How to encourage professionals to relocate to regional areas

Sustain

Depends on the regional area, but as a general rule very few people want to live and work in a regional area. The problem is the regional towns have much less in them in the way of facilities and entertainment and it can be a long way to the nearest city for some decent shopping. For families schooling can be an issue as many small regional towns don't have a high school even if there is a primary school. And for the people that do move for the job there is little in the way of other prospects for there OH's or for them if they don't like the job or if things don't work out and the company closes the office.

Exactly. Why would anyone one to a regional area, to staff a recruitment office, when every chance demand does not ,meet expectations and office is forced to close. There are many variables within this scenario to make people ponder. It is not even the case that property is necessary a lot cheaper than city prices. Certainly not guaranteed anyway. As noted in post above educational opportunities are likely limited, resulting in kids perhaps returning to city for further education and/or employment at a later stage anyway.

Good reasons above, thank you for those.

Schooling

Shopping

Facilities

Entertainment

Other prospects

To expand a little on the specifics in this case

These are 7 figure positions, so taking a 6 month break to look for next position (which could be international or domestic) is the norm.

These places are tourist hotspots (picture home and away with a port equivalent to Sydney)

Major city is 2 hours drive, 20 mins flight (small plane) no need for commercial flights as all locals have them.

Private school chain is also based in areas (10 mins drive) Kindergarten to Year 13 (Year 12)

In most ways there is more infrastructure and facilities as the area is built for the tourist season which is equivalent of the entire major city coming down for the summer and most weekends. So definitely not in the wot wots.

Reason for location is to be closer to the key suppliers/stakeholders. The others (customers) would involve international flights anyway.

Id imagine it would be harder to staff as most professionals (capable of earning 7 figures) would 'presume' its hard if not impossible to get something in those lines if not in a city.

I am sure many of these people when offered the above would take it at the drop of a hat , even if it meant relocating their family.

Cal x

Guest The Pom Queen
Good reasons above, thank you for those.

Schooling

Shopping

Facilities

Entertainment

Other prospects

To expand a little on the specifics in this case

These are 7 figure positions, so taking a 6 month break to look for next position (which could be international or domestic) is the norm.

These places are tourist hotspots (picture home and away with a port equivalent to Sydney)

Major city is 2 hours drive, 20 mins flight (small plane) no need for commercial flights as all locals have them.

Private school chain is also based in areas (10 mins drive) Kindergarten to Year 13 (Year 12)

In most ways there is more infrastructure and facilities as the area is built for the tourist season which is equivalent of the entire major city coming down for the summer and most weekends. So definitely not in the wot wots.

Reason for location is to be closer to the key suppliers/stakeholders. The others (customers) would involve international flights anyway.

What are the hospitals like? If they are excellent sign me up

What are the hospitals like? If they are excellent sign me up

Didn't think about that

But its a well known and well used hospital. My experience of it is through birth :wink:and many new years day's at A&E (mainly me being the only sober driver left to cart the injured)

Uncle is currently being looked after by them for terminal brain cancer and he rates the nurses very highly (they run too spritely for him though).

On other side of family have a aunt who is a nurse there, and she is well supported and happy there.

If its not up to scratch I will run for mayor and shake things up

The plus side , however, is that the country surrounding these regional towns is achingly gorgeous and usually ( not always) there is a good sense of community once you are 'in' and accepted. One of my lot lived in the bush ( Boolarra) and when they had the fires many locals came out and helped and donated stuff and the school community were fabulous. No doctor or hospital or anything like that though so you wouldn't want to live there if you were old and sick.

The plus side , however, is that the country surrounding these regional towns is achingly gorgeous and usually ( not always) there is a good sense of community once you are 'in' and accepted. One of my lot lived in the bush ( Boolarra) and when they had the fires many locals came out and helped and donated stuff and the school community were fabulous. No doctor or hospital or anything like that though so you wouldn't want to live there if you were old and sick.

The reason for the move is our main suppliers are out there and if we are to have strong relationships surely we should be there??

Rather than our competitors who are hiding in CBD towers

We've had these issues for ages: finding people who are willing to stay long term in regional areas is hugely difficult; we are only about an hour and a half flight from Brisbane and of the 10 or so British couples who have arrived (that I have a personal relationship with, couldn't tell you official stats), only 2 remain. No reason for it other than they want to be in a larger city.

We offer better wages, cheaper housing, less commute time and all the things you need, but still they won't stay. The ones who do have all said the same thing: it's the partners who tend to insist on moving, maybe they feel railroaded into an area because that's where one of them has got the job offer. Some have gone so far as moving the partner to Brisbane or Sydney while they maintain a unit as an "official" residence to maintain their regional status for the visa, while commuting to see the family on weekends.

We've had these issues for ages: finding people who are willing to stay long term in regional areas is hugely difficult; we are only about an hour and a half flight from Brisbane and of the 10 or so British couples who have arrived (that I have a personal relationship with, couldn't tell you official stats), only 2 remain. No reason for it other than they want to be in a larger city.

We offer better wages, cheaper housing, less commute time and all the things you need, but still they won't stay. The ones who do have all said the same thing: it's the partners who tend to insist on moving, maybe they feel railroaded into an area because that's where one of them has got the job offer. Some have gone so far as moving the partner to Brisbane or Sydney while they maintain a unit as an "official" residence to maintain their regional status for the visa, while commuting to see the family on weekends.

We had negative feedback when we announced movement out of London to West Sussex.

I would love to go rural/remote. My first experience of Australia was living in a tiny desert town, population of 12, for six months. I loved it. I think its important to realise it isn't for everyone, I was encouraged to let someone know if I "needed out." But the area had lots to explore, if I didn't have access to a car then things might have been different.

I then visited a rural NSW town hospital last year to do a nursing placement. Again, an awesome experience, and I would move there.in a hearrtbeat. But the town is slowing down now, especially as mining slows/stops. Otherwise, I'm totally converted. Would happily live bush over Sydney/Melb anyday.

The biggest issue you will find is desirable employees want to remain in areas where there is a choice of employers, this ensures packages remain competitive and gives the ability to move between companies if required.

I would use Queensland Nickel as an example, I'm sure very well paid and highly skilled, now gone, what other choices do the employees have other than move town.....and Townsville is not that small as a regional city.

S

The biggest issue you will find is desirable employees want to remain in areas where there is a choice of employers, this ensures packages remain competitive and gives the ability to move between companies if required.

I would use Queensland Nickel as an example, I'm sure very well paid and highly skilled, now gone, what other choices do the employees have other than move town.....and Townsville is not that small as a regional city.

S

From my experience the candidates who prefer to stay in the city or a city rather than change country or move to another city are to risk averse.

Thus making them undesirable

Not in same class as gambling mind you, but definitely in the class of backing themselves.

You will lose people who want to stay in the city at any cost. But there are plenty who are looking to move out of the city also. It will be easier to attract couples and families who are looking to escape the rat race.

My wife and I moved from Sydney to Toowoomba. She traveled throughout western Queensland for Queensland Health. I also commuted out west from Toowoomba. We could have chosen somewhere smaller to live, but Toowoomba would be about as small as I'd go after living in Sydney. There needs to be a balance between convenience and tranquility, and the average person can't afford to have both. It is also important that money is the same, which you have already noted, and you are obviously a good boss that they should be happy to follow.

Housing, Schooling & Hospitals are the big 3

Shopping and Entertainment are also important to keep people happy.

Edited by FTA