My Experience of Perth (and Australia) Before I Depart

Progressive

Just arrived in perth and having rollacoaster of emotions.. one minute the sun is shining and it looks so beautiful, clean, open spaces and no traffic and then the next it looks more dead, quite and boring! I am all over the place with how I feel, I expect to be excited and thrilled to be here but have a feeling of dread about realistically being able to live here??! Someone said on a different post about Perth that its easier to live in UK if a bit poorer than Perth and I didn't understand that but now I do.. its so so expensive here and to be in an area where its doesn't feel bland and boring is out of most peoples price range unless you don't mind living in a shack.. to get something else means going way out into suburbia which fills me with dread as this I cannot relate to here and can not visualise life out 'there'. My partner thinks I am mental and talks of suburbia in UK - we had a nice house and it was only 4 miles from the city, here its 20-30min drive at least. I am confused about what lifestyle and quality of life in Perth is really like if you don't earn lots of money? The culture seems odd now its the bust period and the city centre seems dead and lifeless, my partner again thinks nah its not busy and crowded but there is a fine line. What is really going on with the economy here and are house prices going to come down? I hope so... I am also still jet lagged! lol..

Perth is a Marmite sort of place really, I wouldn't live there if you paid me but others seem to like it. It's just too isolated for me but again I suppose others like the isolation. House prices SHOULD come down but that doesn't mean they will, lots of people will be very reluctant to lose money on their house or not to make the profit they hoped for. I hope it goes well for you.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think I did 'know this stuff' but its not the same when you are reading from afar as you feel like you want to be positive and everyone has different outlooks.. also we got to a point where we had to decide where to go and it was hard to decide.. Sydney is ultimately more expensive and its more hectic so we didn't think we could handle that. Melbourne is colder as mentioned by loads of people.. Perth does tick alot of boxes and is great on paper and in pictures but is it really that easy to adjust to when you actually get here? Looking to hear from others who have felt the same :)

yeah we are hearing that its a buyers market and a great time to buy and maybe more so in 6 months we are doing our research and we will scope the areas go along to auctions and open houses to get a feel. We have made contacts with some people, someone who is in real estate also and we will get more familiar with it as time goes on but its that feeling of wanting to get on and establish a life that we have waited for 2 odd years to come to and put everything on hold in UK to get somewhere and find its still so expensive.. We thought the downturn would have had more of an effect and the properties we saw online already after a few days we realise they are in areas that you are unlikely to want to live in... I am porb feeling jet lagged tired, homesick and exhausted from everything we have just done and its hard to see clearly your options..

Think I did 'know this stuff' but its not the same when you are reading from afar as you feel like you want to be positive and everyone has different outlooks.. also we got to a point where we had to decide where to go and it was hard to decide.. Sydney is ultimately more expensive and its more hectic so we didn't think we could handle that. Melbourne is colder as mentioned by loads of people.. Perth does tick alot of boxes and is great on paper and in pictures but is it really that easy to adjust to when you actually get here? Looking to hear from others who have felt the same :)

It's quite normal when caught up in the excitement to read negatives and gloss over them 'yeah but that won't happen to us' sort of thing. Your brain almost doesn't want you to take in the negatives. If you can handle the isolation I'm sure you will be fine. Everywhere takes time to get used to. You just have to shop smart, economise and keep costs down but yes it is an expensive place to live.

I think your right, I read them and didn't try to gloss over them and would bring them up with my partner but he is very much so the glass is half full kinda guy and by god he is great in most things but sometimes he will not just see the reality and I can't make him look at the facts and see what we might be up against, I may be feeling frustrated that I knew this but kinda went along with him to Perth (not australia I wanted to come) now we are here I am panicking ...

Perth is a odd place as some love it and others hate it.

We moved back to the UK from Perth in March after 8 years there. Personally, I do find the city soulless and generally lacking and suburbia in any country can be like living in a waiting room. But, yes, one of the issues Perth has it is so spread out, meaning the city for many suburbs is a long way out.

As for house prices, it is always hard to say. We have just sold our place last week after putting it on the market in February. We took a very big hit in its value. If they fall more, then it will be because the economy struggles more / goes down more. Though I think many people have so much debt, they simply cant afford to sell.

Good post. I love Perth but one thing that's puzzled me I that I'm paying full whack for my hostel in middle off winter when it's dead yet the one I'm going to in broome is $5 cheaper even though it's peak season lol. I'll never get tired of the view from south perth though, I got some really good pictures last night

Thought you were in Melbourne?? Don't tell me back here again.

I think your right, I read them and didn't try to gloss over them and would bring them up with my partner but he is very much so the glass is half full kinda guy and by god he is great in most things but sometimes he will not just see the reality and I can't make him look at the facts and see what we might be up against, I may be feeling frustrated that I knew this but kinda went along with him to Perth (not australia I wanted to come) now we are here I am panicking ...

Well rents are cheaper than the main east coast cities if that is any consolation. Perth is darn expensive though for going out and doing things people normally do. More so that Melbourne or Sydney.

It is a quiet type place. I live close to the city so about as good as it gets in the way of a vibe. I think you'll need to convince your partner more profitable roads lead east. Are you from Norwich? I know it quite well, or knew it well haven't been there for over twenty years. Once lived close to the Barracks. (up St Kitts Hill)