medicare

Mamailks

I didn't take any documents other than the visa grant documentation which the Medicare staff will ask to see.

To clarify, Medicare are a government organisation. All they need to decide is are you entitled to medicare or not?

If you want to take some medical documentation to your new local gp in Australia, then that is a different matter. Again, we took no documents, but some people emigrating feel the need to gather together some medical history.

Thanks

I found a form to fill in, but might just go to a medicare centre when we get there. How long did it take you to get a medicare card?

I just want to be sorted in case out happens with our daughters Asthma when we arrive.

Thanks

Way back when we came we just went into a center and from memory they asked to see passports with the visa's in for each applicant. Each applicant over 18 had to be present. They then post your cards out to you.

They won''t be interested in any medical conditions, they are pretty much just an office that register you and issue cards.

Cal x

Took us a total of 10 trips to Medicare centre to get one as they found one reason after another not to give it, all completely inaccurate. Finally took her to another Medicare Office, handled it myself and it was through in ten minutes (after a wait of over half an hour to get to the desk as the line snaked right down the street). A nightmare if you dont give them the right key words. They have been deliberately starving Medicare of funds, staff in our local have dropped from eight to two and now the disgruntled overworked staff dont want to do a thing.

Took us a total of 10 trips to Medicare centre to get one as they found one reason after another not to give it, all completely inaccurate. Finally took her to another Medicare Office, handled it myself and it was through in ten minutes (after a wait of over half an hour to get to the desk as the line snaked right down the street). A nightmare if you dont give them the right key words. They have been deliberately starving Medicare of funds, staff in our local have dropped from eight to two and now the disgruntled overworked staff dont want to do a thing.

Key words?

"I would like to register for Medicare please. Here is my passport. Here is my visa grant letter. Here is other proof of my ID" (hand over bills, bank statement, rent agreement etc etc).

The staff don't have any other decision to make. Based on the info you provide to them, you are either entitled to medicare or you are not.

Really? I don't remember anything being simpler. Walked into first office I saw, filled a form in, all done and dusted.

Really? I don't remember anything being simpler. Walked into first office I saw, filled a form in, all done and dusted.

I would agree Bungo, out of everything we had to do when we first arrived, Medicare was by far the easiest, maybe times have changed or just certain branch's / jobsworth's are bad! but not in my experience to date.

We found it straightforward too. We just went in with our passports, visa letter and another ID and they issued us with a temporary card on the spot. The proper cards came in the post about a week later. We were on a 457 at first, so we had to renew yearly, but that was no trouble either.

I brought our medical records, but other than our kids vaccination history which the doctor/nurse wanted to see and copy so they could notify medicare that they had had their immunisations, they've never been looked at.

Thanks

I found a form to fill in, but might just go to a medicare centre when we get there. How long did it take you to get a medicare card?

I just want to be sorted in case out happens with our daughters Asthma when we arrive.

You don't have to worry about bringing her medical history. Doctors in Australia are far, far more experienced with asthma than the average British doctor, because Australia has one of the highest rates of asthma in the world so most medical practices will be very accustomed to treating asthmatic children. It's likely they will want to do their own assessment anyway.

You don't have to worry about bringing her medical history. Doctors in Australia are far, far more experienced with asthma than the average British doctor, because Australia has one of the highest rates of asthma in the world so most medical practices will be very accustomed to treating asthmatic children. It's likely they will want to do their own assessment anyway.

Have to say I am shocked at the easy availablity of asthma inhalers here. I went to a GP to get a ventolin inhaler when I first arrived, didn't bother with an examination, just told me to go to the chemist and buy one. And I've done that ever since. So thats 20 years of never being checked to see if I really need one, no check on the amount I get through! Admittedly I am happy to self-medicate and it saves a fortune in GP fees, but still doesn't seem right that they are so easily available.

• 2 months later...
if you emigrate on skilled visa can you apply for medicare the moment you land?

Yes, and in fact if you are migrating from a country with a reciprocal agreement (such as the UK) then this is the case for temporary visas to, even working holiday visas.

I didn't know we could get Medicare on a 457 visa as we had to have proof of private health insurance when we applied. Does that mean we can cancel the PHI once we get our Medicare cards. Thanks for your help anyone who knows.

I didn't know we could get Medicare on a 457 visa as we had to have proof of private health insurance when we applied. Does that mean we can cancel the PHI once we get our Medicare cards. Thanks for your help anyone who knows.

Yes you can, bare in mind though that you get the

reciprocal agreement medicare which covers eassential treatment (I don't really know what this means as it definitely is not just emergency treatment) and there is a lot medicare doesn't cover for anyone eg dental, ambulance (depending on state), stuff like physio (unless you are on a chronic illness care plan)

plus depending on your income if you don't have it you will have to pay the medicare levy (I don't know the current threshold but a few years back it was family income of more than $150,000)

Plus if you are over 30 you have 1 year to get PHI and if you don't but

want to at anytime in the

future you will be hit with 'lifetime loading' a tax that seriously increases the

price of PHI

Make sure you get a medicare card though as PHI doesn't cover GP appointments etc

Thank you Lady Rainicorn, went yesterday and filled in the forms after a bit of a wait, but they will be posting out cards in a few weeks. We won't cancel our PHI though just in case we need it and we think our visa says you must have it anyway.

Thank you Lady Rainicorn, went yesterday and filled in the forms after a bit of a wait, but they will be posting out cards in a few weeks. We won't cancel our PHI though just in case we need it and we think our visa says you must have it anyway.

On a 457 you can cancel it if you wish, I would certainly shop around as the 'overseas visitor' policies are much more expensive and you don't need that from the UK.

Look on the iSelect website

I am about to join Medicare program and I do have private health cover ( costing $209 per month). My concern is do I must have private cover after joining Medicare? I am in ground about this things so please suggest me on this matter.

many thanks in advance

I am about to join Medicare program and I do have private health cover ( costing $209 per month). My concern is do I must have private cover after joining Medicare? I am in ground about this things so please suggest me on this matter.

many thanks in advance

Unless your visa stipulates you must have private cover, it is totally up to you if you keep it once you are entitled and enrolled to Medicare cover.

Cal x

Archived