My Experience of Perth (and Australia) Before I Depart

Progressive

Hi there Progressive. Where abouts are you living in the UK? I'm looking to interview a couple or family for a story I'm doing on British expats returning to the UK to live. Just wondering if you could possibly help me out? Will be in London on Saturday the 25th of June.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same urge to go to Perth. Went for a two week holiday and couldn't wait to leave. Was bored after two weeks!! There was nothing really there that I could see was worth the move from the UK.

I don't really think Perth itself is much of a holiday location. The only value would be to travel outside of city limits. Be that down south or up north.

The city is called a ' lifestyle' type of place, which in itself brings to mind a particular style of living only suitable for some many would indeed find it bland and somewhat dull. The cost being rather obscene as well for what it actually amounts to.

We have entertained many dozens of people from different counties over the years and while most are too polite to voice strong negatives, I guess the common view being it too far out of the mainstream world to be of interest longer term. Holidays are different of course from living but again many if not most from early days in Perth have since moved on for varied reasons.

Speaking frankly, your logic is flawed in my opinion. Realistically, you would be bored in a traditional sense in most cities after two weeks. Going on holiday somewhere and living somewhere is (obviously) a very different experience. With that said, it does heavily depend on your interests. I would agree (as mentioned in my original post) that after a couple of years we felt like Perth was running out of thing to offer us, but even then it was head and shoulders above our place of origin and life was very comfortable.

Perth may not be the most exciting city in the world, or even in Australia, but it is definitely one of the most liveable cities in the world. How liveable a city is should come ahead of how exciting a city is when considering where to settle in my opinion. I think Hanoi, Hong Kong and Singapore are fantastic cities, which would keep me extremely entertained for months and months. I wouldn’t like to live in any of them though.

Well Singapore is constantly ranked as the favourite ex pat city in this part of the world. KL was up there as well a few years back. Perth is still readjusting from the excessive costs inflicted on it by the mining boom.

Perth as noted cuts the mustard with some while deadly dull and over priced for others. The exit out of Perth has been substantial which suggests most were here for the bucks rather than other suggested possible reasons.

Well Singapore is constantly ranked as the favourite ex pat city in this part of the world..
e

That's so funny !!! Perth is nowhere near Singapore .....Singapore is 5 hours flight away !!!! ,

When the tedium of suburbia and the whole retirement vibe of Perth gets too much, catch a plane to Singapore to get a taste of civilisation again and some great local food. Then come back to the sleepy retirement town and save up for the next trip to Singapore.

e

That's so funny !!! Perth is nowhere near Singapore .....Singapore is 5 hours flight away !!!! ,

When the tedium of suburbia and the whole retirement vibe of Perth gets too much, catch a plane to Singapore to get a taste of civilisation again and some great local food. Then come back to the sleepy retirement town and save up for the next trip to Singapore.

Well in Perth terms it is a neighbour. Some may desire a slightly more ' active' retirement shall we say than is readily available or indeed affordable in Perth.

Hi there Progressive. Where abouts are you living in the UK? I'm looking to interview a couple or family for a story I'm doing on British expats returning to the UK to live. Just wondering if you could possibly help me out? Will be in London on Saturday the 25th of June.

Strictly speaking I didn't return to UK, but somewhere else in Europe. Happy to contribute to your project though. PM me if you want to discuss further.

e

Using your same logic, Sydney isn't in the same part of the world as Singapore either. I guess those Perth folk don't get to visit Sydney very often...

• 3 weeks later...
Whilst I no longer have a dog in the 'Perth vs. Perth' fight, there are plenty of things worth doing beyond a couple of weeks, with something to suit everyone. Here are a very mixed handful of examples which could keep you busy throughout the year. Some (most) I highly enjoyed, others less so, but all certainly good Perth experiences to tick off and things you can easily cycle monthly:

• Catch a (free) weekly Sunday evening Jazz concert one of the Subiaco / Shenton Parks over the summer months with a bottle of wine and cheese board.

• Cycle the (60km+) perfectly smooth cycle paths around the Swan River in shorts and t-shirt, for over nine months of the year.

• Enjoy a pizza and a beer at Little Creatures in Fremantle.

• Bar crawl the quirky laneway bars of the CBD and Northbridge. Could easily name 20+.

• Afternoon tea at The Duxton or C Restaurant.

• Throw down a blanket at Kings Park and enjoy the sunset over the city.

• Rooftop yoga at 6.00am as the sun comes up at the rooftop cinema venue.

• Eat amazing Vietnamese, Thai or Japanese cuisine.

• Swan Valley wine tour.

• Various outdoor cinemas.

• Go for a hike in the bush around Kalamunda.

• Research the history of WA with the extensive resources at Perth library.

• Volunteer a few spare hours to the amazing selection of charities based in Perth.

• Beaufort Street, Angove Street, Mt. Hawthorn festivals.

• Watch a top-flight AFL / cricket / basketball / soccer match.

• Go to a comedy night at The Astor in Mt. Lawley.

• Spend an afternoon in the fantastic Art Gallery of WA.

• Go to the ballet at Her Majesty’s Theatre.

• Breakfast and coffee at one of over 100 amazing local cafes.

… all in a safe, friendly and respectful environment. I am happy to give recommendations for any of the above!

As for the snakes, I saw one (dead) snake and about four redbacks over my four years in Perth. You seriously have more chance of injured by a shopping trolley crashing into you in Woolworths than by being bitten by a snake. Furthermore, there is anti-venom for all snakes in Australia now I believe, so the chances of actually being seriously hurt are extremely slim, unless you have an pre-existing serious health issue. It definitely doesn’t warrant not using the beaches in WA.

It sounds like your mind was already made up by that point and you were thinking with ‘confirmation bias’, which is human nature and which we are all guilty of. I know I am at times.

Genuine question, do you work for the Aussie tourist board?

Well in all fairness it is the poster's own point of view. Some folk love Australia and others don't. I take you don't? For some the whole migration thing works out. For others it doesn't.

Well in all fairness it is the poster's own point of view. Some folk love Australia and others don't. I take you don't? For some the whole migration thing works out. For others it doesn't.

Actually one can be critical of Australia and not be accused of disliking it. In fact there is a very strong argument against being passive and more assertive with regards to what is wrong.

Actually one can be critical of Australia and not be accused of disliking it. In fact there is a very strong argument against being passive and more assertive with regards to what is wrong.

Don't worry Flag, there are plenty of things here I criticise but member Progressive is only giving us his views of life here. No need for sarky comments to follow on.

Haha. Far from it, though perhaps I should look into a career change.

As mentioned by others, just my honest opinions to try and inform potential candidates for moving. I naturally did my research before moving out and at times struggled to find any heavily unbiased opinions.

My descriptions are generally positive, though there are some negatives listed in initial post on the thread. I'm far from a blinkered pom though. The proof is in the pudding; I left Australia and still think I definitely made the right decision for me!

Thanks for your interest.

Haha. Far from it, though perhaps I should look into a career change.

As mentioned by others, just my honest opinions to try and inform potential candidates for moving. I naturally did my research before moving out and at times struggled to find any heavily unbiased opinions.

My descriptions are generally positive, though there are some negatives listed in initial post on the thread. I'm far from a blinkered pom though. The proof is in the pudding; I left Australia and still think I definitely made the right decision for me!

Thanks for your interest.

Only messing about mate, as it happens I agree with a lot of your posts having lived in Perth as well (albeit not as long).

Good post. I love Perth but one thing that's puzzled me I that I'm paying full whack for my hostel in middle off winter when it's dead yet the one I'm going to in broome is $5 cheaper even though it's peak season lol. I'll never get tired of the view from south perth though, I got some really good pictures last night

Good post. I love Perth but one thing that's puzzled me I that I'm paying full whack for my hostel in middle off winter when it's dead yet the one I'm going to in broome is $5 cheaper even though it's peak season lol. I'll never get tired of the view from south perth though, I got some really good pictures last night

It's the school holidays - so they'll charge premium rates

Just arrived in perth and having rollacoaster of emotions.. one minute the sun is shining and it looks so beautiful, clean, open spaces and no traffic and then the next it looks more dead, quite and boring! I am all over the place with how I feel, I expect to be excited and thrilled to be here but have a feeling of dread about realistically being able to live here??! Someone said on a different post about Perth that its easier to live in UK if a bit poorer than Perth and I didn't understand that but now I do.. its so so expensive here and to be in an area where its doesn't feel bland and boring is out of most peoples price range unless you don't mind living in a shack.. to get something else means going way out into suburbia which fills me with dread as this I cannot relate to here and can not visualise life out 'there'. My partner thinks I am mental and talks of suburbia in UK - we had a nice house and it was only 4 miles from the city, here its 20-30min drive at least. I am confused about what lifestyle and quality of life in Perth is really like if you don't earn lots of money? The culture seems odd now its the bust period and the city centre seems dead and lifeless, my partner again thinks nah its not busy and crowded but there is a fine line. What is really going on with the economy here and are house prices going to come down? I hope so... I am also still jet lagged! lol..

Just arrived in perth and having rollacoaster of emotions.. one minute the sun is shining and it looks so beautiful, clean, open spaces and no traffic and then the next it looks more dead, quite and boring! I am all over the place with how I feel, I expect to be excited and thrilled to be here but have a feeling of dread about realistically being able to live here??! Someone said on a different post about Perth that its easier to live in UK if a bit poorer than Perth and I didn't understand that but now I do.. its so so expensive here and to be in an area where its doesn't feel bland and boring is out of most peoples price range unless you don't mind living in a shack.. to get something else means going way out into suburbia which fills me with dread as this I cannot relate to here and can not visualise life out 'there'. My partner thinks I am mental and talks of suburbia in UK - we had a nice house and it was only 4 miles from the city, here its 20-30min drive at least. I am confused about what lifestyle and quality of life in Perth is really like if you don't earn lots of money? The culture seems odd now its the bust period and the city centre seems dead and lifeless, my partner again thinks nah its not busy and crowded but there is a fine line. What is really going on with the economy here and are house prices going to come down? I hope so... I am also still jet lagged! lol..

Hope you feel better after you get over the jetlag! I'm sure you must have had a modicum of an idea what Perth is like after reading all the negative posts about that city on this forum - plenty of them. The end of the mining boom has bound to have had some sort of effect on Perth.

Whoa! Hold your horses.

Sounds like all of the above is a surprise?

Give it a while. Small steps. Try to stop comparing....

B