Considering a move... Any advice?

Slatesbr

Hey All,

My Name is Bradley. I am 22 and just qualified as a History Teacher.

My Partner is also 22 and has just qualified as a nurse.

She is a quarter Australian with uncles, aunties and cousins living in places such as Melbourne, Perth and Mandurah.

Since getting together 6 years ago (Young I know), She has had a desire to join the rest of her family in Australia, particularly those in Western Australia.

I have long thought a move to Australia would be great for us and we are both eager and excited to see what Australia holds for us. We are going to visit family in Perth and Mandurah for one month in the summer holidays.

I have joined this forum to seek advice. I'm sure over the coming months and years i will have a lot of questions.

But for now, seen as this is the beginning of our journey i will keep it simple.

So my questions are,

Is there a place in Western Australia for two 22 year olds with the careers we have? Obviously we are lacking in experience, will this be an issue. Both graduated with 2.1 Degrees and have jobs.

Is it financially viable? (We do not have any dependents that rely on us)

Is there much support for young people moving out to Australia?

And finally, for now, what was your experience of applying and moving to the other side of the world? Leaving Family, Visas, Finding work etc...

We are young but we are serious about moving and are really motivated. Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Brad.

I have for the past 5 years dreamed of a move away from this country and

Hi Bradley

That's great you're asking loads of questions.

I can't answer all your questions, but definitely look into wages and cost of living more as it is very expensive here. Don't worry about the visa process, it can be daunting but pretty straight forward.

Leaving family is probably the hardest part, I didn't think about it too much at the time but 7 years later and with two children, it is very hard being away from family and their support. In the past 5 years we have only managed to get back over for 2 weeks which is pretty dismal I must say! Skype is ok but not like having that big hug and a good cuppa and a chat on the sofa with Mum and Dad. At 22 though you're a while of that situation anyway.

Oh and a sweaty hot Christmas, listening to carols about snow is a hard one to get past too!! Hehehe!

My advice would be wait until you've had your holiday and ask all these questions when you're out here visiting as you'll get a much better feel for how it would be for you both.

Good luck!!

Another vote from me for a WHV - while you were on that (or if you have time on your one month trip) also check out some of the more 'country' (i.e. miles from anywhere!) areas. I know a lot of states (SA, where I live for example) have professions such as nurses and teachers on their 'shortage' lists, but to be honest, these days the shortages tend to be way out of the city areas, so those people that come here thinking they will be in demand because their job is on the list, often struggle because they only want to live in the main towns/cities.

As an example, I was speaking to someone the other day who was saying there were nursing jobs paying upwards of A$200k a year in some (very) remote locations, because they just can't get people to go there. In that case, the nurse in question would be required to act pretty much as the doctor there, as the actual doctor only visits occasionally. So they were struggling as any experienced nurse with a family would probably not want to move out there, and inexperienced nurses without family to think about would not have the skills to handle things on their own when the doctor wasn't there - so Catch 22.

Anyway, my point is, if you and your OH were prepared to work very rurally, you may well find opportunities.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Brad, welcome to the forum. I also agree a working holiday visa would be a great option to test the water and see if you like living here before you make the huge commitment. your partner should be able to secure a job whilst over here, if she starts off as a temp and works well they will probably sponsor her. I know when I've been in the Sydney and Cairns hospitals a lot of the nurses have got in that way. Without sponsorship she will only be able to work for the same employer for 6 months.

Make sure she applies for registration as soon as possible as that tends to hold a lot of nurses up.

Newly qualified may see you both struggle to secure work.

Teachers, least here in SA are struggling to secure contracts or permanent work in the built up areas. Adelaide as Diane said attracts lots but often the demand is actually elsewhere in the state and Adelaide is already saturated with teachers. Working rural country posts may not appeal but often that is where the work is.

Given your ages and lack of experience in your professions atm I'd go the WHV route for a year or two, travel round Aus, holiday, work where you need, see as much of it as possible as once you live here and are working 48, 49 weeks a year you don't get the chance to see so much of it. It is just the usual day to day living then and you can do that anywhere.

Have an adventure, see what you think of it all in a year or two (both do your regional work to give you the second year) and then see if its still the place you want to live in long term. If so, you may find a sponsor there via the nursing or can return to the UK and apply from there and make the move in your own time.

Definitely get a Working Holiday Visa (WHV). That gives you the right to live and work in Australia for a year - and if you do a few months of farm work, you'll be allowed to stay for a second full year.

You wouldn't be able to teach on that visa, because you can only work for six months with one employer - but it's an ideal opportunity to take a year out before you settle down to your teaching career.

Right now you simply don't have the option to get any other kind of visa, as you don't have enough work experience. Whereas you can apply for a WHV and it is usually approved within a day or two (yes, really!).

Hey All,

She is a quarter Australian with uncles, aunties and cousins living in places such as Melbourne, Perth and Mandurah.

Since getting together 6 years ago (Young I know), She has had a desire to join the rest of her family in Australia, particularly those in Western Australia.

I have long thought a move to Australia would be great for us and we are both eager and excited to see what Australia holds for us. We are going to visit family in Perth and Mandurah for one month in the summer holidays.

I have joined this forum to seek advice. I'm sure over the coming months and years i will have a lot of questions.

But for now, seen as this is the beginning of our journey i will keep it simple.

So my questions are,

Is there a place in Western Australia for two 22 year olds with the careers we have? Obviously we are lacking in experience, will this be an issue. Both graduated with 2.1 Degrees and have jobs.

And finally, for now, what was your experience of applying and moving to the other side of the world? Leaving Family, Visas, Finding work etc...

We are young but we are serious about moving and are really motivated. Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Brad.

You say she's a quarter Australian, is the grandparent still alive?

I agree with the idea of a WHV. Your G/F needs to register with AHPRA if she wants to work in Aus. There are a lot of graduate nurses here in WA and the competition for jobs will be tough, so if thinking of a skilled visa then I would certainly try to get a some experience in order to compete during the selection/interview process. I know that where I work, previously job adverts have stated that preference is given to Citizens and Permanent resident Visa holders.

I don't know much about the teaching requirements, but believe the degree has to have been a 4 year degree (don't know if yours is this.

Hope you have a great time visiting family

Agree with all the posts about the WH visa. You're both young, it's a great way to see the country - you'll have a ball.

That's how I started too many years ago to mention now but still have fond memories of that carefree time. Best thing I ever did in my 20's. Just do it!

Hey All,

So my questions are,

Many thanks,

Brad.

A quarter Australian ....for visa purposes, is she an Australian citizen? Could make a huge difference to your chances of moving here!

A quarter Australian ....for visa purposes, is she an Australian citizen? Could make a huge difference to your chances of moving here!

Thats why I asked if the grandparent was still alive? They could get hereditary visa (or is it citizenship I oz I can't remember?)

Thats why I asked if the grandparent was still alive? They could get hereditary visa (or is it citizenship I oz I can't remember?)

I know the UK has an ancestry visa but I don't believe Australia has a similar thing. Whether they are entitled to citizenship or not is unclear though.....

Hey all thanks for your help!

There are so many hidden things you don't think about! This makes any and all advice extremely invaluable! So thanks for your input already!

Unfortunately no she is not an Australian citizen. Her grandparents moved over to England where they settled, thus my O/H is English by birth, with Australian grandparents (Who unfortunately are not here anymore). The rest of her family is over there - Could a Uncle, Aunty, Cousin sponsor you? or not? How does this work?

Thank you for your suggestions regarding a WHV, this is an interesting route and one that i will have to have a look into.

With regards to working as a nurse/teacher in a rural setting this is not an issue. We would not be looking to live in Perth city as we are both against city living. Most likely be 40 mins or so out. Maybe further if we find the right place!

When is the best time to move? I know this sounds silly, but is it best to move during the winter? Around Christmas in the summer? Or does it really not matter?

Thanks again for your time.

Any further advice is welcomed!

Hey Brit!

Haha! A hot Christmas!

Have you ever felt like returning to the UK because you have missed your family? For me this will be a big obstacle to overcome (I am determined). My O/H Wants to move to spend more time with her family, and the fact that they are over there will definitely help with the family blues. But do you have any tips on hows best to overcome/deal with missing the people at home?!

Thanks for your post!

Get you and you partner a working holiday mate. Ideal that you have family you can crash at for a while until you settle and find work.. this will give you an initial year to explore with the potential of staying an extra year and working

How easy is it to get a full time visa after working in Aus? Thanks for the tip!

Hey Brit!

Haha! A hot Christmas!

Have you ever felt like returning to the UK because you have missed your family? For me this will be a big obstacle to overcome (I am determined). My O/H Wants to move to spend more time with her family, and the fact that they are over there will definitely help with the family blues. But do you have any tips on hows best to overcome/deal with missing the people at home?!

Thanks for your post!

I thought I'd miss my family when I lived in oz but to be honest I didn't miss them once. Phone and Skype was enough for me but I was only there for 2 1/2 years and no major things happened whilst I was gone

spouse and parent child are the only relationships which can sponsor for oz as far as I'm aware. I thought gp could too until just now

certainly uncle cousin etc are not possible

I thought I'd miss my family when I lived in oz but to be honest I didn't miss them once. Phone and Skype was enough for me but I was only there for 2 1/2 years and no major things happened whilst I was gone

spouse and parent child are the only relationships which can sponsor for oz as far as I'm aware. I thought gp could too until just now

certainly uncle cousin etc are not possible

Pingpoma

Thanks for the info! I was not sure how far in the family tree a sponsor could go! Did you do a WHV?

Brad.

Pingpoma

Thanks for the info! I was not sure how far in the family tree a sponsor could go! Did you do a WHV?

Brad.

I did a WHV in 2008/09

I also did 2 1/2 years on a 457 2011-2013

and a 6 month loop of the country for my honeymoon on a long holiday visa

and I'm going this friday for 3 weeks

im obsessed as you can tell!

WHV is a great option. Two years if you do qualifying work in a listed area. It doesn't have to be really remote lots of surprisingly good places on the list. All of SA, all of Tas, Esperance in WA. Doesn't have to be farm work either you can paint walls on a building site

thats gives you lots of time to find a sponsor

my 457 was with a company I worked for on my WHV

• 3 weeks later...

Hey bud, I'm no expert, but if your thinking of leaving the UK I would 're-consider' that option, depending if your going to Sydney or Melbourne where the job market is prevalent currently - Perth I would not have this in my options category at all, it is super difficult and I've been here 9 years to date and am in the process of calling it a day here, nice place, especially if you planning a family, but the job market is Rotten here. Been out of work six months (ouch)! and it ain't nice at all, I have just been giving a three month contract and then that's it for me, I will complete it and save every dollar, so when I return I can begin the process of starting again , already picked the Car, BMW series 1 (quality) diesel and will focus on my business as well as getting a regular job to pay the necessaries...It is without a doubt very exciting to travel and consider making a new life in another country, But and there's always a but, do your research (as you already know) and get those applications sent over whilst your in the UK and see how many get back to you, this is a very good indicator of how the job market is, Interviews can always be done on Skype these days, and just let them know your situation about living in Australia. . . You can always apply for jobs in the Government, anywhere, but not Perth, as they have put all roles on Freeze, and then there's selection criteria which has to be answered in Government speak this is very important you get these right, essentially they are an essay or equivalent too. Your other half as a Registered Nurse should be able to find a job without too many issues, again it would be my choice to apply from where you are currently, Nursing is in demand, I know this as I have friends who are nurses and live with one (close friend) not OH...NSW are hiring nurses and Melbourne are currently....If I can help just let me know as I mentioned I am no expert on any of these subjects just passing on experience to ya....p.s. Have moved and lived in three different countries to date and have always returned home to the UK, and will be doing it again in six months unless I get that job at the University then that's all going to change my plans

Guest RadiantRed

Hello! There are so many things that you have t consider before moving to any place. One thing important is you are very familiar with the place and you have a possible job and a place to stay. Relatives to your target place is an added plus for you for they could help you out in relation to moving.

Archived