Council Tax

janlo

In Australia most councils do a calculation based on their assessment of the value of your home.

They do a valuation or change their valuation every 2 years.

So it really depends on the council and the median house values in the suburb you live in.

Mine has gone up to $2000 per year.

The annoying thing is is seems to be like health insurance and go up about 6% a year, much more than the inflation rate.

Guest The Pom Queen
$1700 per half year. We *love* rates time. We can go and look at the potholes that we are paying for.

Lol yes it's rip off FNQ again, we pay $1650 for 6 months, we have a very tiny 4 bed (2 bed converted) and an 800 block.

It's silly we looked at a property in Brisbane on 32 acres and the rates were $800 for the year.

Guest The Pom Queen
In Australia most councils do a calculation based on their assessment of the value of your home.

They do a valuation or change their valuation every 2 years.

So it really depends on the council and the median house values in the suburb you live in.

Mine has gone up to $2000 per year.

The annoying thing is is seems to be like health insurance and go up about 6% a year, much more than the inflation rate.

its suppose to be done on land value not the house. The house next door but one sold for $285 but they still pay $3200 for their rates.

$279 in Brisbane city council last quarter. BCC is substantially cheaper than neighbouring Moreton Bay Council. I guess population density helps also the efficiency of being one big council.

Edited by Guest

I am horrified at the rates here in Coffs Harbour - my rates for a 3-bed house are nearly $700 per quarter. Due to a council which doesn't understand - or chooses not to understand - that Coffs has one of the lowest socio-economic ratings in the entire country, and the majority of ratepayers living here simply cannot afford to pay for the council's grandiose schemes for the city via the exorbitant rates we are being punished with.

That said, the council tax for my little 2-bed end of terrace in Redditch was approx GBP1300 yearly, with a 25% discount for single occupancy (2013). So perhaps not much difference overall.

its suppose to be done on land value not the house. The house next door but one sold for $285 but they still pay $3200 for their rates.

I don't believe that is true. (certainly not in Melbourne).

If you see something which say Capital Improved Value on your rates notice that is basically their assessment of land plus house plus improvements valuation.

Queensland may be different though. I can only say how my rates are calculated in Melbourne.

Edited by parleycross

I don't believe that is true. (certainly not in Melbourne).

If you see something which say Capital Improved Value on your rates notice that is basically their assessment of land plus house plus improvements valuation.

Queensland may be different though. I can only say how my rates are calculated in Melbourne.

For Townsville

"Council uses the unimproved capital or site valuation as advised by Department of Natural Resources and Mines to determine the rateable value"

Lol yes it's rip off FNQ again, we pay $1650 for 6 months, we have a very tiny 4 bed (2 bed converted) and an 800 block.

It's silly we looked at a property in Brisbane on 32 acres and the rates were $800 for the year.

I have a friend who has no reticulated water, no town sewerage and who's road is a self-maintained gravel track, and yet she gets stung the same as me. Nice to see they don't discriminate between who gets services and who doesn't.

Guest The Pom Queen
You're very lucky then.

Your rates will be very cheap.

Of course it depends on what other elements go in the calculation so probably a red herring.

I wouldn't call $3200 a year cheap would you.

Guest The Pom Queen
I have a friend who has no reticulated water, no town sewerage and who's road is a self-maintained gravel track, and yet she gets stung the same as me. Nice to see they don't discriminate between who gets services and who doesn't.

I love FNQ don't get me wrong but they do stitch us up with everything, electric, house insurance and rates.

Its calculated on the size of the property then indexed for the capital improvement value of the dwelling.

As in our spreadsheet, for us thats $1000 per year plus $130 per year for the green waste bin.

Edited by dmjg

Its calculated on the size of the property then indexed for the capital improvement value of the dwelling.

As in our spreadsheet, for us thats $1000 per year plus $130 per year for the green waste bin.

Not for where The Pom Queen and I are (Townsville), "Council uses the unimproved capital or site valuation as advised by Department of Natural Resources and Mines to determine the rateable value"