Website for comparing Australian suburbs

robfromdublin

I've just posted this in another thread but I think it's worthy of its own one. There is a new website that collates lots of information about suburbs in Australia (demographics, crime stats, school scores, number of cafes, etc. etc.) which could be very useful for people researching areas to explore prior to moving. To be clear, I have no affiliation with it, I just think it's cool and a great example of the power of collating data and presenting it well:

https://www.microburbs.com.au/

They have a blog with metrics on 'cool' suburbs and 'family' suburbs, and you can even put in details about your preferred type of suburb and it will then spit out some recommendations. Do you want to pay $600k for a house, in a leafy suburb, surrounded by young families of tertiary-educated parents and good schools, but you don't care about having lots of cafes? You can fill that into a form and it will tell you where you want to move. Very impressive.

Have just had a look. Think it is a bit sad that one of the options for selecting your suburb is 'Almost all English speaking' - in combination with the 'university educated' choice we can select primarily white, well educated communities. Not so great for creating a cultural mix....

Perhaps people selecting these options should think about living in Britain.

[sorry for hi-jacking your useful post]

Yeah I do too, but it's also being realistic in that people might want to seek out their own culture (Australian's in Shepherd's Bush). I also think that the data guys are just incorporating as much info as possible from the ABS stats, which includes this stuff. I would like to think that if a suburb ticks all boxes except 'university educated' then that would not be an issue for someone but maybe that's being idealistic!

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect suburbs to be English speaking.

Every suburb should be mostly English speaking.

This isn't racist by the way.

Why do you think the government makes people pass an English proficiency test before granting visas. (IELTS) ?

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect suburbs to be English speaking.

Every suburb should be mostly English speaking.

This isn't racist by the way.

Why do you think the government makes people pass an English proficiency test before granting visas. (IELTS) ?

Every suburb will be mostly English speaking, and I agree it is reasonable to expect that, but the point is some will be ALL English speaking and some will have cultural hotspots that have high rates of English as a second language.

Indians and Chinese make up the majority of the current migrant intake. About 40,000 a year for Indians, 27,000 for Chinese and 23,000 for Brits. Maybe the Pom component will be going up soon? Incidentally, both former PM Rudd and current PM Turnbull have half Chinese grandchidren.

Just had a look at mine old place. It did what I expected.

Dawesville is one suburb that should really be classed as two - opposite sides of the main road. One is an old area with lots of rambling blocks and a fair few are fibro. The other is new and big houses. Both are totally different.