Tradies returning to the UK

Chortlepuss

People probably know this already but if you're a kitchen fitter, plasterer, electrician, builder moving back to the UK (at least to South East UK), be prepared for a big boost to your bank balance - The cost of hiring tradesmen in the UK in my area has soared through the roof and many people cannot find good workers at any price.....

Not great news for me (I need to renovate my house following rental damage) but great news for anyone wondering if there will be work

If he is making a good living why not I suppose. It wouldn't be the norm though.

Wrong....it is the norm for most trades, London maybe running away cost wise however most areas outside are quite static. My brother runs a small decorating company, extremely good quality, fully qualified and Dulux approved etc, they are on the same rates from about 7 years ago. Material costs have increased meaning his labour cost has reduced to balance out so arguably he is earning less!

He is having to start considering increasing his costs as his staff are now asking for more money! Some trades like bricklaying etc are demanding a fortune however that was always going to happen, the raw building trades did not take trainees on from 2008 until say 2014 with loads of people also leaving the industry meaning shortages of good raw building trades.

S

Oh well I suppose I can only comment on what I am seeing actually living here and no one has said it applies to everyone. It's interesting that when one of us living here comments on anything in Australia we get jumped on because we can't possibly know as we don't live there anymore. I'm not necessarily talking about this thread but what I notice is as soon as someone posts something positive about the UK some will jump on to try and disprove it and then look EXACTLY the same as they accuse us of looking.

Oh well I suppose I can only comment on what I am seeing actually living here and no one has said it applies to everyone. It's interesting that when one of us living here comments on anything in Australia we get jumped on because we can't possibly know as we don't live there anymore. I'm not necessarily talking about this thread but what I notice is as soon as someone posts something positive about the UK some will jump on to try and disprove it and then look EXACTLY the same as they accuse us of looking.

I didn't intend my comment to be negative or disprove what you said I was making a point that all areas are different

I am from the North East and there are scores of tradies anyone new coming into or returning after a stint away could possibly struggle setting up again as they wouldn't have the recommendations that the long term tradies have

I didn't intend my comment to be negative or disprove what you said I was making a point that all areas are different

I am from the North East and there are scores of tradies anyone new coming into or returning after a stint away could possibly struggle setting up again as they wouldn't have the recommendations that the long term tradies have

Yeah that's fair enough but as I said it wouldn't apply everywhere.

Good workmen should always command good pricing

But how about some examples by stating trade and location with rate be it per hour or per day.

Its also worth commenting on rate is only part of the package. Rather pay double the rate and have the work done right first time, and often in half the time.

Bricklaying

Electrician

Plumber

Builder

How do they charge for away sites? For example down cornwall/devon for a week returning weekends?

Accomodation/lodgings provided?

I wonder in what numbers are they returning? I've no doubt it will come but at the moment there appears plenty of work, at least in particular trades, such as flooring and renovation.

They still charge like a wounded bull and quality not always to expected standard. I have been in the market for kitchen renovations and still detect a take it or leave it attitude around pricing.

We are west of London - just. My work is next to Heathrow and people generally are in big demand.

We use a lot of things like excavator operators for digging. We pay £33k a year plus a company car. With the coming of the other big projects in the area - crossrail 2, heathrow runway and HS2, it is going to be crazy.

I wonder in what numbers are they returning? I've no doubt it will come but at the moment there appears plenty of work, at least in particular trades, such as flooring and renovation.

They still charge like a wounded bull and quality not always to expected standard. I have been in the market for kitchen renovations and still detect a take it or leave it attitude around pricing.

Someone I know has been looking for a kitchen fitter for about 3 months. Raw materials about £2.75k. Lowest quote to fit is £9k. I want a bathroom fitted - plumber charging £250 day rate for labour. Too much work in South East so good tradies can pick and choose.

I'm sure it's not the same everywhere - and in the SE you've got to contend with ridiculous housing prices - but sure beats a teacher's income!

People probably know this already but if you're a kitchen fitter, plasterer, electrician, builder moving back to the UK (at least to South East UK), be prepared for a big boost to your bank balance - The cost of hiring tradesmen in the UK in my area has soared through the roof and many people cannot find good workers at any price.....

Not great news for me (I need to renovate my house following rental damage) but great news for anyone wondering if there will be work

Most of my mates are "tradies" and they have all got work .....the main discussion is fitting the work to suit "the twilight golf " in the summer ....that means finishing at 3 ,and getting 18 holes in ...thats work/life balance .

They honestly don't know how lucky they are .....they just see that as expected.

I used to go to a breakfast business club about 5 years ago ,and bumped into one of the lads ,while out walking the dog ...hes left his wife ,and had a new woman on his arm ,he's doing very well

The other 3or4 I got close to,are doing extremely well ,I felt like the poor relation .

One lad who owns a building and landscaping business has just signed a £1 million contract to build new homes.

My bed pal ...in his 50s ...no kids ...house in bournville ,and a place in Spain ...hes looking at 3 months a year in Spain ...lucky sod

My hubby is very handy around the house so can do a lot of minor work himself. When he wanted to retrain from computing he chose teaching which he loves and is excellent at. I asked him if he could retrain as a plumber but he didn't fancy it - I do wish teachers were paid as well as tradies though!!

Someone I know has been looking for a kitchen fitter for about 3 months. Raw materials about £2.75k. Lowest quote to fit is £9k. I want a bathroom fitted - plumber charging £250 day rate for labour. Too much work in South East so good tradies can pick and choose.

I'm sure it's not the same everywhere - and in the SE you've got to contend with ridiculous housing prices - but sure beats a teacher's income!

Not too much more though than quotes I've had here in Perth. From around $16,000 for a kitchen outfit upwards. That's before any additional of course like oven, new hot plates etc.

I doubt if plumbing rates are much less here as well. I guess the difference being in Australia, it is expensive when employing a trade, regardless of location. In UK more regional dependant. I guess those East European tradesmen have inflated rates as well these days? One time they were good value.

My hubby is very handy around the house so can do a lot of minor work himself. When he wanted to retrain from computing he chose teaching which he loves and is excellent at. I asked him if he could retrain as a plumber but he didn't fancy it - I do wish teachers were paid as well as tradies though!!

I do almost everything in the house from plastering to woodwork and as a former kitchen fitter I installed a new kitchen for a fraction of having someone else do it. I also do minor electrical work, tiling, flooring etc.

Being an avid watcher of "Homes under the hammer" I was under the impression that tradies were a lot cheaper in the UK. The rennovators seem to come up with really low budgets (by Oz standards) of whole house rennovations for figures like 10kGBP.

Archived