What was the main reason for moving back to UK?

The Smith Clan

Must have been so frustrating! Yes in Sydney, Council supplied a rubbish bin, recycling bin and a green bin for gardening waste. When we came to Devonport I went to the local Council office to request bins, to be told we buy our own here. OK that's fine - $100 a pop though.

Are they golden bins in Tas hi?! Lol!

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are they golden bins in Tas hi?! Lol!

:laugh:

They are exactly the same as we had in Sydney - bloomin' expensive but we had to have one. The previous owner left the recycling bin so we didn't have to buy one of those. Don't know how it will be when and where you end up living here. Maybe supplied by the council if you're lucky - but not in Devonport.

Again, we're not talking about medicine or housing, and tbh, I never found social workers within the Child Protection Department to fit within your "norm" as above. They were very concerned, with poicy, and there certainly never was (that I found) any attitude as you describe it. Their hands seemed tied by the prevalent need to recognise (not necessarily accept) different cultural norms, whilst at the same time, attempting to educate ("steer towards" if you will) that culture to adopt mainstream norms. That "rock and a hard place" whereby any attempt to educate could be seen as interference in/dilution of, another culture, risking further isolation of that culture.

They (Child Protection) were, and still are, haunted by the "Stolen Generation" something that UK Child Protection doesn't have to consider, and having been subjected to the abuse heaped on me, not just by the child's family but also by members of her community, when I had an indigenous child placed in my care, I can well understand, although I guess most others may not, just what the CPA and it's social workers have to worry about and contend with, not just from the family, but from the media.

IMHO, it's not "backward" in a derogatory sense as some describe it, but merely evolving at a pace suitable to the political and social circumstances at the time, and that only anyone with an inkling of Australian history and culture, would understand

I agree the stolen child issue and the influence of right wing politicians wanting to be in denial about the effects it obviously had on aborigine social structures and attitudes was very obvious as a determinant of what SW's felt they could do in terms of child protection, damned if you do, damned if you do, but i think what would have struck SW's from the uk was the lack of discussion around the issue because it was fairly obvious that the impact of right wing politicians was a major determinant of what could and couldn't be done.

• 1 month later...
A big consideration for us is the cost of living in Melbourne.

Whilst housing in Leicestershire isn't 'cheap' it's a damn sight more affordable than in Altona, another consideration is that we can save quite a bit on child care in the UK as the in-laws are happy/desperate to help.

Totally agree with you there. Whilst we have a bigger place here in Melbourne compared to what we had in London, we are paying £500 per month for it and all we have extra is a laundry room and a spare bedroom.... I couldn't believe the prices when we got here!! London by comparison felt cheap and that is definitely saying something when the wages are half of what I was earning in London.

Must have been very disheartening.

I thought it was only public service/government types of jobs that required citizenship - times have changed indeed.

The thing is that goes against the government's own policy on immigration.... I don't understand how local government can adopt totally different rules that contradict what central government has enshrined in law? If you look at the Vic government website it says:

Who can work for the Victorian Government?

To work in government in Victoria you need to be one of the following:

• an Australian Citizen

• a permanent resident of Australia

• a New Zealand citizen, with a valid passport

• a citizen of another country, with a valid visa that provides work rights

• a visitor on a 'working holiday visa', who is working in a temporary or casual role for less than six months with any one employer.

- See more at: http://careers.vic.gov.au/vacancies/working-in-government#sthash.muD7D9rq.dpuf

But so many of the jobs I see place restrictions on the positions and only offer them to Australian citizens....

That's very cheap by Melbourne standards - you either have a bargain or you live a long way out!

Ha sorry I missed a little word out.... "we are paying £500 more per month" - it helps if I write the message correctly!!!

Totally agree with you there. Whilst we have a bigger place here in Melbourne compared to what we had in London, we are paying £500 per month for it and all we have extra is a laundry room and a spare bedroom.... I couldn't believe the prices when we got here!! London by comparison felt cheap and that is definitely saying something when the wages are half of what I was earning in London.

Just think yourself lucky you aren't in Sydney lol

Family- illness. Ageing. never enough time. long periods of time without being able to do simple things with them.

Homesickness- literally real, physical, in bed for 2 weeks kinda stuff that seemed to get worse as the years went on. In no way did i live like that on a daily basis, but when it hit, it hit. like grief.

Feelings of displacement- felt like i was on a some weird, surreal long holiday that was never over. Not everyone gets this. A lot do.

Weather- heat can be as limiting as cold. Hated the sun in the end- it was an enemy to be faced with military precision- clothing to be worn, sunscreen, water, mossie repellant. It aged me and i had 2 pre cancerous things removed.....

Overall sense of not belonging- i gave it a good shot at 9 years. it either works or it doesn't.

could not see myself there forever. took it for what it was, and made the best of it towards the end.

Ultimately, it's people. Back in the bosom of family and close friends. Learned the hard way that when people get sick and die and you are there, it's pretty fking terrible really. And watching my child with these people, that's priceless.

Also, i'm not a beach person. i tried to embrace it, but ultimately, i like books, theatre, museums, country walks (without worrying about wildlife), history and pubs. That's just me. it's what i like. i'm almost 40 and i'll never be a surfer.

good luck!!!

could have written this myself! I'm only 1 year into my stint back in Australia (lived here for 3 years previously) I will live here up to 10 years for my husbands sake and his family (as they are all australian) if I have my way though I will be back in 5 and never leave England again.

For no particular reason,I have a strong feeling ,reading your post ,that you are going to love being home .

Devon ..good choice ?...like Exeter ...love croyde

i lived in Braunton and worked in Croyde for YEARS. After that Mid-Devon became my home, Exeter is my favourite city in the world, and Devon countryside just can't be beaten. I wish with all my heart that my life takes me back there one day

i lived in Braunton and worked in Croyde for YEARS. After that Mid-Devon became my home, Exeter is my favourite city in the world, and Devon countryside just can't be beaten. I wish with all my heart that my life takes me back there one day

Noticed a few on here that have moved back to Devon or Exeter, going to have to visit. :) Ive spent many happy holidays in Cornwall (Hayle st ives ) but never been to Devon and only stopped off at Exeter for service.

Noticed a few on here that have moved back to Devon or Exeter, going to have to visit. :) Ive spent many happy holidays in Cornwall (Hayle st ives ) but never been to Devon and only stopped off at Exeter for service.[/quote

love Cornwall too! Can't wait to go back

That's interesting, I too have lived in Perth, WA for 9 years, and quite honestly it has not been the greatest of experiences to which I have encountered, I won't bore you to death, but the job market is totally my worst nightmare (sort of) as it's the most difficult market to get into, even with reputable organisations which I have worked for, it makes no difference at all, and to be honest, I am done n dusted with all the other stuff too, such as quality or there lack of food, and sooo mega expensive here in Perth, unbelievable, and I am done with this Heat - it just isn't me at all, at 38 degrees today, completely over it, perhaps it's an age thing, but you can't do anything with these temperatures and I find myself having to take 4 Cold showers during these temps, I won't even go into the Mozzy thing, that's just an added wind-up...so to say, I know it all sounds a bit negative, but as you said, you either like it here in Australia or you don't and after 9 years I've just had quite enough thanks, I am very much looking forward to returning to the UK (London) and starting again, with my career as now I have 3 different ones, and a business which I will focus on...and really looking forward to just having quality food over there, even a good curry would help....even those country walks looking at the Rivers and Lakes again and experiencing the weather again, this is the third time I have left the UK and I always want to return....It's just totally different here in Australia, not made too many friends, and the ones I have are English, not sure how that one works,

I'm already researching what Car I am going to get for when i do return which will be about three months after my contract finishes, (been out of work for five long months) and that'l do it..

Genuine question. Did you not check to see what kind of wage you would earn before leaving uk ? , to take a pay cut of upto half of what you were earning there must have been a big plus to come to oz

That drive as you come up the hill through Saunton ,on the way to croyde ,and you see the ocean appear hundreds of feet below you ,is probably my favourite view on the planet ....and then around the bend to croyde

We'll be moving to Okehampton. Looking forward to seeing Dartmoor again and spending time out rambling.

I would like here from those who are in Aus and have now retired and how they are finding retirement.

When I was working I was so busy during the week and on weekends busy with household things life really just went on and I didnt think to much about the UK and never thought about retirement. Now retired and due to reasons I wont go into we are not comfortable financially.

This has meant retiring to an area a good couple of hours from a capital city. Hope was to at least get stuck into gardening, but with little rain and poor soil that has not worked. SO, what to do in retirement in Aus if you are not financially able to travel ? Not much to be honest. Not in to lawn bowls, or fishing, or football.

Yes could join clubs like Lions, but find Aussies are hard to get close to, they dont seem to understand the british sense of humour or even our work ethic.

Everything is so far away you need to have a car, and even then we are starting to realize there is little to do. The heat in summer is oppresive, Love winter but it only last for about 8 weeks here.

Have looked at the cost of going back but with the exchange rate if we sold our house, we would not be able to buy another even close to the standard we have now ( and it is pretty basic) in a rural area, of England .

For a long time now I have realized how much I have left behind in the UK, always a castle to visit, a walk around the village and a friendly chat. I cant even put into word the ache I feel knowing I am now stuck here, until I die.

For many it works and they love it, all I say is if you are coming over put plans in place so that IF one day you decide it is not for you, then you are able to return.

I would like here from those who are in Aus and have now retired and how they are finding retirement.

When I was working I was so busy during the week and on weekends busy with household things life really just went on and I didnt think to much about the UK and never thought about retirement. Now retired and due to reasons I wont go into we are not comfortable financially.

This has meant retiring to an area a good couple of hours from a capital city. Hope was to at least get stuck into gardening, but with little rain and poor soil that has not worked. SO, what to do in retirement in Aus if you are not financially able to travel ? Not much to be honest. Not in to lawn bowls, or fishing, or football.

Yes could join clubs like Lions, but find Aussies are hard to get close to, they dont seem to understand the british sense of humour or even our work ethic.

Everything is so far away you need to have a car, and even then we are starting to realize there is little to do. The heat in summer is oppresive, Love winter but it only last for about 8 weeks here.

Have looked at the cost of going back but with the exchange rate if we sold our house, we would not be able to buy another even close to the standard we have now ( and it is pretty basic) in a rural area, of England .

For a long time now I have realized how much I have left behind in the UK, always a castle to visit, a walk around the village and a friendly chat. I cant even put into word the ache I feel knowing I am now stuck here, until I die.

For many it works and they love it, all I say is if you are coming over put plans in place so that IF one day you decide it is not for you, then you are able to return.

Loving retirement!! We lived in Sydney for nearly 30 years but always wanted to live in Tasmania. Unfortunately lack of employment opportunities put moving here on the back boiler. As soon as we retired, we sold our house, left our two grown sons and all our friends in Sydney and here we are two years later as happy as pigs in muck. Made lovely friends and spend a lot of time out and about just exploring, walking for miles and just relaxing and enjoying life. It wouldn't suit everyone but we like the much slower pace of life and a nice climate with four proper seasons. As for nice friendly chats, I walk to the shops, farmers market, library and cinema and on the way I always meet people I now know for a chat. Very different to living in a city.

:no::no::no: You poor thing. Where do you live Tina? If you can't leave Australia, any chance you can move to Tasmania or somewhere like the Dandenong ranges of Victoria? Much more moderate climate and green/fertile.

Loving retirement!! We lived in Sydney for nearly 30 years but always wanted to live in Tasmania. Unfortunately lack of employment opportunities put moving here on the back boiler. As soon as we retired, we sold our house, left our two grown sons and all our friends in Sydney and here we are two years later as happy as pigs in muck. Made lovely friends and spend a lot of time out and about just exploring, walking for miles and just relaxing and enjoying life. It wouldn't suit everyone but we like the much slower pace of life and a nice climate with four proper seasons. As for nice friendly chats, I walk to the shops, farmers market, library and cinema and on the way I always meet people I now know for a chat. Very different to living in a city.

Thanks Jock, we did look at Tassie, lovely place but OH didnt want to leave his son's on the main land. Maybe things would have been better over there than where we are now

Genuine question. Did you not check to see what kind of wage you would earn before leaving uk ? , to take a pay cut of upto half of what you were earning there must have been a big plus to come to oz

Absolutely, but the recruiters I spoke to were misleading to say the least.... I knew there would be a paycut (to be expected and I was cool with that) but when I started actually going for jobs and speaking to employers I had to slash my wage expectations right back. When I was in the UK the employers in Oz wouldn't even speak to me so I had to deal with recruiters, who are slippery to say the least.....

Absolutely, but the recruiters I spoke to were misleading to say the least.... I knew there would be a paycut (to be expected and I was cool with that) but when I started actually going for jobs and speaking to employers I had to slash my wage expectations right back. When I was in the UK the employers in Oz wouldn't even speak to me so I had to deal with recruiters, who are slippery to say the least.....

i understand where you are coming from ,I made enquirers before we came out but as you said they are not interested until you get here . my wife had job to come to so we knew what she would be earning , I was fixed up by my brothers friend so was lucky , I did take a bit of a pay cut for my next job but after a few months was earning more. It can be a strange place at times

all the best for the future

:no::no::no: You poor thing. Where do you live Tina? If you can't leave Australia, any chance you can move to Tasmania or somewhere like the Dandenong ranges of Victoria? Much more moderate climate and green/fertile.

We are retired ,came back to the UK 2 years ago now going back to Adelaide because of the pull of family

Having said that the UK is so easy to get around we love it

would you have to live in a rural are as most towns rural is not that far away

We are in the north east where house prices are cheaper but we also have lovely ares we drive to regularly the Lake District is not that far by Aussie standards

Its a hard call for you we have a foot in both camps and we are quite happy in both countries but family ties pull

Archived