Emirates

Keith and Linda

We were thinking of booking with Emirates from Sydney to Glasgow, then our return flight from Heathrow to Sydney, so that we can fit in the visiting we would like to do and also a short holiday in Scotland. I will have a look at Qatar too, since they fly to Edinburgh. We've always flown via Singapore with Singapore or Qantas in the past, but they don't fly to Glasgow/Edinburgh. If we decided to fly in/out of Heathrow we will probably book Singapore again as we've always had great flights with them (as great as a flight can be, anyway!).

That will be expensive as you are effectively booking one way flights. Remember most airlines will get you to your destination city via a partner airline all on the same ticket at the same or very little cost. It may well then be cheaper to get a taxi or a plane back to your original landing airport.

Last year my brother got to Leeds & Bradford with Qantas, this year it will be with Air Canada.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just booked our return flight Melbourne/Glasgow with Emirates in August-October, started doing it on-line with Emirates but had a query regarding Frequent Flyer points so I rang their office direct and completed the booking there and then. Very helpful he was too. A380 to Dubai then 777 to Glasgow.

Has anyone converted Emirates points to Qantas FF, the Emirates guy said to leave it and on completion to call Qantas FF and give them the details of the Emirates flights and the points will be transferred. Has anyone done that and does it work?. The reason we want Qantas FF points is because this will be the last time we go back to UK and want the Qantas FF points for flying domestic here.

Mike

I have just booked our return flight Melbourne/Glasgow with Emirates in August-October, started doing it on-line with Emirates but had a query regarding Frequent Flyer points so I rang their office direct and completed the booking there and then. Very helpful he was too. A380 to Dubai then 777 to Glasgow.

Has anyone converted Emirates points to Qantas FF, the Emirates guy said to leave it and on completion to call Qantas FF and give them the details of the Emirates flights and the points will be transferred. Has anyone done that and does it work?. The reason we want Qantas FF points is because this will be the last time we go back to UK and want the Qantas FF points for flying domestic here.

Mike

Cannot help with the FF not really found them to be of any use, well other airlines anyhow as they expire before we can do anything with them. However did you book your seats with the bloke at Emirates at the same time? and do you use 'seat guru' to check for the better seats, well at least to avoid the worst ones?

A lot can depend on the actual plane and crew you get. I have had good flights and bad with Singapore and Emirates TBH.

I do like to stretch my legs between flights though so a longish walk between terminals I'd good for me, and you can usually borrow strollers for kids.

Gone for Qatar for our UK trip later in the year but also doing a long haul to Florida with Virgin Australia/Delta in April. I am more concerned about that one as Delta planes are usually old!

A lot can depend on the actual plane and crew you get. I have had good flights and bad with Singapore and Emirates TBH.

I do like to stretch my legs between flights though so a longish walk between terminals I'd good for me, and you can usually borrow strollers for kids.

Gone for Qatar for our UK trip later in the year but also doing a long haul to Florida with Virgin Australia/Delta in April. I am more concerned about that one as Delta planes are usually old!

We were looking at that route to Miami and then on to UK, the coming back is a killer though with a 12hrplus wait in LA so a 5 or 6 hr flight then a 12 hr wait then a 14 hr flight, could not get around it unless taking another 1 or 2 stops/changes or a stopover. So in the end it was a return to UK with emirates and then UK to Miami return with Virgin, all costs much the same which ever routes/airlines we tried, so it came down to timings.

Enjoy your trips.

I've done the UK-Aus route about three times with Emirates and really liked them, always had good service. I was in upstairs economy on one of the flights but didn't really notice too much of a difference other than it being a bit quieter.

Emirates only have two planes with that configuration so is a question of luck if you get one, none on my flights I'm afraid.

Went for shortest route at best price. 25/27 hours total 2 stops Adelaide to Tampa. No long layovers at all but still takes longer than UK flight as less direct routing. Via Brisbane and LAX. Considered adding the UK holiday but really not much cheaper as basically a round the world trip plus too much time off work at once.

Still we are staying with my sister so cheap accommodation! We just help with shopping, cleaning and buy a few meals out. etc.

Went for shortest route at best price. 25/27 hours total 2 stops Adelaide to Tampa. No long layovers at all but still takes longer than UK flight as less direct routing. Via Brisbane and LAX. Considered adding the UK holiday but really not much cheaper as basically a round the world trip plus too much time off work at once.

Still we are staying with my sister so cheap accommodation! We just help with shopping, cleaning and buy a few meals out. etc.

We looked at Tampa, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, all getting too complicated as still need to get to Miami without much difference to costs and timings, but you have got a good one for 27 hrs on the return leg. Was very surprised on the cost of Florida/UK return not much different to Aus/Florida. we could have got an around the world for about $2500, but timings meant extra hotel stays so put the cost up anyway.

Sisters new house is in Bradenton so Tampa the best option for us as they can easily pick us up from the airport, saving us the hire queue and an unfamiliar drive when tired. We can hire a car later.

yes took a bit of doing getting the flights to line up with no long layovers the return leg is via Sydney.

Edited by rammygirl

Wjust a shame that there was no economy section upstairs on the A380.

I think this might be about to change when they bring in a new 2 class configuration. There might be some economy seats upstairs where first class used to be. Don't expect to have access to the bar though!

That will be expensive as you are effectively booking one way flights. Remember most airlines will get you to your destination city via a partner airline all on the same ticket at the same or very little cost. It may well then be cheaper to get a taxi or a plane back to your original landing airport.

Last year my brother got to Leeds & Bradford with Qantas, this year it will be with Air Canada.

I had a look on the Emirates website, and by using the advanced flight search to add multiple locations I could get that flight for $700 more (for the four of us not each) than flying to Heathrow and back, so I didn't think that was too bad considering it was still cheaper than Singapore to/from London for the approximate dates we would like.

We are a bit limited on time because OH can't get more than 28 days off including travel days (so 24 really) and in that time we would like a family holiday, to see my family in Birmingham, OH's family in Kent and also hop over to Toulouse to see our good friends there. We thought that travelling to Scotland and making our way down made more sense with the kids, rather than having to do that horrendous drive twice.

I'll have another look at the prices though, because I have probably missed the catch or something!

I had a look on the Emirates website, and by using the advanced flight search to add multiple locations I could get that flight for $700 more (for the four of us not each) than flying to Heathrow and back, so I didn't think that was too bad considering it was still cheaper than Singapore to/from London for the approximate dates we would like.

We are a bit limited on time because OH can't get more than 28 days off including travel days (so 24 really) and in that time we would like a family holiday, to see my family in Birmingham, OH's family in Kent and also hop over to Toulouse to see our good friends there. We thought that travelling to Scotland and making our way down made more sense with the kids, rather than having to do that horrendous drive twice.

I'll have another look at the prices though, because I have probably missed the catch or something!

I did that with another couple of airlines last week, did the multi stop scenario, came out at over $6000 compared to two basic returns of less than $3000:confused:

Cannot help with the FF not really found them to be of any use, well other airlines anyhow as they expire before we can do anything with them. However did you book your seats with the bloke at Emirates at the same time? and do you use 'seat guru' to check for the better seats, well at least to avoid the worst ones?

Hi K and L

Yes, we did book with the guy from Emirates. As it will be our last trip back to the "Auld country" we are treating ourselves to Business class so no bother with picking the right seats (I hope).

There was no surcharge paying with the Credit card either, he said what we quote is what you'll pay.

Mike

I did that with another couple of airlines last week, did the multi stop scenario, came out at over $6000 compared to two basic returns of less than $3000:confused:

Blimey! That's a bit of a difference!

I've been working on scenario 2 today, flying into Heathrow and spending time in Kent with OH's family, driving to Birmingham to see my family, flying to Glasgow for our Scotland holiday, and then flying back from Edinburgh to Gatwick to go back to Kent for a week or so and then home from Heathrow. I would prefer to do it this way I think, and have the holiday in the middle after the jet-lag is gone.

I have noticed that for the dates we are looking at, many of the cheaper fares are sold out so I had better get my skates on and pin OH down about what he wants to do!

We just booked our flights, but did this via the following company in UK, saved a shed load!

Lee Villiers | First & Business Class Travel Consultant

download?mid=2%5f0%5f0%5f1%5f16383%5fALNhUtQAAZvwVugsVgZNSNYCOJs&m=YaDownload&pid=3&fid=Inbox&inline=1&appid=yahoomail download?mid=2%5f0%5f0%5f1%5f16383%5fALNhUtQAAZvwVugsVgZNSNYCOJs&m=YaDownload&pid=4&fid=Inbox&inline=1&appid=yahoomail

A: Suite 1, Gamma House | Laser Quay Business Park| Rochester| Kent | ME2 4HU

T: 01634 730641 | F: 01634 714174 | E: lee@businessclassinternational.co.uk

W: www.businessclassinternational.co.uk S: download?mid=2%5f0%5f0%5f1%5f16383%5fALNhUtQAAZvwVugsVgZNSNYCOJs&m=YaDownload&pid=5&fid=Inbox&inline=1&appid=yahoomail download?mid=2%5f0%5f0%5f1%5f16383%5fALNhUtQAAZvwVugsVgZNSNYCOJs&m=YaDownload&pid=6&fid=Inbox&inline=1&appid=yahoomail download?mid=2%5f0%5f0%5f1%5f16383%5fALNhUtQAAZvwVugsVgZNSNYCOJs&m=YaDownload&pid=7&fid=Inbox&inline=1&appid=yahoomail download?mid=2%5f0%5f0%5f1%5f16383%5fALNhUtQAAZvwVugsVgZNSNYCOJs&m=YaDownload&pid=8&fid=Inbox&inline=1&appid=yahoomail

For all our latest review please find details on our Trustpilot Page www.uk.trustpilot.com/review/businessclassinternational.co.uk

Flown lots of times, cabin service sometimes good, sometimes bad, sometimes indifferent, all that matters is that the price and timing suits you and you land safe.

Prefer the 380 to the 777, seems quieter, and more room with a window seat.

Have a safe journey.

So agree with your comments @Ramont. Over the past 25 years I have travelled back and forth to UK on just about every airline, and have to say that Emirates is the best as far as I am concerned..... especially as I have been on the A380 twice now.... love that plane... makes the hell of a journey better.

So agree with your comments @Ramont. Over the past 25 years I have travelled back and forth to UK on just about every airline, and have to say that Emirates is the best as far as I am concerned..... especially as I have been on the A380 twice now.... love that plane... makes the hell of a journey better.

We have done 4 A380 legs with Singapore and 4 with Malaysia except for one with Singapore (they changed planes on us) all have been upstairs and if you can get the window seats then with the window storage hopper gives you have a heap more elbow and shoulder room also floor room as your stuff can go in the hopper and not on the floor. Not had a bad flight with either of them the worst have always being Qantas and BA we avoid them but as it has been awhile now they may have improved!

Regarding business class we cannot see any value for money for paying up to 4 times the cost of an economy for such a short period of time. I have tried those places that can save you big %'s but it still comes out at about 3 times the price. Not knocking those that want to pay it but I would rather my hard earned money go on another 2 or 3 holidays than have a comfier seat and metal cutlery for a few hours.

Happy flying everyone

Blimey! That's a bit of a difference!

I've been working on scenario 2 today, flying into Heathrow and spending time in Kent with OH's family, driving to Birmingham to see my family, flying to Glasgow for our Scotland holiday, and then flying back from Edinburgh to Gatwick to go back to Kent for a week or so and then home from Heathrow. I would prefer to do it this way I think, and have the holiday in the middle after the jet-lag is gone.

I have noticed that for the dates we are looking at, many of the cheaper fares are sold out so I had better get my skates on and pin OH down about what he wants to do!

Yes our Emirates went up $110 whilst I was researching during the day (cookies cleared and all) and the Emirates lady on the phone said, when questioned on this, yes you have just missed out, but they could come back though doubtful. The cut-off for Xmas appears to be a little earlier this year too with the 16th Nov being the norm when I looked but could change.

Regarding car, hire I again have yet to better Europcar, got a quote that worked out at less than 17 UK pounds a day (34 day hire over Xmas period) for and Astra 1.6 four door manual.

Regarding car, hire I again have yet to better Europcar, got a quote that worked out at less than 17 UK pounds a day (34 day hire over Xmas period) for and Astra 1.6 four door manual.

I now usually try to avoid the big names in car hire, and instead just do a google for local independent car hire companies near the airport. I wouldn't say that i've made huge savings, but it has been worthwhile, and my loyalty has also been recognised, usually get a better car than the one originally booked, and at no extra cost. The car is usually delivered to the local Airport Hotel car park, and the car-hire agent helps with the luggage for the 5 minute walk from the terminal to the car. No Q-ing at the row of Car Hire desks in the arrival hall anymore.

I now usually try to avoid the big names in car hire, and instead just do a google for local independent car hire companies near the airport. I wouldn't say that i've made huge savings, but it has been worthwhile, and my loyalty has also been recognised, usually get a better car than the one originally booked, and at no extra cost. The car is usually delivered to the local Airport Hotel car park, and the car-hire agent helps with the luggage for the 5 minute walk from the terminal to the car. No Q-ing at the row of Car Hire desks in the arrival hall anymore.

Believe me I always try to find the best deal and have no loyalty to any, and have tried the local independent's but still found them to be much as muchness to the bigger boys. the last three times Europcar have come out best, and at my current quote I may pay the 19.99 for meet greet drive away.

Could you let us know the independent you use? as they well have slipped by me in the search's.

I fly into Glasgow, and have used DCH a number of times. http://www.dchscotland.co.uk/

I would imagine that there are similar independent's based around most major airports.

Mine would be London Heathrow so will always carry a premium, but I just did a quote on yours for may dates and yes very competitive at just over 18 quid a day and a good no risk insurance cover at half price at the moment too, I don't usually take this out however it is tempting as quite cheap for peace of mind (especially with Scottish roads and drivers in mind:tongue:)

We have flown Singapore and emirates back and forth the last few years. Emirates big draw was leaving from Glasgow. The only flight we had with Singapore was with young kids and the crew were so so helpful. They helped with the kids bags and all so nice. Decided to book them for emigrating this year but flight delayed leaving Edinburgh missed our connection and put up overnight and flew with Cathay next night. ( wanted the long flight leaving UK at night...) never got a 380 as Cathay do not have them, this was another reason we had taken the Singapore flight... Emirates crew is a hit and miss but entertainment system is phenomenal. A380 is fab so if you can get that on your sector I like it as I find it hard to sleep on planes. Good luck x