What do you enjoy about life in Australia?

Harpodom

For me:

Geelong: nice clean, safe, peaceful place to bring up kids. Not too pretentious

Beautiful beaches

Victorian climate

Barwon river for running and walking the dog

Melbourne for culture and beers with EW

Vast number of places as yet unexplored by the Harpo's

Australian people: friendly, laid back, inclusive (mostly)

You?

For me:

Geelong: nice clean, safe, peaceful place to bring up kids. Not too pretentious

Beautiful beaches

Victorian climate

Barwon river for running and walking the dog

Melbourne for culture and beers with EW

Vast number of places as yet unexplored by the Harpo's

Australian people: friendly, laid back, inclusive (mostly)

You?

I will just address this first but it's no secret Geelong long ago lost its lustre for me. On our last visit we found the city centre rundown and dirty with loads of empty shops. All I hear from Geelong based friends are tales of drugs (mostly ice it seems) and violence.

What I personally enjoyed about Australia was rainforests, the wildlife and electric BBQs.

The fact I can and do lead a pretty simple life:wink:

You move somewhere new, you can then set the bar on how you want your life to be.

I love all the free stuff that is all around us, I enjoy hopping in the car, driving less than ten minutes to the local dog beach, where I can swim in the Indian Ocean with my furbabies.

i enjoy the endless coastal cycle paths, the free to use BBQs in most parks, the weather that gives us the opportunity to do these things.

If I need/want to go anywhere not local, fuel isn't expensive, and public transport is great value.

the area that I live is so community based. No feeing of being crowded, semi rural, but with the city within distance.

So many places to visit to visit in Aus, want to see them all.

the wildlife is amazing. Going out on the jet ski, with dolphins swimming round you, the birds that visit your garden, the roos down the road, the geckos running up your house wall, bobtails when your walking.

love it love it love it

The weekend can always be like being on holiday without much hassle.

Now that we're retired life is one long holiday. Loving the peace and quiet, friendly people and slower pace of life. There is lovely scenery around and the climate suits me. I keep saying "We must take a trip to Hobart and go exploring 'down south'" but we have been busy just settling in and getting to know some really nice people and exploring all around the north and west coast, we haven't had time to make it to the south of Tasmania yet.

The wildlife - I was sitting at South Perth the other night looking at the skyline and I heard some kookaburras. Couldn't see them but it still instantly brings a big smile to my face. Although on the other hand I've had 2 cockroaches chase me in the past 2 weeks which never happened in the UK!

The weather is good - I haven't had too many days that I've struggled with.

I love the parks like kings park. I love that there's free bbq's and people don't wreck them. I also like the beaches

Life's a beach! (The ocean.)

Bit hot sometimes, but those sunsets are to die for...

The land waking up is always a special time of day too.

I usually wake up with a feeling of get up and go. So much to do and the daylight to energise me.

I love the fact that you don't always have to be wrapped up in clothing.

The birds.

The food.

The wonderful places to enjoy it.

The cleanliness.

The space.

The freedom to roam where you want for thousands of miles and be left alone by all but the flies.

The ancestral spirit of the first Australians.

The shared community feel and our "little triumphant history"

The fact that not too much is sacred (except sport). :D

Well meaning people.

The opportunity to be healthy and happy.

The land on which I was raised and the interesting mix of people that inhabit the place.

Rugged people. Rugged beauty.

I enjoy being part of a country of peoples from all walks of life and with backgrounds from many different countries whom in general all get on together.

At the Canberra Citizenship ceremony, I think they said there were people from some 55 different countries :notworthy: no way can anybody say that Australia is a racist country, it may have some rules/restrictions which could be looked at being so, but I think yesterday would have blew that argument out of the water!

I enjoy being part of a country of peoples from all walks of life and with backgrounds from many different countries whom in general all get on together.

At the Canberra Citizenship ceremony, I think they said there were people from some 55 different countries :notworthy: no way can anybody say that Australia is a racist country, it may have some rules/restrictions which could be looked at being so, but I think yesterday would have blew that argument out of the water!

Not quite sure what that has to do with the day to day experience of those visible immigrants and racism, but Australia Day, is finally transforming, to be an al inclusive day for everybody regardless of religion, colour and creed. Something I long advocated years ago when it appeared to be taken over by flag covered louts and definitely strong hints at the opposite the inclusion. A few very nasty and violent events woke I suppose the powers that be, to direct it in another direction. As such we are all stronger for it.

It is in a sense, and hopefully will become even more so, a celebration like St Patricks Day, where all can join in regards of where in the world ones finds oneself. As in Australia, tourists, folk in traditional clobber, Muslims, Jewish, the lot all have a place within the theme to celebrate. Only way forward.

Not quite sure what that has to do with the day to day experience of those visible immigrants and racism, but Australia Day, is finally transforming, to be an al inclusive day for everybody regardless of religion, colour and creed. Something I long advocated years ago when it appeared to be taken over by flag covered louts and definitely strong hints at the opposite the inclusion. A few very nasty and violent events woke I suppose the powers that be, to direct it in another direction. As such we are all stronger for it.

It is in a sense, and hopefully will become even more so, a celebration like St Patricks Day, where all can join in regards of where in the world ones finds oneself. As in Australia, tourists, folk in traditional clobber, Muslims, Jewish, the lot all have a place within the theme to celebrate. Only way forward.

Gee flag you are hard work sometimes. My first line is what I enjoy about Australia, the people I work with, the people I sometimes deal with (foreign call centres excepted) the people I meet at the shops or on the street, nothing to do about racism. The rest of my post was an observation with an opinion thrown in.

Now that we're retired life is one long holiday. Loving the peace and quiet, friendly people and slower pace of life. There is lovely scenery around and the climate suits me. I keep saying "We must take a trip to Hobart and go exploring 'down south'" but we have been busy just settling in and getting to know some really nice people and exploring all around the north and west coast, we haven't had time to make it to the south of Tasmania yet.

If you ever get to Hobart and looking for a nice meal, try the,

http://drunkenadmiral.com.au/

and a visit to the Salamanca Market is a must,

http://www.salamanca.com.au/

as is a walk around Battery Point which is a step back in history.

If you ever get to Hobart and looking for a nice meal, try the,

http://drunkenadmiral.com.au/

and a visit to the Salamanca Market is a must,

http://www.salamanca.com.au/

as is a walk around Battery Point which is a step back in history.

We've been to Hobart when we used to come to Tasmania on holiday and really enjoyed ourselves. Salamanca market is always interesting.

Gee flag you are hard work sometimes. My first line is what I enjoy about Australia, the people I work with, the people I sometimes deal with (foreign call centres excepted) the people I meet at the shops or on the street, nothing to do about racism. The rest of my post was an observation with an opinion thrown in.

It certainly had to do with racism as you made a comment with a supposition around the subject. Just putting a bit of flesh around the bone,No free loaders around me. Expect to quizzed on assumptions. I surely am with every Australia post I comment on, regardless of the facts.

Australia is as racist as any other Western democracy, by that I mean there is racism just as there is anywhere else. That doesn't make the country racist, it just means their is racism. That shouldn't surprise anyone really.

I was enjoying this thread until it turned into a "racism" post.

Lost interest in it now. Shame people can't stick to the matter in hand ie "what do you ENJOY about life in Australia"

Some people can't help themselves.

Yes sorry about that Metoo, my post was more about how we can and generally do get on together.

Archived