Growing old in Australia

itegoa

I was thinking that it's hard to fix it. You give it to yr family thinking they would never dupe you then..... Or something else happens.

I know why we have to pay? Because the Govt can't afford to do so. But then why can they afford to spend money on foreign aid or a hundred other things? And if they can't afford to pay for the nursing home care then maybe there will be time when they can't afford to pay for the NHS?

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

The sister of a close friend of mine lived at home as an adult so her parents signed the house over to her, to protect her in the event of anything happening to them. My friend had no problem with that - it was her sisters home, her mum then died and for what ever reason the sister decided she wanted to sell the house and kicked her dad out. To say family relationships have broken down is an understatement, her dad has since died too and he ended his days in a council flat.

My dad is now living in a house I own and we have an appointment with a solicitor next week to put a 'life lease' in place so that no matter what happens he has secure tenure. In Scotland at the moment property is not taken as an asset to pay for nursing care, nor is the first £15k of capital but of course that could change any time so although he wanted to buy the house off me I wasn't too keen of that idea - i plan to live in it myself again one day (& the stair lift, grab rails and wet room I've had installed might come in handy by then!)

I don't know that growing old in either Australia or any of the UK countries is a picnic, my dad is 84, cannot get out on his own and having lost my mam in may this year is lonely. I do my best but after a life time as a couple and with very limited mobility there is not a lot he can do. He'd be do better or worse off in Australia - in fact that was the rationale of him moving to Scotland - although he'd lived pretty much his entire life in the same town, he was completely trapped in his house, at least down the road from me there is some company and some social life - we were at the Silver Belles Christmas Show last weekend and I'll take him to the Craft Fayre at my sons school this weekend & maybe the Advent procession if it's not too cold.

My mum's cousin was a £10 pom, lived in Brisbane and retired to a golf complex on the Sunshine Coast (I think!), he certainly seems to have a quality of life that he wouldn't have had in Middlesbrough I have to say.

To the OP it's early days, if you love Australia you'll want to grow old there, if you don't then maybe you should move back before you're old! Wherever you live your children may live elsewhere - my son was adament he was moving back to scotland as soon as he was 18 - sobbed at 7 when i said he couldn't go to Uni in Scotland, stropped at 9 when we insisted he had an Australian passport now back in the UK at 12 he asked whether going to Uni in Australia was an option!!!! Give me strength :) He is also obsessed with Canada so god knows where he'll end up, at least I've broadened his mind and his options and that's good parenting in my books.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i have grown old in Australia i'm now 78 young.The older you get the worse it gets.It's one foot in the grave.Compared to life in the UK. After you retire,when you are working 12 hours a day like i was.You don't think about getting old.But the years roll by.I went back in 2013 for one year.Now i'm back,in the heat it's getting to both of us now,it's just too hot to go outside and work, in the garden.Back in the Uk ,like you we went out for a meal ,to pubs out in the country at weekends.or visited castles etc, we went down to the Working Mans Club,on a Wednesday and a Saturday night , to have a dance,or see some a Comedian,or singers in the entertainment room.It was great really.The weather was lousy most of the time.But now the sun, day in day out is worse.The humidity is a killer.There's just nothing to do here,And we live on the sunshine coast.The Beach has lost it's Attraction.But then it really depends on the individual some on here think it's paradise.If i had my life over.we would never have left the UK.It may seem strange to some,but you give up far too much up leaving the UK to come here.It's where your roots are.You will never belong here.A Old pom said to me when i arrived here, all them years ago.There's a line.Poms on one side.Aussie on the other side.Most Aussies are good,

But there is that devide.They always say.Home is where your heart is.We have 4 grown up kids,Three live in New Zealand. we have one daughter here.You have to Live Your own life,as your kids can just Marry and leave.

Like Tink said Zak. You've only one foot in the grave if that's how you choose to feel. Blame everything other than your own choices but although it may make you feel better in the short term, to blame others and the country, it certainly won't solve your problems. You went back to the Uk once and did nothing but whinge about the Uk and now you're back in Oz, you're back to whingeing about Oz

As for your comments on the climate. It's typical "excusability" for your whingeing. You accepted the climate for all those years that you thrived on this country, so what's with the whingeing now? For Christ's sake man, this country was built, and continues to be so, on the reliance of folk that work day out day in, in this heat/humidity.

You're not happy with your life, and I empathise with that, but you need a wake up call, as your past postings clearly illustrate that you're not likely to be happy wherever you are. Get a grip man. Life's too short to be blaming all and sundry, folk, climate, and country included, when it's pretty clear that (to me at least) that your unhappiness lies within you, and not your evironment.

Make the best of what life has to offer because you're a long time dead, and you certainly (I hope) wouldn't want to be considered "dead" when you're alive..................although your postings show that you pretty much give that impression...........and that's down to you, not your environment, otherwise you would have been long gone back to the UK all those years ago..............when the heat, humidity, pubs, and acceptance of migrants were, as they are now. If they were so intolerable then, (or were they?) why is it now, that you've only begun to complain and view the country you left, returned to, and left again, as a preference to being in a country that allowed you to raise your family and afford opportunities that you thought were lacking in the UK

Your whinges illustrate to me, not about how the country has changed , but more about how you have changed otherwise you wouldn't have been here so long, left, come back, and now show a desire to leave again. You're a living/breathing/whingeing example of how everything is to blame except self. "Self" being the operative word. The only time you post is not in order to help others but to harp on about how bad Oz is, then how bad the Uk is, and now you're back, how bad Oz is again. The epitomy of "whingeing Pom"

I hope you eventually find peace, but without a change of attitude, I doubt it.

Edited by Johndoe

I'd be happy to grow old here at this stage. I love living in Australia. Never doubted it was the right choice for us. 7 years in...who knows what the future holds. This evening my son pipes up (as we are leaving the showgrounds after fireworks) 'This is what life is all about!' He's 9. Lol.

What fireworks? (Could hear them from here) I expect his perspectives with regards to philosophical thoughts on life, will change radically in the near future.

What fireworks? (Could hear them from here) I expect his perspectives with regards to philosophical thoughts on life, will change radically in the near future.

What do you predict? He'll realise Perth is a backwater and fly the nest? He's a very intelligent boy, he knows what makes him feel good. Like his Mum. Good times, simple pleasures. When he makes his way...I will support him, wherever and however he does it...

What do you predict? He'll realise Perth is a backwater and fly the nest? He's a very intelligent boy, he knows what makes him feel good. Like his Mum. Good times, simple pleasures. When he makes his way...I will support him, wherever and however he does it...

If he's smart more than likely. Some do return further down the road to nest. Time will tell. Probably to our advantage we don't read the future.

If he's smart more than likely. Some do return further down the road to nest. Time will tell. Probably to our advantage we don't read the future.

If he's smart he'll follow his heart. I expect him to want to explore. Why wouldn't he? Though he says he will always live with me and I'm no 1. That'll do for now. World's his oyster....

]And I came across a bloke in Penang Malaysia' date=' a few years back, that was wanting to sell his Port Douglas unit and move to the island but could not find a realistic buyer.

[/color']

What was left of my family moved out, well into retirement age. May well be something in Mackay water who knows. (never been)Saying that still to return to FNQ to check out a few places as well.

Can quite understand, Port Douglas is very over rated. Sadly, the developers ballyhoo such places too much, putting false values on.

Cheers, Bobj.

Mi

As a former publican I doubt very much there will be many if any British pubs left. By the time you retire anyway.

I agree with the other posts it is going to feel strange to begin with and one week isn't long to settle. Not being with your family will be adding to it all. I am sure once you are all back together things will start to feel better. I know I wouldn't feel right without my husband and daughters even if I was still in my home town.

No pubs left

Friday night beers with the office crowd are the best! And every Friday is like NYE in the UK! If you want to get In with your work mates tell them you are thinking of going for NSW in Origin! (joke! Don't even think of admitting to liking anything about NSW!)

It's hard, very hard, when you are away from your family too.

I'm sitting in the pub on my own as I type this at 0045 hours but I'm not feeling lonely. I've got my phone and the newspaper and the music is good and I know the staff.

I'm the oldest person in the pub by 25 years. Is this how you see yourself at my age? 61. Where all the 61 yo people? Tucked up in bed? Married? Divorced?

37 years ago I'd justarrived in OZ myself. In WA. I arrived in Sydney on 7 Dec I think. I dont want to live anywhere else in the world. I went back for 12 years too, unplanned, but that's life.

Everyt Friday is like NYE....do you mean new years eve ... ...i dint think so

If he's smart he'll follow his heart. I expect him to want to explore. Why wouldn't he? Though he says he will always live with me and I'm no 1. That'll do for now. World's his oyster....

I remember when my two boys told me they would never leave home and that when they ever married they would live next door to us :laugh: My younger son has always been very protective of me and has always called my his wee Mum. A boy at school once told him that I was a Jock and a sweaty sock. For that he received a punch in the face. Of course my son then had to front up to the principal for his behaviour but he said it was worth it. Needless to say both of them left home years ago. One is in Ireland the other in Sydney.

I trust his Dad gets a look into the picture from time to time. Not to far down the popularity scale either. He surely comes in no lower than a no. 10?

I trust his Dad gets a look into the picture from time to time. Not to far down the popularity scale either. He surely comes in no lower than a no. 10?

I'm the best Mum in the world apparently. He tells me so it must be true. Dad also best Daddy in the world. Enjoying these years of popularity while they last. Though I fell out of favour with the daughter for a few years, she also puts me up there once again. Fickle kids.

I'm the best Mum in the world apparently. He tells me so it must be true. Dad also best Daddy in the world. Enjoying these years of popularity while they last. Though I fell out of favour with the daughter for a few years, she also puts me up there once again. Fickle kids.

Rather obviously fully versed into the art of wrapping the 'oldies 'around their fingers. Tell them what they want to hear, then get what you really want. Kids learn fast.

Have you experienced Friday night in Sydney pubs!?

The Strawbo is like NYE every morning after 0130 when all the lock out victims move from the City and The Cross.

Have you seen the u.k on new years eve ? ......

What a ridiculous statement to Sa that your local is like the u.k on Nye .....my local is packed every lunchtime and evening ....but we don't let off fireworks and chime the bells and have 400 people singing auld Lang syne on a Wednesday night after the quiz

Iam just getting the first hint that our youngest is getting ready to fly ,and when she flies ,she will really go for it .....she is only 15 ....but I know she will chase her dreams .

Iam just happy to have crammed a lot of travel memories into the 15 years ....its been bloody memorable

Have you seen the u.k on new years eve ? ......

What a ridiculous statement to Sa that your local is like the u.k on Nye .....my local is packed every lunchtime and evening ....but we don't let off fireworks and chime the bells and have 400 people singing auld Lang syne on a Wednesday night after the quiz

Packed every lunchtime and evening! You live in a wealthy community! But it's not just how packed it is, how "raucous" is it!? I think they do actually let off fireworks every Sat night in Darling Harbour.

I came over to Australia on a WHV back in the 90's. One of my most memorable experiences was a 10 day outback tour from Adelaide to Alice Springs (which is still going strong and I thoroughly recommend http://www.headingbush.com/outback-tours/adelaide-to-alice-springs-10-day-tour.html ). From memory (it was 20 years ago now!) I think it was at William Creek, population 6 we met a bloke living in absolutely the middle of nowhere and I asked him the question as a 23 year old city girl "aren't you lonely living here?", I always remember his reply "no, you can live in a big city surrounded by people and still be lonely". How true.

Edited by Jessica Berry

Hope it's a while (if ever) before he starts philsophising flag, he's 9. Some people manage to get through their whole life just looking to have a good time and find somewhere that suits them and don't feel the need to over analyse everything, trying to find the meaning of life.

Hope it's a while (if ever) before he starts philsophising flag, he's 9. Some people manage to get through their whole life just looking to have a good time and find somewhere that suits them and don't feel the need to over analyse everything, trying to find the meaning of life.

Some actually want to consider options in life as well, rather than put one foot after the other in daze. However much good fun you may consider that may be.