is it ever lightly to be.

Edited by Rallyman

We all like to think that in such a situation we'd be in control

"caught in the headlights" applies. No matter what PB thinks he would do, when you're young, subservient to a class above you, taken by surprise, and disciplined/taught not to question superiors, then most folk (I guess) would simply freeze.

At 19 no matter who he was I would not let anyone no matter who he is sexually abuse me. I agree these people from privileged backgrounds get away with murder as the victims are scared to report it, it has always gone on I am afraid will continue as the rich get richer and the poor suffer the consequences.

Don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.

You can only speak as you find people, there are good and bad in all walks of life, and unless the uk has the equivelent of a Bastille day then nothing is going to change and I woudnt want that, the UK is what it is and makes it completley diffrent to the rest of the world and unfortunatley the wrold is not a perfect place and nor is it ever lightly to be.

Not sure how UK is completely different from the rest of the world. All countries have subtle differences. UK really is but another consumerist defying culture hardly unique in the modern world.

A lot of people have outdated information about greetings to member of the Royal Family. It all changed, IIRC, in the 1990s. Now, "There are no obligatory codes of behaviour when meeting The Queen or a member of the Royal Family, but many people wish to observe the traditional forms." - https://www.royal.uk/greeting-member-royal-family

I'm actually a support of the monarchy. More by accident than design, the UK has ended up with a reasonably stable method of having a head of state who is not going to try and go against the will of the people.

For heavens sake, I can think of at least 2 occasions when Parliament decided they didn't like the cut of the Monarchs or soon to be Monarchs jib and handed it to someone else.

Feeling offended on behalf of someone else ?

Yes, thought that was obvious? And no, I haven't been abused. My brother may have been but I only heard about that recently and haven't spoken to him about it. And before you ask, priest.

"caught in the headlights" applies. No matter what PB thinks he would do, when you're young, subservient to a class above you, taken by surprise, and disciplined/taught not to question superiors, then most folk (I guess) would simply freeze.

Rape is about power first and foremost, so gender plays quite heavily into how being a victim affects you. For a male victim, particularly one in a strongly hierarchal, masculinised environment e.g. the military (where sexual abuse is shockingly prevalent) there are unique issues.

Not sure how UK is completely different from the rest of the world. All countries have subtle differences. UK really is but another consumerist defying culture hardly unique in the modern world.

Maybe you not as worldly wise as you make out then, the whole set up of democracy and and how the rolyal family fit into to the uk system ( and probably the oldest democracy in the current modern world) is what many other countries have copied in some form or another.You must be blind if you think that its not much diffrent to any other country.

Maybe you not as worldly wise as you make out then, the whole set up of democracy and and how the rolyal family fit into to the uk system ( and probably the oldest democracy in the current modern world) is what many other countries have copied in some form or another.You must be blind if you think that its not much diffrent to any other country.

UK is in the minds of most people just another consumerist nation with questionable taste at times. I suppose the social awkwardness displayed by many could be a unique trait. Not quite the oldest. But never mind. Modern Brit's are not quite as unique as you appear to infer. Or would like to think. Regardless of certain tabloid journals making a living by underlying supposed differences.