Pound lowest level since 1985

Guest The Pom Queen

I'm not talking about the EU of yesterday, we're talking about the EU of tomorrow.. They are not the same.

True, but then the Britain of 2014 is going to be vastly different from the Britain of 2017. Scotland will almost certainly vote Yes for independence by a large margin as long as they can stay in the EU.

The EUs main priority now is to preserve the union of 27 members. They are pushing Britain now to invoke Article 50 next week and not wait until October.

At whatever cost the EU now desperately needs the UK to suffer a hard landing from Brexit in order to demonstrate to their own populations that leaving the union is a bad thing. They will not publicly say so but the EUs best hope is that the British people suffer badly. If Britain maintains business as usual then the EU is finished.

True, but then the Britain of 2014 is going to be vastly different from the Britain of 2017. Scotland will almost certainly vote Yes for independence by a large margin as long as they can stay in the EU.

The EUs main priority now is to preserve the union of 27 members. They are pushing Britain now to invoke Article 50 next week and not wait until October.

At whatever cost the EU now desperately needs the UK to suffer a hard landing from Brexit in order to demonstrate to their own populations that leaving the union is a bad thing. They will not publicly say so but the EUs best hope is that the British people suffer badly. If Britain maintains business as usual then the EU is finished.

I agree with you on paper about what the EU needs to do. The problem is that large parts of it are in a mess. I cannot see any way they can be punitive against the UK without harming themselves. They are in a no win situation. Make nice with the UK as quickly as possible to focus on fixing all their other problems or try to punish them and make things worse for themselves.

There's no way that the EU can be upbeat again anytime in the near future. Which is precisely why the people of Scotland will reject joining any time soon. On principle they may want it, but they will know doing so will be far worse unless the EU makes an amazing comeback before that time.

I agree with you on paper about what the EU needs to do. The problem is that large parts of it are in a mess. I cannot see any way they can be punitive against the UK without harming themselves. They are in a no win situation. Make nice with the UK as quickly as possible to focus on fixing all their other problems or try to punish them and make things worse for themselves.

There's no way that the EU can be upbeat again anytime in the near future. Which is precisely why the people of Scotland will reject joining any time soon. On principle they may want it, but they will know doing so will be far worse unless the EU makes an amazing comeback before that time.

I agree but they have no option.

The **** is flying out of the fan now. The UK switched the fan on on and now 27 countries will be trying to push the UK in front of that fan knowing that they cannot avoid the brown stuff too but hoping the UK cops the worst of it.

All divorces get ugly especially when there are high stakes. Most though start off thinking it could be amicable. No side will win here but it is the degree to which each side loses that will be crucial.

I was a strong advocate for Scotland to stay in the Union in 2014 but I think that the SNP and the people of Scotland should now look to Europe.

I agree but they have no option.

The **** is flying out of the fan now. The UK switched the fan on on and now 27 countries will be trying to push the UK in front of that fan knowing that they cannot avoid the brown stuff too but hoping the UK cops the worst of it.

All divorces get ugly especially when there are high stakes. Most though start off thinking it could be amicable. No side will win here but it is the degree to which each side loses that will be crucial.

I was a strong advocate for Scotland to stay in the Union in 2014 but I think that the SNP and the people of Scotland should now look to Europe.

In regards to the last part - quite a lot of English people wrote that online yesterday. Some have joked about coming to Scotland to live now. I know quite a few people who wanted to stay in the union but are now saying things have completely changed for them now.

Your post about the EU wanting the worst for the UK now is scary

In regards to the last part - quite a lot of English people wrote that online yesterday. Some have joked about coming to Scotland to live now. I know quite a few people who wanted to stay in the union but are now saying things have completely changed for them now.

There is actually an online petition for London to leave the UK too. Set up as a principality like Singapore and remain in Europe lol. I know it is totally tongue-in-cheek but when the people can no longer blame Europe for their problems they blame London next so it may be advantageous to the rest of England to have London go it alone. Don't know where the borders would be though I guess they could give the home counties an option to be part of London or stay as Little Britain.

Actually many financial institutions may find it easier to relocate from London to Edinburgh (say) than to Bonn so there are some amazing prospects for somewhere like Edinburgh to usurp London.

As a condition of membership, wouldn't Scotland have to accept the Euro and all EU legislation?

That's my understanding though I think the Euro is conditional on meeting eligibility criteria which is why more recent joiners are not using the Euro. Given there will be issues trying to retain the pound after break away then the Euro may be their only option.

There will be other hurdles to overcome for sure which swung the vote to 'No' in 2014.

Does Britain have the Euro today ?

No. But if Britain wanted to rejoin they could not opt out of the Euro as I understand it. If they met the conditions then they would have to accept the Euro. Britain would lose all other concessions and opt-outs they have negotiated too. One of the reasons that there would definitely be no going back.

No. But if Britain wanted to rejoin they could not opt out of the Euro as I understand it. If they met the conditions then they would have to accept the Euro. Britain would lose all other concessions and opt-outs they have negotiated too. One of the reasons that there would definitely be no going back.

The EU would negotiate to get the UK back in if they could.

They need UK more than the other way round.

But you are right there will be no going back. UK will be out now for good.

Our scottish notes dont get accepted anywhere anyway, its as if its monopoly money.. only joking. I wouldnt be particularly pleased about the euro. It was one of the issues for me in thay ref

It's because Scottish notes are issued by private companies. "Bank of Scotland" may sound similar to "Bank of England" but it's not the country's reserve bank. You may as well use Tesco vouchers as currency.

The EU would negotiate to get the UK back in if they could.

They need UK more than the other way round.

But you are right there will be no going back. UK will be out now for good.

Agree...but I really do think the damage is done, there really is no going back.

It's only certain places in England that get funny. In Keswick they didn't care but in Yorkshire she was really rude about it. When I worked on herm island we took everything - scottish, English, euros Tec. Euros were annoying though

When I worked in a shop in my youth I refused to accept the Scottish money without a supervisor checking it.

I had no idea what it was supposed to look like and didn't want to responsible for getting scammed with monopoly money, so I can see why people are funny about it.

When I worked in a shop in my youth I refused to accept the Scottish money without a supervisor checking it.

I had no idea what it was supposed to look like and didn't want to responsible for getting scammed with monopoly money, so I can see why people are funny about it.

Thats true. I swapped some money in sydney and they took some but wouldnt take my clydesdale notes. I gave my australian friend one and she loves it haha. On herm i took a out of date english note by accident and got into big trouble. I pointed out did they have a clue about scottish notes and tney quickly shut up. So i see your point! I always use my card now so its no big deal when i visit England next time. Are london the same with the notes? I was tempted to try to see the reaction but i used my card

On herm i took a out of date english note by accident and got into big trouble.

You should have pointed out that English notes never go out of date. They get taken out of circulation sure, but the Bank of England will always honour them - but as the historic bank notes are invariably worth more to collectors than their face value they tend not to need to exchange bank notes from the 1800s even though they would!