Would you risk it?

Becks22

Hi all

we are close (I hope) to the end of our migration journey and am hoping to hold my visa case officer to the 3 month window advertised on the DIBP website. We have sold our house (our choice, we are able to move in to parents accommodation for a few weeks for free) and we complete on 27th May. The shippers are booked to pack up on 25th May and then our goods will be shipped in June (no exact date but I assume first half). They reckon it will only take 4 weeks to arrive in Adelaide but will then be subject to the expected checks etc, and therefore a probable further couple of weeks or so. The problem is, although we have a visa case officer (see timeline below), at this stage it is terribly quiet on the visa front. Would you risk shipping your goods before you got your visa? We are waiting for 189. I'm thinking we should just risk it, but wondered whether in other peoples opinion this is complete madness or a calculated risk? I'm hoping our visa turns up in time for us to fly out at the beginning of July.

opinions very welcome!

I don't think you can ship your items without giving the shipping company a copy of your visa. Whilst they are currently booked, at the point where they ask for your visa details, you will hit a stumbling block.

JEM44 is right. You cannot ship without a valid visa so your question should be redundant.

On a side issue I am not aware of any that can ship in just 4 weeks. Ours was door to door in 7 weeks which is very good by all the accounts I have read on PIO over the years. The actually sailing time to Brisbane was 6 weeks.

Thanks everyone. I spoke to the receptionist, who suggested I could just forward my visa when it arrived. I think maybe she wasn't clear either. If we can't ship without it then as you say, its a moot point. That's why it's handy sometimes posting your inner thoughts, because sometimes they are just nonsense! I did think 4 weeks was rather quick and I asked her to check. Tbh we don't really mind if it takes longer, I was expecting to have to wait 9-12 weeks so anything less than this is a bonus!

Thanks everyone. I spoke to the receptionist, who suggested I could just forward my visa when it arrived. I think maybe she wasn't clear either. If we can't ship without it then as you say, its a moot point. That's why it's handy sometimes posting your inner thoughts, because sometimes they are just nonsense! I did think 4 weeks was rather quick and I asked her to check. Tbh we don't really mind if it takes longer, I was expecting to have to wait 9-12 weeks so anything less than this is a bonus!

There is no way on gods earth your shipment will take four weeks. There is also no way you can ship a personal consignment without a visa. I would be avoiding the company you are speaking to and find one that knows what they are doing!

And no, I would not even think about shipping before visa, visas can be declined..

Agree with the others. You won't be able to ship your belongings without a visa grant in place. Whoever is signing the paperwork (ie you) must have a valid visa and proof of it or be an Aus passport holder.

Also the 4 weeks is never going to happen. Most people take 8 weeks plus, some 10-12, some longer.

Have you researched your chosen shipping company and checked reviews etc on them?

I have to say I also wouldn't have sold the house - a visa is never guaranteed until you have it in your hand

The house sale was separate form our emigration. This was an entirely different decision and completely right for us no matter what had happened with the visa. As it turned out, we now have it in our hand and the money we have from the house sale helps put us on a great footing.:cute:

Archived