How expensive is making the move

Sam Summers

HI all .

I was just wondering how much making the move costs ,

I know everyone's case is different so really just looking at a rough guide ,

Our situation is currently renting so no house to sale , I am a plumber /gas fitter so looking to go down the route of a trade visa , my wife works but doesn't have a trade to speak of , and we have a 4 year old son , we have no pets so no problem with taking any to oz and apart from my tools and a few small other bits and pieces woukd not need to spend much on transportation of furniture etc.

I can be a bit of a worrier and the thought of running out of cash over there and still not having a job terrifies me ,so I've thought around 30000 pounds , my thinking is roughly 10000 to complete visas etc , then 20000 pound to take ,for setting up and to keep us going while looking for work ,

Is this a realistic figure ? I know the more you take is always going to be better but is there an minimum amount your expected to have in your bank after payment of visas and flights etc . ?

Any advice on this woukd be really apreciated

Thsnks guys

Personally I'd look at taking enough to see you through at least three months of renting, electricity, water, food, transport costs, and other sundries and unexpected expenses, without including your new salary. I think if you take £20k, like you say, that should be more than enough to take.

Consider opening an account in Aus first and transferring money into it so that you are ready to hit the ground running.

Landlords sometimes ask for up to 6 months rent up front, especially from new migrants, but as I believe the rental market in some areas is quite depressed you may strike lucky and be able to find a rental that you can just move into with just a month up front. That all depends on what area you're going to and some areas have a lot more demand than others.

Thank you for the advice guys .

I was hoping I was in the right ball park with 30 k as gonna struggle to get much more than that together , we're looking at brisbane to settle , I've heard that there is quite a bit of work there from the research I've done so far . Gonna get the ball rolling as think we're about done with the British weather for now .

Yes, you should be absolutely fine with that people definitely make a go of it with less although it depends if you have a job to come too.

One thing to look into is the 'tickets' needed in your trade to work in the state you plan to move to. I know people have come unstuck as they have been unable to get work based on UK qualifications/registration and have had to effectively work as an 'apprentice' for a while.

Ah that's good to know , I've heard oz is expensive so was thinking would it be enough , it's sounding promising ☺, I have heard that I would need to get certified in my trade once getting there so is something I'm definitely going to look into ,but at the same time I'm pretty happy doing anything in the beginning just to get established, and a change of work sometimes for a short time can be a good thing , I know I'm not going to earn as much as I do in the uk for a little bit while we settle ,but I think it's going to be worth it in the end. We are definitely looking forward to a lifestyle change and a fresh start so fingers crossed we will make it ☺ .

Ah that's good to know , I've heard oz is expensive so was thinking would it be enough , it's sounding promising ☺, I have heard that I would need to get certified in my trade once getting there so is something I'm definitely going to look into ,but at the same time I'm pretty happy doing anything in the beginning just to get established, and a change of work sometimes for a short time can be a good thing , I know I'm not going to earn as much as I do in the uk for a little bit while we settle ,but I think it's going to be worth it in the end. We are definitely looking forward to a lifestyle change and a fresh start so fingers crossed we will make it ☺ .

We found housing expensive but actually if you're renting now you might find it cheaper depending where you move to/from. You can probably live in an outer suburb of Brisbane where it would be cheaper as you could be working anywhere so don't need to be close to the CBD for commuting.

From my 8 years on this forum it seems that skilled tradespeople do very well in Australia.

Good luck!

Landlords sometimes ask for up to 6 months rent up front, especially from new migrants,

This isn't legal in VIC, NSW or QLD. Not sure about elsewhere. However there is nothing to stop the landlord considering favourably an application where several months rent is offered.

BB

This isn't legal in VIC, NSW or QLD. Not sure about elsewhere. However there is nothing to stop the landlord considering favourably an application where several months rent is offered.

BB

Yes I think you're right, we offered 3 months rent up front. We got the house but the 3 months rent wasn't taken. Just paid 2 weeks plus bond.

We offered and paid 6 months upfront. Glad we did it that way as it was an expense we could just 'write off' as it was gone and didn't have to think about it. It's cheaper if you go slightly further away from the CBD.

I haven't actually found it that much more expensive here to the UK (we did live in the Thames Valley commuter belt there though). You live within your means - we always get the supermarket own brand (did in the UK too), buy clothes/shoes from the cheaper shops (live in a vest top and shorts when not at work).

Good luck. Almost 15 months in Brisbane now and still love it like it's our first day!!

Hi there thanks for the advice, we're currently living in Birmingham so may find it a little more expensive in brisbane compared to where we are now , but it's the lifestyle were looking for more so than any financial gain so we're prepared to swap being a little worse off for a better quality of life , but who knows what kind of work I will fall into once we get there , how did you find getting a job ? I've been told different story's , some have gotten a job within the 1st week of arriving ,others have really struggled , I guess for us at the moment it's the fear of the great unknown lol

Landlords sometimes ask for up to 6 months rent up front, especially from new migrants

If an advance is requested then walk away. We volunteered a 3 month advance and was told in Queensland this is illegal as the agent is not a bank and can not guarantee the security of your money. Make sure you are friendly to your agent as they are happy to help and got us into our property before it hit the market.

Regarding your costs, I would suggest it maybe a little tough with say $500/week rent, cost of buying a car and living costs including utilities. Your $20,000 should be fine if searching for work and successful within 3 months.

Best set of luck with it all and maybe look to complete your application without an agent and even look for sponsored visa option.

S

what kind of work do you do? If there is work around then 20K would be enough, but if there isn't much work around than you could be cutting it fine. Just don't go a buy an expensive car, eat out 5 times a week and spend it quickly. Live like you don't have a job and it'll all come together. Thats one of the mistakes people make, they have some money in the bank and blow it thinking they'll have a job within a month or 2. Check out how long it takes to get your certificates for work, that might take a month or 2, possibly longer..

best of luck

I am a plumber and gas safe registered here in the uk , so I am hoping there will be work out there for me in those trades , but I have always been happy to muck in and do other kinds of jobs over the years if needed so definitely not a job snob in thst sense lol , I wouldn't have a problem picking up a paint brush or labouring on a brick layer if that's what I needed to do at the start , it's a massive financial commit for the wife and me so it's almost a case of it has to work and failure is not an option , we're both graters so really hope it will be a desission we don't regret , good heads up on the 6 months up front there and will bear it in mind if we make it over

One thing you need to consider is that your occupation is a licensed trade here.

Licensing requirements vary by state, however, you will not be regarded as qualified in your trade. Generally licenses will require you to work as a trade assistant for a while and attend college. As a result, some do find it harder to find work for licensed trades. I would start researching the requirements for QLD and college costs

If an advance is requested then walk away. We volunteered a 3 month advance and was told in Queensland this is illegal as the agent is not a bank and can not guarantee the security of your money. Make sure you are friendly to your agent as they are happy to help and got us into our property before it hit the market.

Regarding your costs, I would suggest it maybe a little tough with say $500/week rent, cost of buying a car and living costs including utilities. Your $20,000 should be fine if searching for work and successful within 3 months.

Best set of luck with it all and maybe look to complete your application without an agent and even look for sponsored visa option.

S

I did the same when I was asked for 6 months up front (2007). I laughed and told him where to stick it, he (the landlord) called me up and said that he'd accept a month up front, but I still walked away because of his cheek.

It really depends where you go. In all honesty, one area can be a buyers market and then five minutes down the road a landlord can't even give a property away. The key is to have a bit of patience and be prepared to snap a property up if you like it. Likewise, be even more prepared to turn on your heels and walk.

I am a plumber and gas safe registered here in the uk , so I am hoping there will be work out there for me in those trades , but I have always been happy to muck in and do other kinds of jobs over the years if needed so definitely not a job snob in thst sense lol , I wouldn't have a problem picking up a paint brush or labouring on a brick layer if that's what I needed to do at the start , it's a massive financial commit for the wife and me so it's almost a case of it has to work and failure is not an option , we're both graters so really hope it will be a desission we don't regret , good heads up on the 6 months up front there and will bear it in mind if we make it over

The main point I would make is that you fully understand and embrace the reasons why you are doing the move. A 'better life' is not a given and I would suggest that if you have what it takes to succeed here you would succeed in the UK too. You have several key advantages in the UK too such as trade qualifications already accepted, job networks, friends and relatives (presumably), and potentially £30,000 which would be a decent deposit for a house rather than spent in emigrating.

Queensland is a totally different lifestyle to England. I am loving it but in my mid 50s and contemplating taking my pension early and retiring rather than working here; not sure that it would have suited me 20 years ago unless I had lived close or in the city. Tradies often set off for work around 6am and 9pm is considered really late. With your budget and likely earnings initially it will likely mean that you will live in a modest unit some distance from the city. Two cars become essential pretty quickly as while you are out working or looking for work your OH can be stuck all day every day with a 4 year old and nobody to talk to (remember that friends in UK are asleep so skyping is limited to early mornings or evenings generally at the weekend). isolation does affect many here particularly in the early months.

Your low rent property is unlikely to have much in the way of air-conditioning either for the hot, steamy summer months and the nights in winter can be colder than you would expect particularly in poorly insulated homes with no heating.

If you are bringing very little with you bear in mind that furnished lets are almost unheard of here so you can end up spending far more than you might have expected in the early months.

I heartily recommend reading the 'Moving back to the UK' threads to get an idea why some feel the need to return. If those reasons resonate with you then you probably should not do this. If, like me, you find that you find little connection to those reasons then give it a go.

The main point I would make is that you fully understand and embrace the reasons why you are doing the move. A 'better life' is not a given and I would suggest that if you have what it takes to succeed here you would succeed in the UK too. You have several key advantages in the UK too such as trade qualifications already accepted, job networks, friends and relatives (presumably), and potentially £30,000 which would be a decent deposit for a house rather than spent in emigrating.

Queensland is a totally different lifestyle to England. I am loving it but in my mid 50s and contemplating taking my pension early and retiring rather than working here; not sure that it would have suited me 20 years ago unless I had lived close or in the city. Tradies often set off for work around 6am and 9pm is considered really late. With your budget and likely earnings initially it will likely mean that you will live in a modest unit some distance from the city. Two cars become essential pretty quickly as while you are out working or looking for work your OH can be stuck all day every day with a 4 year old and nobody to talk to (remember that friends in UK are asleep so skyping is limited to early mornings or evenings generally at the weekend). isolation does affect many here particularly in the early months.

Your low rent property is unlikely to have much in the way of air-conditioning either for the hot, steamy summer months and the nights in winter can be colder than you would expect particularly in poorly insulated homes with no heating.

If you are bringing very little with you bear in mind that furnished lets are almost unheard of here so you can end up spending far more than you might have expected in the early months.

I heartily recommend reading the 'Moving back to the UK' threads to get an idea why some feel the need to return. If those reasons resonate with you then you probably should not do this. If, like me, you find that you find little connection to those reasons then give it a go.

Hi mate

Thank you for giving a view from the other side , there are always two sides good and bad, for myself it's been a constent itch that just won't go away, for over ten years now and to be honest came really close to starting the ball rolling a couple of years ago , but did exactly what you mentioned ,and instead of reading all the good stuff about oz I actually came on this site and did read up on the coming back to the uk stuff to try and find what was the main cause of Brits returning back , sure enough it did make me question the whole move and ultimately put me off going . For us our circumstances have changed a bit since then , my wife is a thai national so has no family here (and for her Thailand is closer in oz) so that's all here problems solved in one go lol ,most of my family now do live abroad or have retired and spend a huge amount of time away , my sis at the moment is in oz backpacking and absolutely loves it there and has said her intention is to try and stay in oz indefinitely, the biggest thing for me is weather , I love the uk in the summer and am more than content ,I really struggle with the rest of the seasons , the dull days and overcast makes me bloody miserable, it's not nice spending half a year down in the dumps , so as much as I am a little nervous about the whole thing I do think we need to try , my thoughts are if it doesn't work out we've lost money , but we can always make more money , I think it's got to the point where I need to stop talking about it and do it [emoji1]

Hi mate

Thank you for giving a view from the other side , there are always two sides good and bad, for myself it's been a constent itch that just won't go away, for over ten years now and to be honest came really close to starting the ball rolling a couple of years ago , but did exactly what you mentioned ,and instead of reading all the good stuff about oz I actually came on this site and did read up on the coming back to the uk stuff to try and find what was the main cause of Brits returning back , sure enough it did make me question the whole move and ultimately put me off going . For us our circumstances have changed a bit since then , my wife is a thai national so has no family here (and for her Thailand is closer in oz) so that's all here problems solved in one go lol ,most of my family now do live abroad or have retired and spend a huge amount of time away , my sis at the moment is in oz backpacking and absolutely loves it there and has said her intention is to try and stay in oz indefinitely, the biggest thing for me is weather , I love the uk in the summer and am more than content ,I really struggle with the rest of the seasons , the dull days and overcast makes me bloody miserable, it's not nice spending half a year down in the dumps , so as much as I am a little nervous about the whole thing I do think we need to try , my thoughts are if it doesn't work out we've lost money , but we can always make more money , I think it's got to the point where I need to stop talking about it and do it [emoji1]

Good on ya then. It's true that once that thought of emigrating here starts to germinate in your head there is no getting rid of it. Personally I am loving the weather here. 55 years I lived in England and I always felt depressed in October/November.............not now though.

Stay on PIO and share your journey (the ups and downs of it all) and best of luck with it all.

Good on ya then. It's true that once that thought of emigrating here starts to germinate in your head there is no getting rid of it. Personally I am loving the weather here. 55 years I lived in England and I always felt depressed in October/November.............not now though.

Stay on PIO and share your journey (the ups and downs of it all) and best of luck with it all.

Thanks matey

you are right its like sn itch you cant scratch , we need to do it . Mabey see you for a beer . All the best mate

Hi mate

Its good to do research and realise any pitfalls, but IMO ive found life on PIO v different to life in the actual world. I see far more success stories than I do people that have returned for whatever reason.

For everyone person who returns, there are hundreds who are loving their new life. I nearly got put off by the doom n gloom over 457 visas, but for us and thousands of others, its been a great way to get a foothold in the door. We just took precautions beforehand.

If you always look at the negatives then I doubt it will work. Make your own mind up, come with an open mind, be prepared to start from scratch. Will take some time to get over some hurdles, but if your in it to make it work then you will.

That's some good advice , it's what happened last time , I actually got put off by people who tbf were being honest and just giving me there opinion ,but there were quite a few and in the end put me off , the thought of going has never left me though so this time around am in a better frame of mind and are really looking forward to make a go of it

Archived