Bit of a query

Angelique

Hi I am new to the forum and this is my first post. Both our children have migrated to Australia. Eldest some time ago and youngest last year. We hope to spend our winters out in Aus and late spring/summers in the UK, but are unsure how we can do this with regard to visitors visas. Youngest did say that she had heard of people visiting New Zealand and renewing visa then returning, which seems a bit extreme to me. Does anyone have any ideas how we can do this???

Hi I am new to the forum and this is my first post. Both our children have migrated to Australia. Eldest some time ago and youngest last year. We hope to spend our winters out in Aus and late spring/summers in the UK, but are unsure how we can do this with regard to visitors visas. Youngest did say that she had heard of people visiting New Zealand and renewing visa then returning, which seems a bit extreme to me. Does anyone have any ideas how we can do this???

I would have thought you could just do this on a tourist visa.

You can get visitor visas for 6 months which should cover the length of time you want to stay. If you did get the three month electronic visa, then yes it could be renewed with a trip to NZ, but the six month visa obviously a better option unless you particularly want to visit NZ.

The 601/651 visas allow you multiple entries, staying for 3 months at a time, within a 12 month period. You would need to do a "visa run" to NZ and back every 3 months with this one. The 600 visa costs more but you can stay for up to 12 months negating the need to fly to NZ.

It pretty much comes down to cost and convenience.

In my case i would rather give the money to Air NZ than the Australian govt, and will be taking the free 651 visa. And NZ is a nice place to visit for sure.

The 601/651 visas allow you multiple entries, staying for 3 months at a time, within a 12 month period. You would need to do a "visa run" to NZ and back every 3 months with this one. The 600 visa costs more but you can stay for up to 12 months negating the need to fly to NZ.

It pretty much comes down to cost and convenience.

In my case i would rather give the money to Air NZ than the Australian govt, and will be taking the free 651 visa. And NZ is a nice place to visit for sure.

However if DIBP think that the OP is trying to live her on tourist visas, and just do visa-runs every three months, they can and may refuse entry.......

However if DIBP think that the OP is trying to live her on tourist visas, and just do visa-runs every three months, they can and may refuse entry.......

I've mentioned what happened to my friend before.

She was on the 1 year visa exiting every 3 months. She had one daughter in Sydney and one in Aukland, so every 3 months spent time in NZ.

When she returned for her final 3 months, she was taken from the immigration desk, left in a room by herself and had her passport taken.

She was then grilled!!! yes grilled about her intentions, was asked to prove where she had visited as she was on a tourist visa.

She is no shrinking violet and had been an ex pat in various countries so well travelled, but as a single lady in her 60's she was very shaken.

Eventually just sent on her way, no explanation, so just warning that immigration can be very suspicious about people on long term tourist visas.

Refuse entry to a parent visiting children? The visa clearly states it's purpose is to visit family.

But you are correct, they can still refuse entry if they want to.

Maybe they are worried about a 60 yo grandmother doing cash jobs?

Just proves how silly they are in my book.

Archived