Landing in oz

lissyqq

Hi All

Me and my hubby are moving over to Sunshine coast in May this year and will be bringing 2 very small dogs with us. I need to know where do you stay when you first arrive as most of the holiday lets I have looked at are pretty costly. Can anyone advise on which company to best use who allow dogs and is furnished. Also could anyone please advise on how long you usually have to stay in serviced apartments before you find rental?

My husband has thought about coming over before me to sort everything out but I am reluctant to travel on my own when bidding farewell to family as my emotions will be all over the place.

Many Thanks in advance

Lisa

If you are worried about having somewhere for your dogs from the off th perhaps your husband going ahead a few weeks is not a bad idea.

You don't have to do big emotional airport goodbyes if you travel a few weeks later. It can be as low key and calm as you want it to be. I said bye to my family 3 or 4 days before we actually left and was perfectly calm and fine with the whole flying the other side of the world. I think when you are leaving you tend to be focusing on what's ahead not what you just left behind. Emigrating is tough, so be prepared for some hard asks to crop up and helpfully you can get past them.

Also could anyone please advise on how long you usually have to stay in serviced apartments before you find rental?

Four to six weeks is normal. Part of the delay is that real estate agents will want to see 100 points of Australia ID before they'll let you see anything. The easiest way to get that together is from your driving licence, medicare card and bank statements - all of which you can sort out on your first day in Australia but they need to be posted to your temporary address.

Passport counts for the 100 points doesn't it? I think I used passport and DL and then had Medicare card and bank card if needed.

Have a look at 'air bnb' We stayed in one for 10 days when we arrived in Sydney. We managed to find a rental within a week. You can board your dogs with your shipping company for a couple of weeks before they fly out, this will give you time to find accommodation before they arrive. Where on the sunny coast are you headed?

Any short term / furnished accommodation isn't cheap as your utilities etc are included. Most people book one for their first 3 to 4 weeks, this gives you time to look at areas then search for a rental to suit you and apply for it . Lots of longer term rentals don't allow pets either, but always ask, even if it says no on the ad.

You can google pet friendly furnished accomodation or short term pet friendly holiday lets etc and you should get quite a list come up... You can also try this link - https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/VacationRentals-g1132645-Reviews-zfn1-Sunshine_Coast_Queensland-Pet_Friendly_Vacation_Rentals.html

Cal x

Four to six weeks is normal. Part of the delay is that real estate agents will want to see 100 points of Australia ID before they'll let you see anything. The easiest way to get that together is from your driving licence, medicare card and bank statements - all of which you can sort out on your first day in Australia but they need to be posted to your temporary address.

We are coming over once hubby has secured his sponsored job offer, looking around end of September/ October. We are bringing our two house cats with us and we're hoping to secure a rental for when we arrive by paying 6 months rent in advance. My son lives in Melbourne and is happy to go and do the viewings on our behalf. We already have an Aussie bank account, will that help?

Your dogs will have 10 days in quarantine anyway, which could give you enough time to secure a rental

Thanks Verystormy but maybe I am hoping for too much trying to secure accommodation before we arrive. I am a bit obsessive about getting everything in place before we leave, just for peace of mind. Still wonder if coming over on a 457 visa still means we need the 100 points which I must admit I know nothing about.

Doesn't matter what visa you are on, the 100 points will always be required as proof of identity. If it isn't passport and visa, there is a list of other documents you will have to provide. Just google and you will find the list for whichever state you will be in.

Passport counts for the 100 points doesn't it? I think I used passport and DL and then had Medicare card and bank card if needed.

Hi Snifter, was that your UK drivers licence? and how quick can you get Medicare card. Do we need it as we are UK passport holders and on reciprocal health care?? We have bank cards as opened our CBA account in December .If we are on a 457 visa do

we need Aussie driving licence straight away? Sorry for all the questions

and how quick can you get Medicare card. Do we need it as we are UK passport holders and on reciprocal health care?? We have bank cards as opened our CBA account in December .If we are on a 457 visa do

Yes you need a medicare card. It is used for general everyday type of healthcare requirements you may need in future. You can get them quite quickly. Visit the local medicare office and get it organised. It will have "reciprocal" mentioned on the card.

Temporary visa holders (such as 457's) do not need to get an Aussie driving license.

I have copied and pasted the info below from another thread that i posted it on, it should help with what paperwork to supply. On a 457 visa it is not required you get an Aus driving licence, however it is asked for soooo much for varying ID purposes i recommend you get one so you dont have carry your passport etc around with you all the time.

Its good to have all paperwork ready to submit to the agent as soon as you see a rental you like. Its a points system but from experience we found, the more you can submitt the better.

Things to include would be

- Copy of job offer, OR a copy of a recent healthy bank account

- Copy of driving licence , Aussie one is best

- Copy of Medicare card

- Paid up utility or mortgage statements, doesnt matter if they're not Aussie.

- Any references you may have from renting in the UK

Also include a covering letter (especially if your new to the country) explaining you have just migrated hence lack of Australian paperwork. Some people do offer 3 or 6 months up front, especially if the property they like has a lot of interest but i found it rare this amount was ever taken by the agent.

Hope this helps a bit

Cal x

Yes that's true. Do you think we could find rental n get in before the 10 days?

Yes, but it might not be a very nice rental, because it would be one that everybody else had rejected and was vacant as a result.

People who stay in our short-term accommodation normally allow 4 weeks to find a place.

BB

Hi Snifter, was that your UK drivers licence? and how quick can you get Medicare card. Do we need it as we are UK passport holders and on reciprocal health care?? We have bank cards as opened our CBA account in December .If we are on a 457 visa do

Aus DL.

Medicare card was sorted the second day after we arrived. We went on a Saturday morning to the Centrelink as it is open for Medicare stuff and much quieter. Hardly had to wait 5 minutes to be seen. Once I had that I went next door a couple of days later and got my Aus DL (again, done on the spot and the card mailed out in the post).

A 457 is a temp visa and the requirements are different. I would get an Aus DL for ease anyways if it were me. That 100 points of ID, having an Aus DL is a good thing. You will have enough with a passport, birth cert and bank card but an Aus ID would be good.

• 2 weeks later...

Caloundra is one of my favourite places too. It's a pretty happening place with lots of chilled out cafes, bars, restaurants etc - and a stunning beach. But nowhere near as over the top as Surfers ...

Another fav of mine up that way is Noosa. I lived up on the Sunshine Coast for a few months late last year/earlier this year before coming down to Sydney, and the Noosa Surf Club was a regular spot for me - the view of the beach from up on the 1st level is incredible! Noosa def is a little bit more expensive, but there are affordable options if you keep your eyes open! I'd definitely recommend that you rent for a while after you land in Oz, dont rush into it, just so that you can sample a few different places and get a feel for each. You can try all the usual suspects: Stayz.com.au , AirBnB ...

If you are heading Caloundra way, consider area around Currumudi Lake. It is beautiful!

Archived