Mal has been on the blower.

amibovered

??? Mini's came into vogue in around 1966. You were definitely way out in front not to say risqué, wearing such attire (short dress)in the early sixties.

I beg to differ. I joined the Forces in 64 and mini skirts/dresses had been around well prior to that

I see you are not yet arrived, at the level of self realisation to appreciate the true meaning of communal living. Or else they kept the mind enhancing substances for themselves providing you with the inferior product.

I like the concept with like minded people. Unfortunately the history of such establishments doesn't point to last lasting experiences. But could well be a revival for the future with the state of housing.

.........a well run community living is a wonderful thing ime....

.........the communal care of food housing and Childcare can enrich the lives of those participating....

..........there are some that have seen more than one generation enjoy such a life style.

I see you are not yet arrived, at the level of self realisation to appreciate the true meaning of communal living. Or else they kept the mind enhancing substances for themselves providing you with the inferior product.

I like the concept with like minded people. Unfortunately the history of such establishments doesn't point to last lasting experiences. But could well be a revival for the future with the state of housing.

These days, the idea of communal living makes me shudder. I like my own space thank you very much. I'm not a great lover of the human race and I like to pick and choose carefully who I spend my time with and when. :cool: Mind you I get what you say about the future and the state of housing.

??? Mini's came into vogue in around 1966. You were definitely way out in front not to say risqué, wearing such attire (short dress)in the early sixties.

Mary quant started experimenting with short skirts in the late 1950's might not have been called mini skirts till a few years later but they were around and popular with us young "trendies" who knew where to shop. I didn't realise you were as old as me and living in swinging London in the early 60's.

Mary quant started experimenting with short skirts in the late 1950's might not have been called mini skirts till a few years later but they were around and popular with us young "trendies" who knew where to shop. I didn't realise you were as old as me and living in swinging London in the early 60's.

Next thing you will be telling me I didn't go to Eel Pie Island in the early 60's either.

Get with it Flag... I lived in London in the 1960's and wore minis from 1964 onwards....

Get with it Flag... I lived in London in the 1960's and wore minis from 1964 onwards....

So glad do didn't put me on ignore. I mean where would I be without your devoted affection? I bow to age but still hold the belief that mini's came to populace in 66. Wasn't it Mary Quaint? Or some name similar that brought it to the high street. Anyway you can always post a photo of wearing a mini in 1964. Or do you mean just above the knee?

.........a well run community living is a wonderful thing ime....

.........the communal care of food housing and Childcare can enrich the lives of those participating....

..........there are some that have seen more than one generation enjoy such a life style.

I have stayed in places where three generations happily cohabit. Family though. I'd like to think the meeting of like minded souls, can make it possible for non related. We do need to look out for one another and rid the overwhelming selfishness that is fostered on people. Empathy remains a force I believe that is what makes us human and won't be defeated by those advocating hatred and angst.

Well my good luck I suppose is not to be so old as you. Social trends and the what like have though long interested me, I found no mention of the mini dress prior to 66 in the populist sense. I am very aware dress hem lines were creeping up above the knees in the early sixties. Mini's proper though with little left to the imagination as a result of the shortness, I still contest later.

Jean Shrimpton caused a big hoo haa when she was the first to wear a skirt above the knee to Derby Day races in Melbourne.

That was 1965.

Her attire had the conservative Melbourne matrons reeling. Shock, horror at such daring. Very famous incident. Made to create a hoo-ha of course in promotion. Above the knees but rather (Almost)modest compared to what was around the corner.

I did a temp tea lady job when I was 18!!! for about 2 weeks early 1960's. Wore pretty short skirts in those day and apparently there had never been so many 2nd cups poured!!

i will point out the obvious in case you misread my post Flag, I made no reference to a mini skirt, merely that I wore pretty short skirts, which was in complete contrast to the regular fairly elderly tea lady. For some reason known only to yourself, you turned it into an I know better than you argument, not an unusual occurance. Had I said I wore "mini skirts" date wise you would be correct, but that is not what I wrote. Sad you have to contradict everything even when you weren't alive then?to know what we were wearing in London in the early 1960's.

i will point out the obvious in case you misread my post Flag, I made no reference to a mini skirt, merely that I wore pretty short skirts, which was in complete contrast to the regular fairly elderly tea lady. For some reason known only to yourself, you turned it into an I know better than you argument, not an unusual occurance. Had I said I wore "mini skirts" date wise you would be correct, but that is not what I wrote. Sad you have to contradict everything even when you weren't alive then?to know what we were wearing in London in the early 1960's.

I acknowledged short skirts ,if you had bothered to read correctly what was actually posted. Mini's which the initial talk was about was later. I'd like to know your personal powers of insight into determining just who was and wasn't alive at a particular time. When in doubt best assume nothing, but usually the pronouncement is wrong.

Minis were definitely around in London when I was still at school, 6th form- 1964-65 . I remember we used to roll our school uniform skirts over at the waistline to make them look short. Have a feeling this was also earlier still around 1963. London always was a bit ahead of the pack. Also remember drugs were around when I was very young- purple hearts etc, must have been early 1960s. Marijuana came later, 1967 ish.

Early 60's were an amazing time to be young in London. Mary Quant opened a shop in Knightsbridge, Biba opened in Church St. off Ken High st, in 1965, and there was a Vidal Sasson hair saloon was next to where I worked in Knightsbridge. Then Carnaby st, not sure when that took off.

I was even luckily on the top deck of a bus going home after a late shift when England won the World Cup in 1966 and some or all of the England team were on a balcony? of a hotel somewhere just before Kensington High st. can't remember which hotel, and there were crowds cheering them.

Royal Garden Hotel just googled it and it was the whole team plus the cup.

Sorry Flag you mentioned in post 38 you were luckily younger than me so I assumed you weren't living in London then. There was a ? mark in my post as I wasn't sure of your age.

Archived