The weather in Devonport Tasmania today

JockinTas

On 31/03/2021 at 10:15, Toots said:

Today:                            Min:       12C                            Max:       22C              Sunny

Thursday:                      Min:       13C                           Max:       23C               Sunny

Friday:                            Min:        13C                           Max:       21C              Sunny

Satuday:                        Min:        11C                           Max:       24C              Overcast

Sunday:                         Min:        11C                           Max:        19C              Showers

Monday:                        Min:        11C                           Max:        21C               Sunny

Tuesday:                       Min:        12C                           Max:        20C               Sunny

Wednesday:                 Min:        14C                           Max:        19C               Sunny

@TootsOh, our winter temperatures. How nice of you to put them up.👌

Cheers, Bobj.

2 hours ago, Bobj said:

@TootsOh, our winter temperatures. How nice of you to put them up.👌

Cheers, Bobj.

The temps have dropped over the past couple of days Bob.  Proper autumn weather now.  At the moment it is raining, windy and 16C.  My neighbours are packing up to go to Qld for the winter.  The do that every year.  I don't mind the wintry weather though.  😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toots said:

The temps have dropped over the past couple of days Bob.  Proper autumn weather now.  At the moment it is raining, windy and 16C.  My neighbours are packing up to go to Qld for the winter.  The do that every year.  I don't mind the wintry weather though.  😁

Saw that The Spirit Of Tasmania was making hard work going through the channel, due to the high winds.

Cheers, Bobj.

13 minutes ago, Bobj said:

Saw that The Spirit Of Tasmania was making hard work going through the channel, due to the high winds.

Cheers, Bobj.

I watched The  Spirit arriving nearly 3 hours late that day.  It wouldn't have been the most comfortable trip for the passengers.  😬  The swell on the Bass Strait was huge.  It was like a millpond the next day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After a few days of wild, wet weather - today is calm and the sun is shining.  I'm making the most of it before the wild weather returns.  Planted a couple of new shrubs (escallonia) at the front of the house, mucked out the horses' shelter and am just out for a long walk.  Yesterday the sea was turbulent with massive waves and today it's like a mill pond.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Nope, the next land mass is Antarctica remember 

That’s a good point. I remember trying to get into the Atlantic, french coast, mid summer, absolutely brutal. I sea swim and river swim here in the UK, but was hoping I may be able to enjoy warmer waters. The Tasman and Bass Strait should be warmer?

14 hours ago, Russ1976 said:

That’s a good point. I remember trying to get into the Atlantic, french coast, mid summer, absolutely brutal. I sea swim and river swim here in the UK, but was hoping I may be able to enjoy warmer waters. The Tasman and Bass Strait should be warmer?

I love Tasmania but you don't move here for the weather!  It's much colder than the rest of Australia. In fact, many people move to Tassie because they can't handle the relentless heat further north. 

When you think of Australian weather, you're probably thinking of Home & Away.   That's filmed in Sydney.   Toots lives in Devonport, which is over 900 km further south.  Wherever you live in the UK, try going 900km further north, and consider how different the weather would be!

Bass Strait is famous for being a wild, treacherous stretch of water at its worst. 

14 hours ago, Russ1976 said:

I learned to swim in the sea in Scotland so I don't mind bracing.  😁  Last summer at the Bluff Beach (Devonport) the sea temp averaged 18C.  That is about the same as most English beaches during summer.  The average sea temp at Bournemouth in August for example is the same.  https://www.seatemperature.org/europe/united-kingdom/bournemouth-august.htm

One thing that takes many people by surprise is how strong the sun is here in Tassie.  I've been Australia 40 years and the only time in my life I was sunburnt was in Scotland.  My shoulders and nose got the worst of it.  I've always been careful in the sun since then.

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I love Tasmania but you don't move here for the weather!  It's much colder than the rest of Australia. In fact, many people move to Tassie because they can't handle the relentless heat further north. 

When you think of Australian weather, you're probably thinking of Home & Away.   That's filmed in Sydney.   Toots lives in Devonport, which is over 900 km further south.  Wherever you live in the UK, try going 900km further north, and consider how different the weather would be!

Bass Strait is famous for being a wild, treacherous stretch of water at its worst. 

It is but there are lots of lovely safe little beaches too.  Go to them often during summer.  The east coast has miles of lovely sandy beaches and it is slightly warmer and drier there.  Here are a couple of the little beaches I go to on the north west coast.  They are further away from home.  The Bluff Beach is a few minutes walk from our house.

boat harbour2.jpg

hawley beach.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Toots said:

It is but there are lots of lovely safe little beaches too.  Go to them often during summer.  The east coast has miles of lovely sandy beaches and it is slightly warmer and drier there.  Here are a couple of the little beaches I go to on the north west coast.  They are further away from home.  The Bluff Beach is a few minutes walk from our house.

boat harbour2.jpg

This doesn't look like a beach more of a harbour for boats, except there aren't any boats?

12 minutes ago, can1983 said:

This doesn't look like a beach more of a harbour for boats, except there aren't any boats?

It's a little cove on one of the most popular beaches on the north west coast but funnily enough it's called Boat Harbour.  It's very sheltered and has some nice little cafes close by,  My favourite one is the Thistle Hut cafe.

thistle hut.jpg