Moving Family & Parents Retiring HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Red16

Hi All, I'm new to the forum - please be gentle :)

So, I, my husband and 2 children (aged 11 &6) are looking to move to Australia and also my parents are interested too (aged dad 65 & mum 61). My mum is a housewife and dad retired Sept 2015. Both are interested in moving out with us to Melbourne (as my hubby has Aunty, Uncle and cousins already there).

I had read that they would need max. of $1250000 (as a combination of assets and $500K for either spouse) OR they could go on a retirement visa - which would last 4 years and then be renewed every year based on them being in good health?? What happens if one of them is ill or dies during this time???!!!

Would really appreciate further info regarding this if anyone can share their knowledge - I'd really appreciate it. My folks just want to know - how much it'll cost for them, what options do they have as they don't have 1.2 million dollars to hand.

Many thanks everyone!

So, I, my husband and 2 children (aged 11 &6) are looking to move to Australia and also my parents are interested too (aged dad 65 & mum 61). My mum is a housewife and dad retired Sept 2015. Both are interested in moving out with us to Melbourne (as my hubby has Aunty, Uncle and cousins already there).

I had read that they would need max. of $1250000 (as a combination of assets and $500K for either spouse) OR they could go on a retirement visa - which would last 4 years and then be renewed every year based on them being in good health?? What happens if one of them is ill or dies during this time???!!!

Would really appreciate further info regarding this if anyone can share their knowledge - I'd really appreciate it. My folks just want to know - how much it'll cost for them, what options do they have as they don't have 1.2 million dollars to hand.

Many thanks everyone!

Many thanks everyone!

If you literally want them to move with you then yes I believe the retirement or investment visas would be the only options. I cannot remember exactly what is required but yes it is a lot of money, for a temporary visa and could well be the very large amounts you mention.

Not sure I understand what you mean when you ask what if one of them dies or becomes ill? Happens to what? To the visa? I wouldn't have thought anything would happen, but as I say not sure I understand the question.

More people would be looking into the parent visa than the returement visa. This is still expensive at $50k each but is a permanent visa, however they could not get it the same time as you. You would have to be resident in Australia for two years before they could apply and then takes about 18 months to process.

You've got one zero too many there - $50k each give or take providing they meet the balance of family requirement but they'll have to wait until you are "settled" - usually 2 years. Contributory Parent Visa the best way to go.

Wouldn't even think of a retirement visa unless they are loaded

Assuming you're coming out on a permanent visa, you'll be able to sponsor them in two years' time (not before). They won't need a million dollars, I think the fee is more like $100,000 - but there are others here who've done it and can give you a more exact figure.

It is challenging, because even if they can afford that by selling their house, that means they'll have to settle for a much smaller house when they get to Oz. Also, bear in mind their British pensions will be frozen in Australia (i.e. they will continue to get their pensions but they won't get any annual increases).

The Retirement Visa isn't really an option because they won't get any government benefits - and that includes medical treatment, which means no free prescriptions, paying for every doctor's visit, hospitalisation etc. They can get health insurance, but in Oz, that doesn't cover everything - there's an excess to pay for every treatment. To give you an example, I had an op a few years ago which cost $35,000. My health insurance refunded me $25,000 but I still had to find $10k from my own pocket. That's too much of a risk for an older person, unless they're very well-heeled!

The first thing is have you established you qualify for a visa?

If not, what are your skills / occupations?

Then, there are a number of hoops parents have to jump through. The first is do you have siblings? The reason being, parents must establish a balance of family. This means the majority of family (or at least equal amount) are living in Australia. So, if you have one brother or sister remaining in the UK, then fine, but more than that and they don't qualify.

Next, you will need to be living in Australia for 2 years before you can sponsor them.

Then, what is their health like? Are they able to pass medicals.

Do they have the funds. A contributory parent visa would be about $130k between them all together. A retirement visa is a more unusual visa and would need both a lot of funds and professional advice to get. It is also a temporary visa that has to be renewed. Yes, if there health deteriorated, it may prevent them renewing.

In relation to the 2 years being resident before sponsoring family, I had a lengthy conversation with DIBP yesterday around sponsorship for my daughter. This is not specified, the criteria is that you are settled as per the section on form 40 Who can sponsor? A sponsor for applicants applying for a Parent category visa,Contributory Parent category visa, Aged Dependent Relativevisa, Remaining Relative visa or Carer visa, must be:

• aged 18 years or over; and

• an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or aneligible New Zealand citizen; and

• a relative of the applicant or if specified in the eligibilitycriteria for the relevant visa class, a cohabiting partner ofthe relative of the applicant; and

• be settled and resident in Australia at the time theapplication is lodged.

You do know that DIPB are notorious for giving out misleading or inaccurate info right? They are not MARA agents...

For the 143 contributory parent visa (found on this link)

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/143-

It specifically lists the 2 year settlement period as a condition for sponsorship...

Who can be a sponsor

You can sponsor your parent for this visa if you are:

• 18 years of age or older
  • living lawfully in Australia for at least two years before the visa application is lodged
  • one of the following:

If you are younger than 18 years of age:

• your spouse who is 18 years of age or older, your relative or guardian, or a relative or guardian of your spouse, can sponsor your parent(s). The sponsor must be an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
  • a community organisation can sponsor your parent(s) if:
    • they show there is a relationship between their organisation and you
    • a senior representative agrees for their organisation to support your parent(s) after their arrival in Australia.

On that same link, under the 'visa applicants' tab it is stated again:

This information tells you what you need to do to apply for a Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143).

All applications for a Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143) are currently processed in Australia. You can be in or outside of Australia at the time of lodging your application.

If you are in Australia, you can apply only if your temporary visa allows you to apply for another visa while you are in Australia. Applications are generally lodged by post or courier to the Parent Visa Centre. For further information see 'How to apply'.

You can be in Australia (but do not have to be) when the visa is granted if you are one of the following:

In all other cases, you must be outside Australia when the visa is granted.

[h=3]Who could get this visa[/h]You might be able to get a permanent Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 143) if you either:

• hold a temporary Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173)
  • have a child who is:
    • an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen
    • lawfully resident in Australia for about two years (a shorter period can be considered for Australian citizens if there are compelling and compassionate circumstances)

[*]meet the balance-of-family test

[*]have an accepted assurance of support

[*]meet health and character requirements.

[h=4]Your sponsor[/h]You must be sponsored by an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. The sponsor needs to have been living lawfully in Australia for at least two years before you apply for this visa. For most applicants, your child or your child's spouse or de facto partner will need to sponsor you.

If your child is younger than 18 years of age you can be sponsored by:

• your child's spouse, if the spouse has turned 18 and is a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
  • a relative or guardian of your child
  • a relative or guardian of your child's spouse, if the spouse has not turned 18 and is a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
  • a community organisation.

More information about sponsoring is available in the 'Sponsors' tab.

I will try to help, to the best of my knowledge.

As Marisa says there is a parent visa, you qualify depending on the balance of family, that means for example if you have 2 children 1 must be at least permanent resident for a minimum? of 2 years in Australia, however if you have 3 children then 2 must be here.

There appear to be several variations of the visa, but the above is the basic qualification.

you will have to google to find out more.

As Marisa wrote the amount you receive from your state pension is frozen when you move to Australia, with no increase unless you go back to UK for a visit, all complicated as you receive the any increase while there and it then reverts back to the frozen amount when you get back to Aus. daft but that's what happens.

The state pension is the only pension that is frozen, any other pensions you receive get any increases if appropriate as usual.

The other thing to consider is that the exchange rate varies for instance while we have been retired here it has swung from $3 to the pound to $11/2 to the pound.

I think the other visa you are thinking about is the 405 investor retirement visa, again google it.

You need between $750.000 or $500.000 depending where you want to live, to invest in your state government plus the same again, prove you have had that amount for 2 years and have at least $60.000 annual income, to the best of my knowledge.

I know several on this visa and it is very very expensive, has to be re applied for every 4 years, costs at least $11000 ? each, to re apply T his is taking about 9 months at the moment so just after 3 years here you have to re apply, and long term not many can afford it

You have to be totally self funded, and have good health cover, which is expensive and unless it has changed, Medibank is now refusing 405 visa holders cover, obviously there are other companies, but it's a strange move.

According to the Immigration minister there are only about 350? on this visa in the country.

In relation to the 2 years being resident before sponsoring family, I had a lengthy conversation with DIBP yesterday around sponsorship for my daughter. This is not specified, the criteria is that you are settled as per the section on form 40 Who can sponsor? A sponsor for applicants applying for a Parent category visa,Contributory Parent category visa, Aged Dependent Relativevisa, Remaining Relative visa or Carer visa, must be:

• aged 18 years or over; and

• an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or aneligible New Zealand citizen; and

• a relative of the applicant or if specified in the eligibilitycriteria for the relevant visa class, a cohabiting partner ofthe relative of the applicant; and

• be settled and resident in Australia at the time theapplication is lodged.

No it is two years residency. I have seen s parent visa denied because sponsor had been in Australia only 18 months or so.

Thanks, looks like I waited 1.5 hrs to receive duff info, I specifically asked the 2 year question and was told that the criteria was to be settled, no timescale given!

Well the person answering the phone was very unlikely to have the knowledge of every single visa to be able to answer visa qualification questions. They are administrators and are there to answer basic admin questions like where to send stuff, how long might something take, what stage an application is at etc. Not much of a helpline at all really.

Assuming you're coming out on a permanent visa, you'll be able to sponsor them in two years' time (not before). They won't need a million dollars, I think the fee is more like $100,000 - but there are others here who've done it and can give you a more exact figure.

It is challenging, because even if they can afford that by selling their house, that means they'll have to settle for a much smaller house when they get to Oz. Also, bear in mind their British pensions will be frozen in Australia (i.e. they will continue to get their pensions but they won't get any annual increases).

The Retirement Visa isn't really an option because they won't get any government benefits - and that includes medical treatment, which means no free prescriptions, paying for every doctor's visit, hospitalisation etc. They can get health insurance, but in Oz, that doesn't cover everything - there's an excess to pay for every treatment. To give you an example, I had an op a few years ago which cost $35,000. My health insurance refunded me $25,000 but I still had to find $10k from my own pocket. That's too much of a risk for an older person, unless they're very well-heeled!

Marisa can you merge the threads?

Thanks, looks like I waited 1.5 hrs to receive duff info, I specifically asked the 2 year question and was told that the criteria was to be settled, no timescale given!

Look at the link I have provided - all info is there and in detail. DIPB are not the people to consult, a MARA registered agent is...

That was why I waited so long apparently, I needed to wait for someone who was experienced in giving advice on that particular visa?!

Never take advice from the department - this board is littered with people who have followed bad advice from the department and lost as a result - they have an indemnity for causing losses. If you need advice, speak to a registered migration agent.

That was why I waited so long apparently, I needed to wait for someone who was experienced in giving advice on that particular visa?!

What others have said - they don't know what they're talking about. When I answered this question originally, it took me about two minutes to find the info about the two years' residency requirement on the immigration website. Sad that their own staff aren't capable of looking things up!

I have a similar question. My wife and I a planning to move next year got the ball roll already. If we become Australian citizens after four years what are the chances of my wife's mum coming over if something should happen to her dad?? There is bit of an age gap between them (8) years.

I have a similar question. My wife and I a planning to move next year got the ball roll already. If we become Australian citizens after four years what are the chances of my wife's mum coming over if something should happen to her dad?? There is bit of an age gap between them (8) years.

As long as she meets the balance of family test, passes the medical and pays the $60k she should be fine - but would she want to uproot herself from all that she knows and has built up over a lifetime to move to a foreign country on the other side of the world?

As long as she meets the balance of family test, passes the medical and pays the $60k she should be fine - but would she want to uproot herself from all that she knows and has built up over a lifetime to move to a foreign country on the other side of the world?

Yes she would they wish they had done it years ago. My brother in-law lives in Holland so there would be nothing to stop her or be here for

When my Dad lived here on a retirement visa he was covered for hospital costs by insurance which he had to pay as a condition of his coming over. In those days it cost around $3,500 a year but only covered hospital stays- not doctors fees or medication. Fortunately he was quite healthy until he died suddenly because nursing home fees and high level care was not covered- he would have had to be cared for at home by us.

Archived