Life in Melbourne

TravellingKatherine

I moved to Melbourne in December 2015 after 3 years in Sydney. 5 months in, no regrets whatsoever. Although Melbourne is a big city in Aus speak, its not comparable to say a London, Paris, NY - I'm originally from London.

Although I'm not single and have my Aussie partner, dog and cat, I wouldn't hesitate to move here on my own. Melbourne is a great place to live.

A few reasons why:

Public transport is good, Sydney is a pain to get around without a car unless you are in a well connected city or inner suburb

Restaurants and bars everywhere, generally excellent quality

More affordable than Sydney

Just a better vibe all round, although there is some pretentiousness there are notably less hipster knobs here

Life here is easy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That does make sense. Prahran has one of the hospitals I like to work in in it, but whether I can afford to live there on one fairly small wage I don't know.

The Alfred would be a great location to work in - right opposite a lovely park, within walking distance of the city and also the nightlife of St Kilda, Chapel St, Commercial St etc.

You wouldn't need a car and could probably even get away without public transport if you lived in Prahran or Windsor or even St Kilda.

BB

• 3 weeks later...
My wife keeps going on about how cold the 'weather in Melbourne in Winter' will be, yet we spend half our year in a third of the temperatures....

B

Cooler compared to more northern Australian cities, tropical compared to most of the UK!

I love winter in Melbourne - sunny, clear days, no frosts or snow (unless you live in the Dandenongs or something), and no worries about hats and sunscreen all the time!

BB

• 3 weeks later...

Look at this way

UK winter : The darkness starts from October, grey skies all the way through November and Feb, frost most days from Feb to April with the recent years giving way to blue skies from mid March.....you still freeze your bits off right through April

Melbourne winter : Hmmm, a few days of grey skies, thanks to its crazy weather system and location, an average winter day may have few hours of clouds giving way to bright sunshine.....no sunrise at 9am and sunset by 3pm, dont freeze your bits off constantly but do need a jacket

Warmth in the house : most of the flats and new builds have heating, you have to try your best and be a little blind to not find a place with decent heating on a few of those cold nights, which usually last from 7pm to maybe 8am (on most days that is)

As someone said, its not a comparison of any sorts. Even with its constant seasons in a day, Melbourne's weather is far ahead of the grey misery that we call winter for almost 7 months at home in the UK :)

KnK

Melbourne's weather is far ahead of the grey misery that we call winter for almost 7 months at home in the UK :)

Indeed - look at the next 7 days of winter! Today and tomorrow are looking a bit average but after that it looks very pleasant for mid-winter.

Capture.JPG

BB

Capture.JPG

Edited by buzzy--bee

• 3 months later...
Winter this year wasnt bad at all, was monitoring it all the way through!

KnK

Curious to what city/state you live in, your profile says you are in the UK, but looking at some at your posts I am assuming Melbourne?

I am in Melbourne and would say this winter was cold and my heating bill proves it, had a shock when it came through. I suppose it does not help I WFH and the house is pretty typical standard build for Melbourne, no insulation and no double glazing.

It has been a cold Winter this year and we have had the fire going every day and night since May(except for June when we were away in hot Norway) Nothing compared with the cold in the UK though- that is just unbearable. We always get a fair number of bright sunny days no matter what the time of year which makes all the difference. I never have to wear gloves, either , which is good.

Curious to what city/state you live in, your profile says you are in the UK, but looking at some at your posts I am assuming Melbourne?

I am in Melbourne and would say this winter was cold and my heating bill proves it, had a shock when it came through. I suppose it does not help I WFH and the house is pretty typical standard build for Melbourne, no insulation and no double glazing.

We are still stuck in the UK waiting for our home to be sold. Monitoring Melbourne closely as we have family there.

You definitely know better than me about the winter this year, I've only been comparing it with UK and going by what my 2 cousins have been telling me. They live in new build with insulation and double glazing, and dont WFH so it's a different experience actually. I am quite pleased that this year's winter was colder, it means not all winters would be even this cold, sweet :-)

KnK

We are still stuck in the UK waiting for our home to be sold. Monitoring Melbourne closely as we have family there.

You definitely know better than me about the winter this year, I've only been comparing it with UK and going by what my 2 cousins have been telling me. They live in new build with insulation and double glazing, and dont WFH so it's a different experience actually. I am quite pleased that this year's winter was colder, it means not all winters would be even this cold, sweet :-)

KnK

Ah OK, I thought from some of your posts you where actually in Melbourne. My misunderstanding.

Your cousins are very lucky, as I have not encountered any property with insulation or double glazing here. Guess I am unlucky.

Slightly off topic, but one of my Canadian colleagues said his first winter in Melbourne felt colder than back home. I did find that ironic and quite funny.

Another slight of topic thing I found, is how many thermal items of clothing I now own. Never owned any in the UK.

Edited by evets
typo

Winter this year wasnt bad at all, was monitoring it all the way through!

KnK

Yes, Melbourne winter wouldn't be bad at all when you actually live 17,000 km away in the UK and it's summer time.

Those of us actually living in Melbourne have found the winter to be cold this year and it was cold and rainy today.

Ah OK, I thought from some of your posts you where actually in Melbourne. My misunderstanding.

Your cousins are very lucky, as I have not encountered any property with insulation or double glazing here. Guess I am unlucky.

Slightly off topic, but one of my Canadian colleagues said his first winter in Melbourne felt colder than back home. I did find that ironic and quite funny.

Another slight of topic thing I found, is how many thermal items of clothing I now own. Never owned any in the UK.

My cousins constructed their house and given they lived in the Middle East for many years they had insulation at the top of their list. Now that I think of it, I am not sure of the double glazing although the windows did look like double glazed ones.....

It is strange that your Canadian friend found it colder and that you have more thermals than in the UK, how and why!!!!

KnK

Yes, Melbourne winter wouldn't be bad at all when you actually live 17,000 km away in the UK and it's summer time.

Those of us actually living in Melbourne have found the winter to be cold this year and it was cold and rainy today.

Maybe I wasnt clear, I am comparing only, nothing more. We were in British summer but that doesnt mean I forgot how wonderful UK winters are. So as a temperature/rain/sunny skies winter comparison (and without even spending a single winter in Mel), Aussie winters feel a lot brighter, less colder and not as grey death of doom dreary compared to UK

KnK