eu referendum update

bunbury61

Do you have family in Boston? We do it's my husbands home town, and there are a lot of unhappy people there. Highest murder per capita in UK apparently, schools etc. overcrowded. Whether you agree/sympathise or not some people's lives and neighbourhoods have been impacted by the unrestricted movement from the EU, and possibly that influenced how they voted.

You would think that if the population is growing to the point that schools were overcrowded, there would be jobs a-plenty in building new schools, new houses, new shops, etc. And then jobs staffing them up. Of course, if you are some knuckle-dragging workshy bigot with no qualifications then I can see why you might be threatened by an influx of more employable foreigners, but normally population growth will grow the economy. Especially when the population growth is in the form of people of working age who have demonstrated their ambition by moving to a new country in search of better prospects.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you think so? I'm surprised you've moved to Australia then, surely a very bigoted country, having immigration controls an all, or is it somehow OK for Australia but not the U.K?

Well, I can't imagine that any bigots voted Remain?

Not saying that immigration is not an issue but it did become the main (or only) issue for most. Given that unemployment was falling in the UK despite immigration the issue was blown out of proportion. It really became easy to pick on East Europeans because they are white and you cannot then be so easily accused of racism. There are hundreds of thousands of French citizens in the UK too but that was never mentioned.

Do you think so? I'm surprised you've moved to Australia then, surely a very bigoted country, having immigration controls an all, or is it somehow OK for Australia but not the U.K?

Yes well now you mention it, it was a factor in my decision to leave when I saw Australia's attitude towards asylum seekers, I do not know how anyone can approve of this offshore indeterminate detention, the Australian govt seem to be just immune to any international criticism of locking people away with no end in sight in the most appalling conditions and not allowing any national or international access to publicise their case.

Well, I can't imagine that any bigots voted Remain?

Not saying that immigration is not an issue but it did become the main (or only) issue for most. Given that unemployment was falling in the UK despite immigration the issue was blown out of proportion. It really became easy to pick on East Europeans because they are white and you cannot then be so easily accused of racism. There are hundreds of thousands of French citizens in the UK too but that was never mentioned.

no doubt some people who voted out, did it out of bigotry, but to label everyone that voted out is a bigot is as stupid as calling anyone that is concerned about immigration a racist, I didn't see a problem with immigration myself, but obviously a lot of people did, so I think we should engage with them and try to point out the benefits of immigration, unfortunately the arrogant hard of thinking just dismiss those that disagree with them, so pushing people closer to the extremes.

no doubt some people who voted out, did it out of bigotry, but to label everyone that voted out is a bigot is as stupid as calling anyone that is concerned about immigration a racist, I didn't see a problem with immigration myself, but obviously a lot of people did, so I think we should engage with them and try to point out the benefits of immigration, unfortunately the arrogant hard of thinking just dismiss those that disagree with them, so pushing people closer to the extremes.

I agree.

My earlier comment didn't say that but was a bit flippant.

I agree.

My earlier comment didn't say that but was a bit flippant.

I just wish Remain had pushed the positives of the EU and open boarders, rather that trying to scare and bully people, maybe, just maybe the result would have been different.

I just wish Remain had pushed the positives of the EU and open boarders, rather that trying to scare and bully people, maybe, just maybe the result would have been different.

I agree. Some of the crap Osborne came out with in particular made me cringe. He should have resigned before Cameron.

I'm rather afraid that this was inevitable, once the leave campaign focused on immigration any rational argument was negated, this is why Germany outlaws referendums because the Nazis used the same tactics with referendums in the 1930's to consolidate their power.

My concern is that when all the promised reforms are watered down and down where will people's political allegiances go to now that the vitriol of racism has been legitimated in this campaign.

I agree. Some of the crap Osborne came out with in particular made me cringe. He should have resigned before Cameron.

When Cameron came out with the third world war quote I shuddered, that was the beginning of the end, and then Osborne with his Brexit budget, but then you had Boris who really wanted to stay in, representing leave, and Corbyn for Remain, when he really wanted out, what hope have you got!!!!

Same old lazy argument that you must be a bigot if you think immigration is a problem, when will the left ever learn, never probably.

Business like cheap labour.

Immigration gives cheap labour.

Business has a hold over Tories and labour centre right.

Tories and labour centre right favour immigration.

A vote for the Tories and labour centre right is a vote for immigration.

A vote for labour left will destroy the economy and take us back to the dark days of the seventies.

How do you win?

Answer, become rich.

Voting won't help you.

When Cameron came out with the third world war quote I shuddered, that was the beginning of the end, and then Osborne with his Brexit budget, but then you had Boris who really wanted to stay in, representing leave, and Corbyn for Remain, when he really wanted out, what hope have you got!!!!

To be fair, if corbyn had campaigned to leave we probably would have stayed.

You would think that if the population is growing to the point that schools were overcrowded, there would be jobs a-plenty in building new schools, new houses, new shops, etc. And then jobs staffing them up. Of course, if you are some knuckle-dragging workshy bigot with no qualifications then I can see why you might be threatened by an influx of more employable foreigners, but normally population growth will grow the economy. Especially when the population growth is in the form of people of working age who have demonstrated their ambition by moving to a new country in search of better prospects.

Out of interest where is the money coming from? my lasting memory of our last visit last year was of how many men were just hanging about in groups. Don't think they were local, didn't have a lincolnshire accent.

I'm not istarting an arguement I was just telling it how locals feel, when they see there local community changing so much.

You are right though there are plenty of new shops.

Out of interest where is the money coming from? my lasting memory of our last visit last year was of how many men were just hanging about in groups. Don't think they were local, didn't have a lincolnshire accent.

I'm not istarting an arguement I was just telling it how locals feel, when they see there local community changing so much.

You are right though there are plenty of new shops.

Well, if I had free movement throughout the EU and was resigned to being unemployed, Boston is just about the last place I'd choose to be. New migrants soon find their feet - they are people with get up and go. The main social problem is that the knuckle-dragging locals resent watching people coming in with nothing and soon overtaking them. Makes them realise that they could have done the same if only they had the will and the talent.

Well, if I had free movement throughout the EU and was resigned to being unemployed, Boston is just about the last place I'd choose to be. New migrants soon find their feet - they are people with get up and go. The main social problem is that the knuckle-dragging locals resent watching people coming in with nothing and soon overtaking them. Makes them realise that they could have done the same if only they had the will and the talent.

That's my family summed up by you then. Might come as a shock but we ( is ) educated!!!! Honest.

All British citizens can sign this petition if they want to it has now had the highest number of signatures ever in just one day.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215'>https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions

Too late now.

We should have a petition to ban referendums, they are too easily hijacked by cynical populist issues at the expense of proper informed debate.

Archived