How much should i leave with ££££

samsky

So im certain that this will vary from person to person but im trying to get a rough idea of what people had in the bank to start them off in their new life down under.

My personal situation family of 3 my little girl will be 6 at time of travel we have no house to sell so would be migrating with what funds we have in tje bank which we estimat to be around 10 to 12 grand.

This is after plane tickets to Melbourne and as i am traveling out there fingers crossed as an electrician i will need a mode of transportation accomodation a basic tool kit there are a few other biĺls but it would go on for too long .

Im curious if anybody knows if 10k is enough has anyone done a move to melbourne on a smaller budget and if anybody knows of anything i might have over looked as a huge financial burden in the first few months?

£10k will be very tight however the current exchange rate will help you a little.

We left with £30k plus a house to sell, investments and additional savings. All now gone after 18 months, house purchase etc. We still have savings but less than when first coming over. We have had one or two events to deal with but have not been unemployed so saving untouched by day to day living.

S

It will be very tight, for a rental you will have to put up 4 weeks rental as bond plus two weeks rent in advance what about furniture? You would have to buy a real cheap run around car, and there will be insurances on top. Your money will soon disappear so the biggest thing would be getting a job, as an electrician you will have to get all your local qualifications/tickets which take time and money (some electricians on this forum may help you with this).

Good luck

thankfully i am fantastically stingy so im hoping that will help. we have friends on my wife side who live in Melbourne and have apparently offered to put us up for a bit however im skeptical don't want to outstay our welcome sort of thing.

failing that i have access to extra money but i don't want to be the one who flew to Oz then went back hat in hand looking for a bail out.

im also aware that some people will go out and be in a mindset that they wont work in any other job except their chosen profession i on the other hand will happily scrub toilets by day and flip burgers at night if it means my money will get topped up and allow me to stay afloat whilestlooking for a job as an electrician.

thankfully i am fantastically stingy so im hoping that will help. we have friends on my wife side who live in Melbourne and have apparently offered to put us up for a bit however im skeptical don't want to outstay our welcome sort of thing.

failing that i have access to extra money but i don't want to be the one who flew to Oz then went back hat in hand looking for a bail out.

im also aware that some people will go out and be in a mindset that they wont work in any other job except their chosen profession i on the other hand will happily scrub toilets by day and flip burgers at night if it means my money will get topped up and allow me to stay afloat whilestlooking for a job as an electrician.

Then go for it!

We arrived in Melbourne a little over 3 months ago with about £12k/$25k but i had a job to go to... via a company transfer, so didn't miss out on a single paycheck.

Most of its gone now, but went on a rental, 2 cars (each about 8 years old) plus sofa/fridge/beds etc. We didn't scrimp and got stuff as we needed it. As long as you manage your budget and know whats going in and out you should be ok. We did work out what we would have in $$$ and worked out the big ticket items so we needed in advance (inc inital rental costs) so that we knew we would be ok

Personally, in the current economic climate, I would want more than that.

As a general rule, you need a minimum of enough for initial expenses - housing, bond, car and things. Then enough to live on for at LEAST 3 months and ideally 6 months. Do remember, that as an electrician your qualifications wont actually mean a lot. You will need to obtain your license. This varies by state, but generally it means you will need to undertake college courses - which can be expensive - and then work as a trade assistant for a period of time (a bit like an apprentice). As a result, it can be more challenging finding work.

Just make sure you wash your hands. ?

Seriously though many on this forum have arrived with similar amounts and seem to have made it. Sounds like you have just the right attitude and maybe a bit to fall back on if needed.

Archived