New year,new rules that affect Australia

Jacaranda

$1 for a stamp :dull: Paying that for a slooooow service.

Have to agree about the service it's diabolic and expensive. Takes longer to get a package from Sydney than it does for one from England. One more thing we recently paid $60 ( rip off price) to have our mail held at the post office while we were overseas. Came back to find two parcels wegded in between the front door and the screen no idea how long they'd been there no happy at all!!!

:arghh:

Guest Guest66881

Nothing crazy amongst that lot, some good news in some states the one i like is the banning of sunbeds in WA.:wink:

Have to agree about the service it's diabolic and expensive. Takes longer to get a package from Sydney than it does for one from England. One more thing we recently paid $60 ( rip off price) to have our mail held at the post office while we were overseas. Came back to find two parcels wegded in between the front door and the screen no idea how long they'd been there no happy at all!!!

:arghh:

You can add your complaint to Australia Post's FB page - along with a zillion others at the moment. :rolleyes:

They've tried to run a PR promotion at Christmas - send us a photo/video of someone excitedly opening a present delivered by AusPost. But it's majorly backfired a la Victorian Taxis PR disaster - in a deluge of angry Australia Post customers whose mail has arrived late, or in very damaged condition with items stolen, or hasn't arrived at all. I'm one of them. :rolleyes: Some poor PR person at Aus Post appears to be attempting to acknowledge each one. I've lodged a formal complaint form at the Post Office. I don't expect my problem will be rectified but at least they need to be told. And I certainly won't be using them again for anything more expensive than a birthday card.

Their service used to be very good but seems to have deteriorated rapidly in many areas in recent years.

An ever more difficult place to live in I'm afraid. Some off shore options are looking increasingly attractive. Such changes and price increases are but the beginning of course.

We were offered a $million grant for innovation but meant keeping IP in Australia

We turned it down and people ask why?

Corporate tax rate 30% versus 13% or 17% or 15%

You can add your complaint to Australia Post's FB page - along with a zillion others at the moment. :rolleyes:

They've tried to run a PR promotion at Christmas - send us a photo/video of someone excitedly opening a present delivered by AusPost. But it's majorly backfired a la Victorian Taxis PR disaster - in a deluge of angry Australia Post customers whose mail has arrived late, or in very damaged condition with items stolen, or hasn't arrived at all. I'm one of them. :rolleyes: Some poor PR person at Aus Post appears to be attempting to acknowledge each one. I've lodged a formal complaint form at the Post Office. I don't expect my problem will be rectified but at least they need to be told. And I certainly won't be using them again for anything more expensive than a birthday card.

Their service used to be very good but seems to have deteriorated rapidly in many areas in recent years.

Australia Post will be rolling out its innovative new delivery model in 2020

OK its the Pony Express except they are using old nags

But the cost of feed will be cheaper than petrol

Avoidance being different to tax evasion, the bigger you get the more tax becomes a concern

Remarkably similar all said and done. The result being to get away with as much as possible. One legally if a little grey, other grey likely illegal. Indeed the more one has the more greed sets in although corporates will suggest another term. Chevron being an example.

Remarkably similar all said and done. The result being to get away with as much as possible. One legally if a little grey, other grey likely illegal. Indeed the more one has the more greed sets in although corporates will suggest another term. Chevron being an example.

chalk and cheese

black and white

greed and stupidly. Would you expect individuals to take 25% of their income regardless of rebate allowances?

chalk and cheese

black and white

greed and stupidly. Would you expect individuals to take 25% of their income regardless of rebate allowances?

What I would expect would be a sane tax system. While few enjoy paying tax most enjoy the services they receive. We should not be deceived by foreign corporates wanting to profit while extracting massive wealth to foreign based share holders while minimalizing the benefits to the Australian people.

I think our mail service must be about the worst in the developed world- if it rains they don't bother, if its too hot they don't bother and we get our mail about 3-4pm in the afternoon on one of their 'good' days. It was better in the 1840s when delivery was by horses! Not to mention 'missing' items of course but that is a whole new topic.

What rubbish.

To think people could send a letter across Australia for 70c and have it arrive in 1 or 2 days.

The trouble is not enough people are using it. But for the price people have paid which is almost nothing they are getting a lot.

What I would expect would be a sane tax system. While few enjoy paying tax most enjoy the services they receive. We should not be deceived by foreign corporates wanting to profit while extracting massive wealth to foreign based share holders while minimalizing the benefits to the Australian people.

You'll never find a sane tax system except perhaps in a dictatorship. The problem is sane tax systems can be designed but then politicians start to play with them and they never stop. What begins as a simple system becomes more complicated every year, every rule has exceptions and every exception has exceptions.

Tax avoidance is perfectly legal, evasion is illegal. There is nothing 'grey' about it. I'd challange you to find anyone (corporation or individual) who pays more tax than they legally have to.

Tax avoidance is perfectly legal, evasion is illegal. There is nothing 'grey' about it. I'd challange you to find anyone (corporation or individual) who pays more tax than they legally have to.

While it's true that Tax avoidance is perfectly legal and evasion is illegal the greyness comes from determining which camp a particular strategy falls. In the UK HMRC had the bright idea of requiring all strategies to be given to them so they can determine if it's avoidance or evasion - but that just produces a whole new grey area regarding when is a strategy a strategy.

Guest Guest66881

A dollar for the postie to turn up at the same time most days with small parcels and or letters all with a jolly smile and a bit of banter, yeah well worth the increase:wink:

I think our mail service must be about the worst in the developed world- if it rains they don't bother, if its too hot they don't bother and we get our mail about 3-4pm in the afternoon on one of their 'good' days. It was better in the 1840s when delivery was by horses! Not to mention 'missing' items of course but that is a whole new topic.

Our delivery system in the u.k ,whether Tha be royal mail or private is 2nd to none .

We have a great little system in our street ,Tha the delivery drivers are now aware of .

There is always someone to sign and receive a parcel ,if us or our neighbours are out .

I think royal mail is a fantastic service .... BUT .....someone it the main sorting office ,probably Birmingham ,tampers with the mail .

We have had cards arrive from oz ,originally with money in ,no money ( I know putting money in cards is bloody naive in the extreme )

And I know post has been tampered with .

That's why passports are now delivered to the door and signed for ,and not run via royal mail.

Other than that royal mail is first rate .

I don't think I denied it was not legal. Grey never the less and I won't take up your challenge with regards to corporations and creative accountancy done among the well off. Actually numerous small 'players' do pay more than necessary out of ignorance and not having the same tax avoidance schemes at hand in order to minimise.

While it's true that Tax avoidance is perfectly legal and evasion is illegal the greyness comes from determining which camp a particular strategy falls. In the UK HMRC had the bright idea of requiring all strategies to be given to them so they can determine if it's avoidance or evasion - but that just produces a whole new grey area regarding when is a strategy a strategy.

Quite so.

On the subject of Australia Post.... perhaps if the CEO didn't draw such a stupidly insanely high salary there might not be such a problem.... I know he supposedly donates half of his salary to charity.... but which charity? It certainly isn't a charity that supports all of Australia.... just one that is very selective in its support.

The service that Australia Post offer has been declining for years.... I received mail today (4 January 2016) that had been posted in Queensland on 12 December... mail that had been posted in rural WA on 14 December.... mail that had been posted in UK on 2 December.... mail that had been posted in Canberra on 6 December..... Why does it take so long for this mail to arrive anywhere????? And what other mail is sitting somewhere that I don't actually receive?

You'll never find a sane tax system except perhaps in a dictatorship. The problem is sane tax systems can be designed but then politicians start to play with them and they never stop. What begins as a simple system becomes more complicated every year, every rule has exceptions and every exception has exceptions.

Firstly there needs to be the will. Corporates are dictating terms in their favour far too often resulting in what we have seen across the globe. Question is can it be reigned in?

Archived