General Thoughts Victoria vs Queensland

kaiapoilady

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi, yes I've lived in both states and have to say, I prefer Queensland. Victoria is very much like the UK and has the seasons to match so it does appeal to some more than others. Queensland, depending where you are, is more Mediterranean or further North more tropical.

There are probably more job opportunities in Melbourne than Brisbane.

I agree with the Pom Queen, for much the same reasons. However, it really depends what you're looking for and what you like or don't. I know people who have moved from Qld because they just couldn't live with the humidity/temperature - yet this is something that I don't mind. I know others who moved from Qld because it felt too 'small town' compared to Melbourne and Sydney - Brisbane just didn't hit the spot for them.

For me Melbourne and Brisbane have two very distinct feels, weather, food options, entertainment options, housing, employment are all things that come into that. There is no right or wrong choice, its about what fits for you and your likes/dislikes, needs, aspirations etc.

I am talking from my experience of living in Melbourne and now Brisbane - I don't have any experience of living regional in either location. That will be different again.

Hey Everyone

Just wondering if anyone has lived in both states and prefer's one over the other, what's your reason for this??

Cheers and have a great day :)

Depends what you want from life! Could you give us some clues on what you are looking for from your move to Australia that you currently don't have in New Zealand?

I've lived in NZ and find that Melbourne offers the best of NZ lifestyle and UK economy, but I can't compare with QLD as I haven't lived there, just visited.

BB

Thanks guys, I have moved over from NZ just over a year ago and I am in Sydney, have been for about 15-16 month's now. (But I am a Yorkshire Lass)

I love Melbourne, the shopping, the dining out, the countryside etc etc..Oh and our son lives there, absolute bonus on that one, (however we don't know he will stay there, he's in his mid twenties :) I have only ever visited Melbourne and Brisbane, never lived there. So I have been to Melbourne in the winter time and was very surprised by how cold it is, however that doesn't worry me too much. But hubby loves the beaches of Queensland :)

On the other hand, a few weeks ago I went to Brisbane to check it out, and wow I loved it, the beaches, the weather, house's way more affordable than Melbourne and Sydney.

I was rather concerned about the humidity in Queensland, but it's pretty bad here in Sydney too in the summer, so will it be any worse ??

Hubby can transfer with his job you see, but we are in our late fourties and don't really want to shift again now after this until retirement, so trying to choose wisely :)

Thoughts???

Thanks guys, I have moved over from NZ just over a year ago and I am in Sydney, have been for about 15-16 month's now. (But I am a Yorkshire Lass)

I love Melbourne, the shopping, the dining out, the countryside etc etc..Oh and our son lives there, absolute bonus on that one, (however we don't know he will stay there, he's in his mid twenties :) I have only ever visited Melbourne and Brisbane, never lived there. So I have been to Melbourne in the winter time and was very surprised by how cold it is, however that doesn't worry me too much. But hubby loves the beaches of Queensland :)

On the other hand, a few weeks ago I went to Brisbane to check it out, and wow I loved it, the beaches, the weather, house's way more affordable than Melbourne and Sydney.

I was rather concerned about the humidity in Queensland, but it's pretty bad here in Sydney too in the summer, so will it be any worse ??

Hubby can transfer with his job you see, but we are in our late fourties and don't really want to shift again now after this until retirement, so trying to choose wisely :)

Thoughts???

I haven't lived in either, but have visited both and spent a lot of time in Brisbane in particular, a few days every fortnight for work. I lived in Sydney. Yes I think you feel the humidity more in Brisbane, but it isn't Cairns either and I don't think it is unbearably worse than Sydney. For me would be an easy choice as I don't like Melbourne at all and I also love the Queensland coast and all the places to visit. However you seem to like both cities and have son in one so a bit harder. In this case perhaps affordability comes into it, in which case again Brusbane wins hands down.

Yikes, I kind of thought you might say that. I have only visited Queensland on holiday, never lived there, and I hate it when it get's too hot. This is why I am thinking Melbourne may be better for us climate wise, also the job situation for me might be better too.

I'm from Sydney and used to visit my friends on Mt Tamborine around Christmas for years. We used to go down to Southport for shopping and I could not cope with the humidity at all - far worse than Sydney.

As others have said, it's a personal thing - my friend never minded the humidity, in fact I think she preferred it. But if you know the humidity in Sydney bothers you, I'd steer clear of Queensland.

The humidity is way worse in qld than Sydney! No doubt about that!

Humidity is not bad at all in SE Queensland, it's not as though it is humid every day either. A lot of it is down to mind-set, a little like people that do not like the long haul flights, if you think you are going to be cooped up in a small tube sat in uncomfortable seats, then that is exactly what you will get. go thinking that you will be waited on for food and drink, watch films and tv, play games listen to music, read books, have a walk around and chat to people then the whole experience becomes enjoyable:smile:

I'm from Sydney and used to visit my friends on Mt Tamborine around Christmas for years. We used to go down to Southport for shopping and I could not cope with the humidity at all - far worse than Sydney.

As others have said, it's a personal thing - my friend never minded the humidity, in fact I think she preferred it. But if you know the humidity in Sydney bothers you, I'd steer clear of Queensland.

Wuss!

If you can afford to live near the bayside then the sea breezes keep the humidity down. We are a few miles inland so it is a bit more humid where we are. Perfectly tolerable though and if you make sure you have aircon you can eliminate much of the effects of it. That said, if you hate humidity, then Queensland in summer may not be for you.

But at least we seem to max out at 35C here and don't get those 40+ temperatures you get in Melbourne from time to time.

Humidity is not bad at all in SE Queensland, it's not as though it is humid every day either. A lot of it is down to mind-set, a little like people that do not like the long haul flights, if you think you are going to be cooped up in a small tube sat in uncomfortable seats, then that is exactly what you will get. go thinking that you will be waited on for food and drink, watch films and tv, play games listen to music, read books, have a walk around and chat to people then the whole experience becomes enjoyable:smile:

What I will say is I have been here nearly 5 years, so it clearly doesn't bother me living here - but I can tell you that being heavily pregnant in the humidity here takes more than a mindset to help! It is uncomfortable. No two ways about that...

I would also say that I point out to the OP it is more humid in Qld because it is, and if what they experience in Sydney is difficult for them then it would be unfair not to point out that it is more so up here. If they struggle in NSW then its not going to be any easier up here in QLD, however Melbourne would be a different story.

Wuss!

I hope that was said in jest.

I think it's insulting to say it's a mindset, that implies people just have to change their minds and they'll have no problem, which is just rubbish. When I was younger, I never minded the humidity in Sydney. It's only once I started to go through menopause that I started to find it hard going. I was hoping I'd get back to normal after menopause, but no - I still don't handle humidity well and couldn't contemplate living in Queensland, even down South.

That's unlucky for me, but I know I'm not alone. I lived in Australia for 30 years and know people who revel in a warm, humid climate (my sister is one of them!) and would be happy as a pig in mud in Queensland, whereas I know others for whom the climate just would not suit. People are different, that's all.

if you hate humidity, then Queensland in summer may not be for you.

But at least we seem to max out at 35C here and don't get those 40+ temperatures you get in Melbourne from time to time.

I'm curious about those 40+ days. I can't handle humidity but I am perfectly happy in extreme heat if it's dry. I suspect that 40+ days in Melbourne would be a drier heat, but not sure?

I like both but for me Melbourne has 'the vibe', Brisbane doesn't. It is more like a country town to me- very nice too but not what I would want permanently. However, I was London born and bred so I guess that colours my perceptions somewhat.

I think this is a pretty succinct summary. I agree Melbourne is more big city vibe and Brisbane country town - I was bought up in a very small town (much smaller than Brisbane) which is why I probably feel Brisbane is enough for me. But I can see how it isn't enough for some who have lived and enjoyed places like London.

I'm curious about those 40+ days. I can't handle humidity but I am perfectly happy in extreme heat if it's dry. I suspect that 40+ days in Melbourne would be a drier heat, but not sure?

Much drier heat, the same as Tasmania. 35-40 in Vic or Tas feels very different to Queensland.

And I agree, its not a mindset. Some people just cannot deal with high temps plus humidity, no matter how long they live here. Everyone has a different reaction to heat and there's nothing they can do to change that.

Much drier heat, the same as Tasmania. 35-40 in Vic or Tas feels very different to Queensland.

And I agree, its not a mindset. Some people just cannot deal with high temps plus humidity, no matter how long they live here. Everyone has a different reaction to heat and there's nothing they can do to change that.

Yes I agree. It is funny how we react differently to different kinds of heat. I'm useless on a hot humid day - but I can recall shopping perfectly happily in Rundle Mall (Adelaide) in 40 degree heat - it was so dry that the sweat evaporated before you even felt it.

What I will say is I have been here nearly 5 years, so it clearly doesn't bother me living here - but I can tell you that being heavily pregnant in the humidity here takes more than a mindset to help! It is uncomfortable. No two ways about that...

I would also say that I point out to the OP it is more humid in Qld because it is, and if what they experience in Sydney is difficult for them then it would be unfair not to point out that it is more so up here. If they struggle in NSW then its not going to be any easier up here in QLD, however Melbourne would be a different story.

But you did not point out it was more humid! you said it was worse! with the first being a statement of fact the second been a personal opinion. Personal health status will have adverse affects either way.

However Brisbane without out doubt has, out of all the capitol cities, the best year round climate and is more consistent too, we do not get the heatwaves as experienced in most other states.

I totally agree. We often meet "climate refugees" in Tasmania who moved here because they never acclimatised to heat and/or humidity in other parts of Australia. We arrived here for that very reason: my English mother couldn't tolerate the humidity of northern NSW even though she persevered for 8 years up there.

The weather in Melbourne is much-maligned.

However it's not that bad. Here by the bay we never get frosts, it never snows or sleets. The coldest daytime max is about 10 degrees, most of the winter it is in the mid-teens.

The spring and autumn are normally in the 20s and even low thirties. Summer is very pleasant. You get the odd 40+ degree day, but there normally is only one at a time, and as has been mentioned, it is a very dry heat, so 40 here feels like 30 in Brisbane, you don't sweat at all.

I quite like the weather in Melbourne, it is certainly better than London where I came from.

BB

I hope that was said in jest.

I think it's insulting to say it's a mindset, that implies people just have to change their minds and they'll have no problem, which is just rubbish. When I was younger, I never minded the humidity in Sydney. It's only once I started to go through menopause that I started to find it hard going. I was hoping I'd get back to normal after menopause, but no - I still don't handle humidity well and couldn't contemplate living in Queensland, even down South.

That's unlucky for me, but I know I'm not alone. I lived in Australia for 30 years and know people who revel in a warm, humid climate (my sister is one of them!) and would be happy as a pig in mud in Queensland, whereas I know others for whom the climate just would not suit. People are different, that's all.

Yes it was in jest, just that putting a wink seems to get one into trouble on this forum!

Not sure why you see mindset insulting, all around the world there are people living in all climates, and apart from the English, none really complain about their climate, that's where they live, that's what the weather is, they live to suit such, and that is pretty much what I and my family and many friends, work colleague's and locals do, and if that is not mind set then I do not know what is.

If folk have some medical conditions that dictate they would benefit from living elsewhere then so be it, whether it be to a cooler or warmer or drier or coastal climate then so be it. For every person that cannot handle humidity there is one that can, things are not worse or better just different.

Surely what you are saying here is mindset? by saying "no matter how long they live here" that they are here for the longer term and have set their mind to deal with it.

Archived