Things To Do In Sydney In Winter?

im guessing I'm not the only person who thinks once you've been to see them and one or 2 other things there's not a great deal else to do tourism wise? although there's a few places in the ferry I still have to visit. I think double bay (think that's the name) might be my new South Perth

there is a lot for tourists to do in sydney. you need to get out & about more.

Guest The Pom Queen

Palm Beach where Home and Away is filmed. A day trip to the Blue Mountains and Scenic World, cable car and tram. My son enjoyed the maritime museum and the powerhouse.

Fireworks near the imax on a Saturday night.

The Sydney Tower in the CBD which also has a glass platform you can walk around. I think there is a 3D cinema up there as well.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to offer advice and links on places to go and things to see. It's always better to hear about them directly from those experienced them rather than just to read about them in a guide book. I'm really looking forward to our trip. :smile:

Yeah definitely go to blue mountains, it's lovely

In summer I'd say yes. But in the winter it is likely to be cold, wet and foggy. It's a long and dull journey to get there (and you'll need a car to get around when you're there) and unless the weather is going to be perfect I'd suggest leaving it for another time.

In summer I'd say yes. But in the winter it is likely to be cold, wet and foggy. It's a long and dull journey to get there (and you'll need a car to get around when you're there) and unless the weather is going to be perfect I'd suggest leaving it for another time.

I'm not convinced on many of these points. In winter it is likely to be cold, yes. The towns are about 1000m above sea level and it snows in winter, 2 or 3 times a year. Usually later than May though

Wet, foggy? Not necessarily. Autumn is the most unsettled season in these parts, winter can be quite consistent (and clear)

Also it's not that long a journey to get there. It's a 2 hour train ride to Katoomba from the city and the ride is quite scenic after Penrith, if you like that type of thing. There are walks right from the station areas at Blackheath, Wentworth Falls, Glenbrook for 3 places, and the big tourist sites at Katoomba (Scenic World, 3 sisters etc) are easily reached by a load of buses running the 2k from the railway to Echo Point. Train also stops right in the middle of Leura which is the prettiest town.

However, it IS a full day trip and for a weekend in Sydney I think that's too much of a time investment. And you do have to wait for a clear day without low cloud - at any time of year.

I'd also give the Blue Mountains a miss unless the weather is clear. I agree its a lovely time of year for a romantic weekend or a bushwalk in the Blue Mountains, but no so much for sightseeing. No point going to the 3 sisters if it is foggy.

If you haven't been to Sydney before, obviously the bridge and the opera house are the top drawcards. Start at the rocks where poms-in-oz all began. Walk to the botanical gardens via circular key and the opera house. Catch a ferry somewhere, Taronga Zoo, Manly, Watson's Bay. Just follow your nose and you can't go wrong, there is so much to see and do.

Last weekend in May mate.

She's not a really an outdoors kid, although she'd probably do the beach for half a day if I can get one of my OH's friends' kids to come along as well. She's into gymnastics, trampolining, swimming (so a kind of 'Wet and Wild' equivalent would be great), interactive art / science stuff.

Powerhouse museum a must, then, lots of interactive exhibits. Winter in Sydney is the best time IMO, less rain, cool sunny days. Too cool for swimming though.

Ferry to .Manly also a must, as you get a nice cruise of the harbour for the price of a ferry.

Definitely agree that you need to pick your days (if possible) for sightseeing in Sydney during winter. It's not uncommon at all to get bright sunny days during winter! (with temps up to around 22-24 degrees).

Agree with @FTA who said to avoid the Blue Mountains on a cloudy/foggy day - can get quite wet and damp on a day like that. Oh ... what about Katoomba ? I've been up there on a cold/wet day and had a great time - quite a few old pubs / cafe's in the area that are at their best on a cold winter day with open fire, beers, food. Definitely worth keeping in mind.

You could try: http://www.hydromajestic.com.au/ or the art deco Paragon cafe http://www.bluemts.com.au/11104/the-paragon-cafe/ (lots of other interesting cafes and antique/collectable shops in the area too)!

Edited by Brit In Oz

There's lots to do really. We've been here 9 months and have far from done it all really... so much

It's not always all that cold. even in winter it's ok by mid morning (20c) and cools down again about 4pm. It can be sunny still. Rain can happen anytime of the year.

We like these things:

• Funday Sunday - use your opal card and go anywhere on any public transport for $2.50 - get the ferry around the harbour
  • Get the ferry to Cockatoo island
  • Eat some nice food
  • Luna Park is good for younger ones. The passes are quite cheap. We only paid $100 each for an annual one...
  • Go to the beaches just to hang out - if it's a nice day. Still peasant. Pick any, most are nice. Cronulla, Balmoral, Manly, Bondi, Curly etc - fish n chips
  • Go to the inner west for cool shops - e.g. somewhere like Newtown. Or Surry Hills, or Chippendale/Ultimo these are nearer central. Museums are around there and there are nicer buildings in that area.
  • Markets
  • The Rocks Market (Saturday and Sundays) - plus hang out at the rocks and have a beer
  • I didn't have time to read the whole post, so don't know if these tips are helpful or relevant!
  • Maritime museum at Darling Harbour is good
  • There are some independent cinemas that are nice if you get rain. (Dendy etc) http://www.dendy.com.au/Page/Dendy-Newtown-Location
  • Walk over the harbour bridge to Kirrbilli and have a bite to eat and walk back. Hire a bike. There's some nice bike lanes here and there (depending on where you are)
  • If it was summer you could much the same, but it'd be warm with longer days
  • The places that aren't that interesting (IMHO) are the city areas around Town Hall station and Wynyard Station. Just boring big buildings.... and maybe avoid Westfield malls. They are all the same... Might be worth factoring this in when you book a place. If I were to come again on a visit, I might want to stay somewhere like Balmain, then get the ferry when I want to look around.
  • Also - when we arrived here to live, we booked a house that was 20 mins walk from the train station. That walk got old really quickly... So I recommend getting somewhere on a bus/train/ferry route (if you hire a house / apartment)

Edited by Captain Roberto

• 2 weeks later...