Could this be our opportunity??.........please help!!

vikkeytymo

you will need a skills assessment, you'll need to prove qualifications, work experience and you'll need to provide videos of you doing different hairdressing techniques. There are only 2 states currently sponsoring hairdressing the NT and Tasmania and from my experience it is tough getting in!

I was looking at NT if I was to apply via myself. It says I need at least 1 years experience to be accepted. What are the techniques you have to do? Is it via Skype? X

I have heard how expensive it is but our housing would be subsidised also through the company. Im currently weighing up the pros and cons..........I dont know whether to just go and grin and bare it to just get over there and go from there???? X

If it was just the two of you, I'd say go for it. With children, I would be very worried. After all, if you hate it, or find the schools are poor, you'll be stuck - if you leave that employer you'll have 90 days to leave the country.

Also remember, it's a complete myth that a 457 automatically "converts" to PR. Many people go to Australia on that assumption and don't manage to get PR - if the employer goes bust or cuts staff, the opportunity will disappear. In this case, I would be very worried about that possibility: Karratha businesses are completely dependent on the mining industry, which is winding down.

I was looking at NT if I was to apply via myself. It says I need at least 1 years experience to be accepted. What are the techniques you have to do? Is it via Skype? X

You would have to do a vetassess skills assessment first which consists of two parts, the first is the paper part. I had to send my cv, proof of employment, employer references, qualifications all of which needed to be certified by a professional. I sent pictures and videos of all types of hairdressing techniques, there's a list of what they require and it involves cutting, different colouring techniques, perming, facial shaving, chemical straightening etc then the second part is a Skype interview which I won't lie, it was intense! Have a read of the hairdresser thread listed above, me and a few other girls have written everything we did and what questions we had, it will give you an idea of what's involved.

With the NT they want a proof of funds too which for us was $50,000 which we don't have. I'm a few months short of 5 years post qualification experience so Tasmania is just out of reach and out qld option was taken off the list in November. I have an employer in tassie who's looking into a 186 visa so fingers crossed! If you are thinking of going down the hairdressing route id start immediately, vetassess took me 8 months from start to getting my certificate and you never know what's going to happen to the csol or sol list.

I haven't read through the whole thread... So this may have all ready been covered! But if your a chef, what's stopping you from applying on a 189 skilled independent visa?

I'm a chef and that's exactly what I have done, I'm just waiting for the grant now. If this is an option for you then I will gladly PM you my experience of the whole process.

I haven't read through the whole thread... So this may have all ready been covered! But if your a chef, what's stopping you from applying on a 189 skilled independent visa?

I'm a chef and that's exactly what I have done, I'm just waiting for the grant now. If this is an option for you then I will gladly PM you my experience of the whole process.

Not enough post work experience to pass skills assessment and being 45 will make it almost impossible to pass points test - reasons why 189 is not an option.

I have heard how expensive it is but our housing would be subsidised also through the company. Im currently weighing up the pros and cons..........I dont know whether to just go and grin and bare it to just get over there and go from there???? X

I have a good friend who teaches regionally and housing isn't that subsidised. Also, there are significant issues with this housing. For example, if something needs fixing, you have to wait till the state employee contractors are in the area. Not an issue with a small fix, but a bigger one when, as my friends had recently, they had no water and the department wait time was over a month.

Hi , my wife and I are in NT after 2 years being in VIC . We got cheated by a MA of almost 10 k and had to leave Aust as soon as possible .. We packed our bags and left to home country ..All our plans of living the dream , starting a family went crashing down ... 2 years later we tried again , this time much research and preparations were done , we are back in NT under RSMS now .. waiting for our visa grant ... My point of relating our story here is ..

- Please do your research properly , speak to people who have taken this route ....

- Weigh your options , you are not planning to move to MARS , it may not be suitable for kids so maybe husband comes first ?

- Other than consulting a MA please go to the Aust embassy and do your own fact finding , you'll be surprised at how much more info you will get (True Story)

- Remember you can always lodge your own visa , follow the checklist and speak to the Immi Officer for better clarifications and eligibility .Formalize it via email to keep track of conversation

- Last but not the least , think this through and do what your heart desire as Aussie is worth every bit of it ! , i know its rather easier said and done ... hence you can chose to stay where you are and forget about this whole thing :)

Hi , my wife and I are in NT after 2 years being in VIC . We got cheated by a MA of almost 10 k and had to leave Aust as soon as possible .. We packed our bags and left to home country ..All our plans of living the dream , starting a family went crashing down ... 2 years later we tried again , this time much research and preparations were done , we are back in NT under RSMS now .. waiting for our visa grant ... My point of relating our story here is ..

- Please do your research properly , speak to people who have taken this route ....

- Weigh your options , you are not planning to move to MARS , it may not be suitable for kids so maybe husband comes first ?

- Other than consulting a MA please go to the Aust embassy and do your own fact finding , you'll be surprised at how much more info you will get (True Story)

- Remember you can always lodge your own visa , follow the checklist and speak to the Immi Officer for better clarifications and eligibility .Formalize it via email to keep track of conversation

- Last but not the least , think this through and do what your heart desire as Aussie is worth every bit of it ! , i know its rather easier said and done ... hence you can chose to stay where you are and forget about this whole thing :)

Thanks for your reply. If we were to move to Karratha then it would be my husband going first and I would follow on with the kids and our 2 dogs in about 18 months when my daughter has finished her GCSEs. I really wanted to move to Perth so done a lot of research on there, I'm in the process of researching Karratha now. From what I've seen so far it's a case of you either love it or you hate it......my brother has lived there for years and loves it, would never move from there and my nephew who came back last year said we are crazy if we don't go.......we shall see what happens as the owner of the tavern is looking at his cv and is passing it to their migration agent.......so fingers crossed X

My brother mentioned it a while ago but then the owners had a bit of trouble financially

This tells you all you need to know. If you had to hitch your entire family's future to the financial health of one company - is this the company you'd choose?

This tells you all you need to know. If you had to hitch your entire family's future to the financial health of one company - is this the company you'd choose?

This is exactly the point. Sure, you can get out there on a 457 but if the employer isn't 100% financially secure, you can't be sure he'll be around when the time comes to apply for PR - especially as businesses in Karratha are doing it tough right now. So you're risking the 457 running out and you'll have no choice but to return.

Thanks for your reply. If we were to move to Karratha then it would be my husband going first and I would follow on with the kids and our 2 dogs in about 18 months when my daughter has finished her GCSEs. I really wanted to move to Perth so done a lot of research on there, I'm in the process of researching Karratha now. From what I've seen so far it's a case of you either love it or you hate it......my brother has lived there for years and loves it, would never move from there and my nephew who came back last year said we are crazy if we don't go.......we shall see what happens as the owner of the tavern is looking at his cv and is passing it to their migration agent.......so fingers crossed X

You would have to be absolutely desperate to split the family in this way. Financially it will be tough as you will have the costs of separation. Emotionally you are committing yourself to being a single parent for 18 months and losing the direct support of your partner.

Can it really be that much better in Karratha (or Perth) than where you are currently? Do you wonder perhaps whether you have all become fixated on a dream existence that probably does not exist? I really feel that you would be better off focussing your considerable energies on making your life in the UK as good as it can be rather than chasing a rainbow.

Archived