Obtaining Australian Passport and UK passport for child born in Aus.

Coney

Hi All

Hoping someone can help - my daughter was born last August here in Australia and both myself and my partner are permanent residents, but not yet citizens.

It is my understanding that she is eligible for both an Aus passport and a British one as she is a dual citizen of both countries. Really we just need one or the other for the time being, because we are planning a holiday back to the UK in June.

Aus Passport - say they require her Aus birth certificate (fine, got that) plus one of our passports showing our visa label. We don't have visa labels, the visas are electronic. Apparently the IMMI grant notice is not acceptable. So we have to fill out a form 119 which needs.... the child's photo ID to support it!

UK passport - It is not clear whether she is already a British citizen and so just needs to apply for a passport, or whether she needs to apply for her British citizenship first. After hours of googling and reading through info I cannot get to the bottom of this as it all seems conflicting. If she needs to apply for British citizenship it seems quite involves, requiring an appointment with the high commission in Canberra etc.

Has anyone been through this recently who can offer any wisdom?? Going a bit mad here.

Many thanks.

It would be best to apply for the Australian passport as she will need that to re-enter Australia on the return journey.

She is already a British citizen, it is just a case of applying for the British passport, she will have dual nationality.

She doesn't really have much choice - if you are intending to return to Aus then she will need an Aus one to leave and re-enter. On entering UK, she will have her Aus passport stamped with a 6 month visitors visa so as long as you don't plan to stay that long then it's all good. Otherwise just fill in form C2 for her UK passport and be done with it.

The information you need regarding British citizenship for a child born outside the UK to British parents is noted in the guidance notes at the link below:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/483729/MN1_Guide_December_2015.pdf

None of that is necessary or applicable for children born overseas to parents who are British other than by descent - i.e. if either parent was born in the UK. These children are automatically British by descent and don't need to apply for citizenship.

It's also not required to register the birth in the UK - in fact it's not even possible to do so for children born in Australia. Australian birth certificates are recognised and accepted by UK authorities.

Children born in Australia who are automatically British by descent, only need to apply for a British passport to prove their status.

None of that is necessary or applicable for children born overseas to parents who are British other than by descent - i.e. if either parent was born in the UK. These children are automatically British by descent and don't need to apply for citizenship.

It's also not required to register the birth in the UK - in fact it's not even possible to do so for children born in Australia. Australian birth certificates are recognised and accepted by UK authorities.

Children born in Australia who are automatically British by descent, only need to apply for a British passport to prove their status.

Exactly. I didn't say registration was required. The guidance notes confirm that citizenship by descent is automatically acquired in the situation described. I just thought the guidance notes - as an official source - might provide more comfort to the OP than a response that isn't supported by anything....

It used to be you could pay a fee and have a visa label printed and mailed to you to put in your passport. Seems that stopped but surely Aus passport applications accept VEVO?

https://www.border.gov.au/aboutyourvisa

https://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/Form/Immi-FAQs/how-do-i-check-if-i-have-a-valid-visa-if-i-dont-have-a-label

I would hope Australia have some contingency for this sort of situation as its not uncommon for babies born to PR parents to apply for an Aus passport. Is this applying for your child's passport at the PO? I'd perhaps give them a call to discuss with someone who does know the changes and what to do or seek out another PO or means of application if possible.

Also one thing here is there is nothing on the 119 form saying the child's passport ID required has to be or can only be Australian is there? If not, what is wrong with getting the UK passport (pretty straightforward to do and not expensive, iirc its about £60 and back within 4-6 weeks) and then using that? Check with the PO or wherever you plan to make your application if this is acceptable and if so, go about it that way.

ETA - https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/australia/applying/child/australia

ETA 2 - As has been said, its only the UK passport you need to apply for for baby, not UK citizenship (if you or your partner were born in UK etc). The citizenship by descent is a whole other thing that isn't usually relevant to most migrants from the UK with Aus PR. Holding both Aus and UK passports is fine and in the first instance for a child I always think its worthwhile getting both so its done and out the way.

OK, so it seems that she is a British Citizen already and so we just need to do the passport application. Thanks for clarifying this - I had read through the info online but it seemed to conflict in places.

With the Aus passport, I will ask about the Vevo Snifter, thank you. It does seem crazy that a visa label is required because I hadn't thought anyone had visa labels anymore.

If not, it does look like we'll be getting the British passport and then using it to apply for the Aus one. That does seem a bit ridiculous but needs must!

Thank you everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

Coney, could you please let me know how you are going with that? We are in a similar situation. PO did not accept VEVO and I was told to fill in the form 119 which asks for the same stupid passport stamp. When talking to the lady from the Citizenship Information Line I told her we don't have a stamp in our passport and what other evidence we could provide. She said VEVO or email from immigration is not accepted but 'anything that proves you are a PR... e.g. drivers license etc." No clear statement! I understand this citizenship certificate is $190. We've got twins so everything is double.

Thanks for info!

Coney, could you please let me know how you are going with that? We are in a similar situation. PO did not accept VEVO and I was told to fill in the form 119 which asks for the same stupid passport stamp. When talking to the lady from the Citizenship Information Line I told her we don't have a stamp in our passport and what other evidence we could provide. She said VEVO or email from immigration is not accepted but 'anything that proves you are a PR... e.g. drivers license etc." No clear statement! I understand this citizenship certificate is $190. We've got twins so everything is double.

Thanks for info!

Considering I got my VIC driver's license while holding a 457 visa, it certainly doesn't prove you are a PR.

I think this is another example of the people on the phone not knowing the process. I've seen elsewhere someone getting a citizenship certificate for their child after providing a completed form 119 + a copy of the PR visa grant notice.

Thanks for info!

I had suggested applying for UK passport (if children are eligible) and then using theis for the application.

UK passports are straightforward to apply for and cost the same from overseas as they do in the UK. Usually back within a month to six weeks.

Hopefully the OP will check in to let us know how they are going.

She doesn't really have much choice - if you are intending to return to Aus then she will need an Aus one to leave and re-enter. On entering UK, she will have her Aus passport stamped with a 6 month visitors visa so as long as you don't plan to stay that long then it's all good. Otherwise just fill in form C2 for her UK passport and be done with it.

As Quoll says, the Australian one is the priority, as you'll face significant problems trying to get your child on the flight back from the UK to Australia otherwise (ie proving to the airline that they have a right to travel to Australia as their UK passport would not have a visa etc). You may also then face questions as to why they left Australia other than on an Australian passport as they are an Australian citizen. Concurrently you could look at getting the UK passport as it does make travel so much easier in the EU.

• 1 month later...

So how is it going guys with this thread in regards to passport for child oz and uk passport,I'm about to do same I'm not finding the uk passport one great to understand on what they require me as supporting docs.

Going through the doc list slowly it asks:

Completed dec form easy enough.

Two photos again all good.

Full birth or adoption cert showing child and parents details all good his oz birth cert has all this.

For dual nationals a full copy uncanceled non british/overseas territories citizen passport relating to you (this be child as his passport) ignore this as he has no oz passport yet.

If you are applying from a country that is not the country where you where born please provide: passport or travel docs and blah blah been answered already on here ignore this as its his first passport.

This is the one that gets me what are they asking for here:

Parents documents whats it asking for here in short my birth cert?

If applicant born or adopted in the uk -parents or adoptive parents docs i should ignore this part as born in oz.

If applicant born or adopted outside uk-parents or adoptive parents docs:

The passport you entered the country from from which you are applying or any non british passport held(is this asking for my passport which is a uk one)? And im sure been answered already if so no longer need to send can just send certified copys now.

If the birth cert you provide you provide has not been issued by a british embassy,high com or consulate showing parents details also provide:

If born on or after 2 jan 1983 also please provide :

One of your parents full birth certs and if its your father his marriage cert to your mum.

Now on what read there its asking for my passport and birth cert right? Is this asking for marriage cert also?

And when it asks for my passport and birth cert does mum need to supply as well or just me as im filling in forms.

A question that gets me is furher down bottom of page if your parents were born on or after 1 jan 1983 you will also need to provide evidence of your grandparents claim to british nationality by providing their birth cert and in the case of granfathers their marriage cert to your grandmother if certs are available this does not apply if your parent's british nationality is based on registration,naturalisation or their immigration status.

Now this has got me wife was born 1984 but as above mentioned before do they need both our passports etc etc.

If so could find it difficult gaining this for wife being in oz.

Im not clear on this.

Other stuff not related stupid why the ask change of name, evidence,going back to maiden or unmarried name again not relevant,changing spelling of your name, rest on checklist are not relevant too.

Thats it guys in short what is it they want as need to get this off next week have a read through that as its doing my head in baby brain and lack of sleep at nights does it for me.

As you guys have now probably done this what did you use to send docs in,what method of postage did you use and how much?

im right in saying if I have to supply passport of mine then no longer needs to be sent but can be copied and now sent.

in regards to your 119 firm evidence of citizenship I was talking about this online and was getting pretty annoyed have grant letters etc was not enough or even as someone mentioned vevo I was told I could use an old passport I still have with a label in it,this passport is now expired as have newer one and I'm not sure if label would even still be valid.

And like others never bothered with my newer passport as done electronically.

if I'm able to use my old passport great and as I was told it's proof of pr well can't get more proof than than in an old passport?

but still thing it's mad one agency don't talk with another to confirm.

i have paid for my child's uk passport online so need to get cracking on this,but also have oz application I'm told also no harm in applying for both same time as one does not know of other and don't care.has anyone applied same time for two.

yes I will get the 119 evidence of citizenship down the line but would rather it wait just now and get both passports.but if it comes to post office not accepting my old passport with label in then I have no other options.

in regards to passport photos uk and oz are different sizes how much different are they?as went to aus post today and as baby is pretty young was hard to get him in the right mode,I said to guy I want these for uk and oz passports,we tried before 20 mins previous as said guy tried a few shots was not happening went back and was starting to give up, post office guy said he got one should be ok.

i said remember one is for uk and other oz passports,he said it be fine just use any of them we are only taking a few mm.

End of the day he be the guy at post office that accepts the oz application but if oz passport agency is happy all good as not only that I thought both eyes had to be wide open,one of his eyes is slight shut,guy in post office said they will be fine done loads of these,and they are pretty flexible at that age.

ok that's good on oz passport but it's the uk passport pics he said to use which is same size as the oz ones again says fine it be a bit of a carry on if uk knocks pics back due to being oz size. You can pay Aus post to check your application for sending to uk by the way has anyone done this so would hate to pay that fee he says ok to uk passport pics and uk passport guys knock it back,it would delay things further and he would need to take pics again hope at his cost,but what about me if I need to send new pics to oz and uk passport guys,best he not cover costs there.

By the way did you post your stuff in a a4 envelope and was this supplied at auspost office for uk application docs or even oz application or did you send in smaller envelope? I like to keep my docs a4 size and not fold but I bet when they return your docs back from uk the fold them in half?

sorty for long post

My grandson born in Australia of English parents who are permanent residents got his Australian passport but had to show his parents residency visa which were in old passports ( not electronic like now )

Our granddaughter born in Oz of an English Mum and Aussie dad got her Aussie passport on her dads info but her UK passport which she got while she was in the uk I think she had to produce her Mums birth certificate and our status ie British born

So how is it going guys with this thread in regards to passport for child oz and uk passport,I'm about to do same I'm not finding the uk passport one great to understand on what they require me as supporting docs.

Going through the doc list slowly it asks:

Completed dec form easy enough.

Two photos again all good.

Full birth or adoption cert showing child and parents details all good his oz birth cert has all this.

For dual nationals a full copy uncanceled non british/overseas territories citizen passport relating to you (this be child as his passport) ignore this as he has no oz passport yet.

If you are applying from a country that is not the country where you where born please provide: passport or travel docs and blah blah been answered already on here ignore this as its his first passport.

This is the one that gets me what are they asking for here:

Parents documents whats it asking for here in short my birth cert?

If applicant born or adopted in the uk -parents or adoptive parents docs i should ignore this part as born in oz.

If applicant born or adopted outside uk-parents or adoptive parents docs:

The passport you entered the country from from which you are applying or any non british passport held(is this asking for my passport which is a uk one)? And im sure been answered already if so no longer need to send can just send certified copys now.

If the birth cert you provide you provide has not been issued by a british embassy,high com or consulate showing parents details also provide:

If born on or after 2 jan 1983 also please provide :

One of your parents full birth certs and if its your father his marriage cert to your mum.

Now on what read there its asking for my passport and birth cert right? Is this asking for marriage cert also?

And when it asks for my passport and birth cert does mum need to supply as well or just me as im filling in forms.

A question that gets me is furher down bottom of page if your parents were born on or after 1 jan 1983 you will also need to provide evidence of your grandparents claim to british nationality by providing their birth cert and in the case of granfathers their marriage cert to your grandmother if certs are available this does not apply if your parent's british nationality is based on registration,naturalisation or their immigration status.

Now this has got me wife was born 1984 but as above mentioned before do they need both our passports etc etc.

If so could find it difficult gaining this for wife being in oz.

Im not clear on this.

Other stuff not related stupid why the ask change of name, evidence,going back to maiden or unmarried name again not relevant,changing spelling of your name, rest on checklist are not relevant too.

Thats it guys in short what is it they want as need to get this off next week have a read through that as its doing my head in baby brain and lack of sleep at nights does it for me.

As you guys have now probably done this what did you use to send docs in,what method of postage did you use and how much?

im right in saying if I have to supply passport of mine then no longer needs to be sent but can be copied and now sent.

in regards to your 119 firm evidence of citizenship I was talking about this online and was getting pretty annoyed have grant letters etc was not enough or even as someone mentioned vevo I was told I could use an old passport I still have with a label in it,this passport is now expired as have newer one and I'm not sure if label would even still be valid.

And like others never bothered with my newer passport as done electronically.

if I'm able to use my old passport great and as I was told it's proof of pr well can't get more proof than than in an old passport?

but still thing it's mad one agency don't talk with another to confirm.

i have paid for my child's uk passport online so need to get cracking on this,but also have oz application I'm told also no harm in applying for both same time as one does not know of other and don't care.has anyone applied same time for two.

yes I will get the 119 evidence of citizenship down the line but would rather it wait just now and get both passports.but if it comes to post office not accepting my old passport with label in then I have no other options.

in regards to passport photos uk and oz are different sizes how much different are they?as went to aus post today and as baby is pretty young was hard to get him in the right mode,I said to guy I want these for uk and oz passports,we tried before 20 mins previous as said guy tried a few shots was not happening went back and was starting to give up, post office guy said he got one should be ok.

i said remember one is for uk and other oz passports,he said it be fine just use any of them we are only taking a few mm.

End of the day he be the guy at post office that accepts the oz application but if oz passport agency is happy all good as not only that I thought both eyes had to be wide open,one of his eyes is slight shut,guy in post office said they will be fine done loads of these,and they are pretty flexible at that age.

ok that's good on oz passport but it's the uk passport pics he said to use which is same size as the oz ones again says fine it be a bit of a carry on if uk knocks pics back due to being oz size. You can pay Aus post to check your application for sending to uk by the way has anyone done this so would hate to pay that fee he says ok to uk passport pics and uk passport guys knock it back,it would delay things further and he would need to take pics again hope at his cost,but what about me if I need to send new pics to oz and uk passport guys,best he not cover costs there.

By the way did you post your stuff in a a4 envelope and was this supplied at auspost office for uk application docs or even oz application or did you send in smaller envelope? I like to keep my docs a4 size and not fold but I bet when they return your docs back from uk the fold them in half?

sorty for long post

You sned it by post probably getting it tracked is a good idea. Ask the post office whats the best method to send it. theyve been doing photos for years too so they should know whats right or wrong.

I think you have been here too long to use your passport to prove your status here, you will need to get the baby's citizenship certificate. Probably a good idea to get that anyway, its a good thing to have. I don't understand what you mean about agencys not talking to each other, why would you expect the UK passport agency to talk to the Australian passport office to confirm your status, its up to you to do that.

And if it says one of your parents birth certificates, they don't want them both. If you send yours, they say they want your marriage certificate too.

Bit of a ong post so hope that was all your questions!

Archived