Cost for pulling a fibre optic cable across 40 kms

Indianinoz

Hello,

Suppose a community of say 300 people wants to starts residing about 40 kms away from a city where wired internet, wired telephone and wired cable TV are available, what would be the cost to put the cable? I'm looking for logical estimates. Am I right that one fibre optic cable can cover all the 3 things? Or does cable TV require some other wire?

Indianinoz, sometimes I wonder who you think sees this forum. We are all just migrants or potential migrants like you, if you're lucky some people will have expertise in something - but why do you expect any of us to know the answer to such a question??

You really really need to learn to use Google:

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=cost%20to%20lay%20fibre%20optic%20cable%20per%20mile

Apparently in the US the cost is about $30,000 per mile of cable. I don't see why it would be much different in Australia.

I'd think a bigger issue with establishing a new community would be water.

Edited by Marisawright

Most remote communities in Australia use Satellite for their Internet and TV needs (it's even available via the NBN just google it). Unfortunately there's no means of using a Satellite dish as a substitute for water pipes (well maybe just after a big downpour) so as Marisawright says you really need to get that and the other basics (such as finding the other 299 members for your cult) sorted out first.

The rate will differ between urban and rural, rural being cheaper.

Most Telco will not be interested at 300 so it would need to be capital investment on your part. Remember its not just the cost of digging and laying the pipe, there is ongoing maintenance, scenarios of tenants of the land it crosses digging through with a back hoe in later years. Switches?

Have a chat to some of the network guys in Australia

Most remote communities in Australia use Satellite for their Internet and TV needs (it's even available via the NBN just google it). Unfortunately there's no means of using a Satellite dish as a substitute for water pipes (well maybe just after a big downpour) so as Marisawright says you really need to get that and the other basics (such as finding the other 299 members for your cult) sorted out first.

I've got a feeling to OP won't want to use satellite.

Forgot to add your 40km consideration maybe a lot more.

The connection to fibre is not just where your property reaches the highway where fibre goes past. You need to go back to a connection point which may well be the nearest city or major town.

I seem to remember there were some rough estimates from NBN in 2013...

found something here:

2) City cost per linear metre is at $25-$30

3) Less than 50 Km from city $50-$60/linear metre

4) Rural area $100-$110/linear metre

Even if you had the money, there would probably be some overheads for a one off as well. Good Luck, be interested to see if you pursue it and how much it costs you!