Should we risk all and leave our jobs in UK for 457 visa?

Needtoknow

But they would be entitled to an Australian pension after 10 years of residence wouldn't they? and could keep paying national insurance contributions from Australia to add to the UK pension.

Living off the Australian retirement pension would be a pretty spartan life. I could be wrong, but I had assumed you couldn't claim both the UK state pension and the Australian pension at the same time - and the UK pension is not going to get you far in Australia.

I think my point is that having a little invested in many pots is likely to be a problem, especially when the main pot (superannuation) offers a disproportionate benefit to early adopters and offers so little benefot to those who come to it later in life.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Living off the Australian retirement pension would be a pretty spartan life. I could be wrong, but I had assumed you couldn't claim both the UK state pension and the Australian pension at the same time - and the UK pension is not going to get you far in Australia.

I think my point is that having a little invested in many pots is likely to be a problem, especially when the main pot (superannuation) offers a disproportionate benefit to early adopters and offers so little benefot to those who come to it later in life.

I think John doe believes the Aus pension is generous and give it a good rap!

However Yes you can claim both but the Aus one will reduce by the amount of your UK one, so if you UK one pays more than the max Australian pension, then Aus pays you nothing, If your UK pension pays say $10 less than the Aus pension then Centrelink will pay you $10.

However Yes you can claim both but the Aus one will reduce by the amount of your UK one, so if you UK one pays more than the max Australian pension, then Aus pays you nothing, If your UK pension pays say $10 less than the Aus pension then Centrelink will pay you $10.

So does that mean it's not worth topping up a UK pension then if you paid in say 5 years short?

No, that's not how it works, you can claim both pensions, the first $288 for a couple or $162 for a single per fortnight from the U.K pension will not affect the Australian pension, for every Dollar after that you lose 50c off your Australian pension, you would be considerably better off with both pensions, all this assuming you don't have any other income and are below the asset threshold.

So does that mean it's not worth topping up a UK pension then if you paid in say 5 years short?

If it means getting more than the Aus pension then I would say yes. Remember your UK pension is paid until you die. So leys say you have a nice little win on the lotto or an inheritance, Aus pension will stop until you have spent all your new found wealth, whilst the uk will keep coming.

Please take the above as an opinion and not as financial advice, which should be sought from an expert.

No, that's not how it works, you can claim both pensions, the first $288 for a couple or $162 for a single per fortnight from the U.K pension will not affect the Australian pension, for every Dollar after that you lose 50c off your Australian pension, you would be considerably better off with both pensions, all this assuming you don't have any other income and are below the asset threshold.

Well that's different to what has been said a few time on here, so will need to check this out.

Cheers

I think I'll go by the Australian Government before what's said on here. https://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/income-test-pensions

Yes I was on there before you posted and you are correct ( it was $ for $ when there was an agreement but that ended in 2001 I believe), however there is a maximum income some $2900 or so for a couple per fortnight, then you get zero from Aus but UK will keep paying.

Thanks for your input there amibovered.

Yes I was on there before you posted and you are correct ( it was $ for $ when there was an agreement but that ended in 2001 I believe), however there is a maximum income some $2900 or so for a couple per fortnight, then you get zero from Aus but UK will keep paying.

Thanks for your input there amibovered.

hopefully you've got a bit of U.K pension due to you, every little helps as they say at Tesco, as an aside centerlink will help with the process of claiming a U.K pension when the time comes, in fact I think they will insist you claim any other pensions before they pay the Aussie pension, perhaps that's what you were thinking of.

hopefully you've got a bit of U.K pension due to you, every little helps as they say at Tesco, as an aside centerlink will help with the process of claiming a U.K pension when the time comes, in fact I think they will insist you claim any other pensions before they pay the Aussie pension, perhaps that's what you were thinking of.

Linda already gets her UK pension but that stays there ready for our holidays back there, no doubt the rule will change prior to me being eligible for mine, in 5yrs & 5 days time:sad: (I'm a toy boy you see:wink:)

Linda already gets her UK pension but that stays there ready for our holidays back there, no doubt the rule will change prior to me being eligible for mine, in 5yrs & 5 days time:sad: (I'm a toy boy you see:wink:)
5 years and 5 days at the moment, pension age seems to be galloping away faster that you can catch up these days :wink:

Your husband needs to provide evidence that he's qualified for the job, and that can depend on the type of work. Some occupations may require a year experience and others may need 3 (or more).

But is that down to the employer full stop, or do we have a 457 application form to fill in that will include having to prove a certain number of years? He is a maintenance manager, but his skills are the fitter (general) which is on the SOL list.

At first I thought no, too risky at your age. Then I read a bit more about your situation and it sounds like you are both behind the move and kids aren't a massive worry. I would give it a shot. Teachers are always sought after. Good luck.

Thanks Paul. The kids will get through their education in the UK, then we will support them to apply for their own visas probably. We have to try and what will be will be. It would be a dream come true to teach as this is my passion, but I'll spend the first year working part time (either as a casual teacher or anything that I can find) and at the same time study for the extra year degree level study they have asked for.

Maybe Perth has more opportunities then?

But is that down to the employer full stop, or do we have a 457 application form to fill in that will include having to prove a certain number of years? He is a maintenance manager, but his skills are the fitter (general) which is on the SOL list.

If his skills are on the SOL, and he has the qualifications and experience (it doesn't have to be recent), then forget all this 457 stuff and just go for permanent residence, it will remove a lot of the angst.

I will say there has been a time and a place for a 457, we were very fortunate, but then we didn't ever really think about emigrating, simply just head hunted for a job that was needed, as it turned out we fell in love with OZ, we got PR within the year of arriving thanks to the wonderful support of the company and now we are citizens, it's a great success story and I would never undermine 457's. However, things are very different now and genuine 457's are rare, the opportunities of a few years ago are gone and 457 rules and requirements have definitely changed. I would only ever advocate this route if your skills are exceptionally rare and there is a real certainty of ongoing requirement of your skills. We were totally niave, we just packed up the house and hopped on a plane, not sure we knew if we were emigrating or not to be honest, but now it is very different. I have Aussie friends who've done degrees and masters and PHD's and for them the job market is very tough, and they live here and have Aussie experience, I would say even if the job is on the SOL or CSOl do your due diligence, it's expensive here and very frightening if you are out of funds and out of work xxxx

Guest The Pom Queen
5 years and 5 days at the moment, pension age seems to be galloping away faster that you can catch up these days :wink:

Being a Yorkshire man I bet he is even counting the seconds aren't you @Keith and Linda

If his skills are on the SOL, and he has the qualifications and experience (it doesn't have to be recent), then forget all this 457 stuff and just go for permanent residence, it will remove a lot of the angst.

I wish we could but he only has 18mths/2yrs experience recently then it was five years ago, but that company went bust so we cant get enough evidence even with stat dec/tax docs etc. And even if we could, time isn't on our side as he is 43 now and the process is so long.

Archived