Record numbers depart Australia

amibovered

Australian Bureau of Statistics figures show better economic conditions in countries such as New Zealand and Britain and a slowdown in areas such as WA are adding to the exodus.

Through December and January, the two months when people usually make a move into or out of the country, almost 100,000 people left Australia for good.

Including long-term residents and citizens, it was the biggest December-January departure on record. In January alone a record 13,610 Australians, or almost 440 people a day, permanently waved goodbye.

And the number of people looking to move to Australia is falling. Total net permanent and long-term arrivals fell to 267,730 in the past 12 months.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/31037438/tourism-is-up-as-locals-say-farewell/

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never ever been given a departure card only an arrival card at both ends which didn't ask for a reason for travel?

You hand one in before you enter the departure lounge after going through security...

I've always had one, can't remember exact wording but it gives a few options [ATTACH=CONFIG]33042[/ATTACH]

Yes they are compulsory. The wording is regards duration of time out of country and country where most time will be spent if on a short term departure. Permanent departures fill in another column. They are collected at immigration and pretty well impossible to pass out without completion.

Anyway I don't expect a decline in numbers. Increasing numbers of Aussie born also moving out. A woman got chatting to down in Albany WA, informed me her local born daughter had left four months ago with her NZ born husband to NZ , where they have opened a tourist business.

Another bloke renting a house that was on the market, originally from NSW , lost his job in something mine related and was going to work in Mongolia, but live in Thailand type scenario.

I am not surprised to be honest, meet many young Australians who come to stratford and local area and love it. they say its like a different world and far more exiting and oz was so stuck in the past and boring compared.

Many Japanese and Americans too. So many tour buses........

I am not surprised to be honest, meet many young Australians who come to stratford and local area and love it. they say its like a different world and far more exiting and oz was so stuck in the past and boring compared.

It's amasing how many people I meet who are from Stratford living in Australia and they said they moved because of a barman oh and the weather it never stopped raining

Apart from this one house and noone could understand why the sun always shined on it

You would think reading this then that Immigration would process outstanding visas a little faster for people wanting to move to the country

They have sped up delivery of visas. But yes in time Australia will need to be more tourist accommodating. There's a big world out there competing for the tourist dollar. Australia is these days hardly a cheap choice of destination.

Not on priority 1 group visa's. 187 has gone from 5-6 month processing to in a lot of the cases being reported currently, 9 months. The only visa's we seeing movement on are the skills with no job offers. Rather confusing if you take an application on 186/187 has a firm job offer.

parleycross - as for being picky as to who is taken in.... I would have it no other way. But since you on a migration page, I assume you either trying to leave or are a migrant yourself so should have some understanding as to the emotional toll of this process

They have sped up delivery of visas. But yes in time Australia will need to be more tourist accommodating. There's a big world out there competing for the tourist dollar. Australia is these days hardly a cheap choice of destination.

Archived