Queensland Must Do's?

HappyHeart

South bank is in great shape. Was there earlier this week,the restaurant and bar selection is better than ever. Great big new beer garden by the beach part. Nice herb garden where you can take your own home. Art museums and shows, there really is something for everyone. I don't think Sydney or Melbourne even have a better comparable area. Brisbane would be a lot worse off without it.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Queensland is the most decentralised state I think. Though having the Gold And Sunny coasts counted separately helps in that of course.

Brisbane 2.2m, Gold Coast 614,000, Sunshine Coast 300,000, Townsville 178,000, Cairns 150,000, Toowoomba 113,000, Mackay 85,000, Rocky 80,000, Bundy 70,000, Hervey Bay 50,000, Gladstone 50,000, Byron Bay 30,000 ;)

Edited by fish.01

I think Elizabeth Quay will be more similar to Queens Wharf rather than Southbank. Southbank has decades on both of them and many more drawcards. Maybe in 20 years Eliabeth Quay will start to look more Southbank like.

Quite probably right. Or Darling Harbour in parts. I hope they make a fair fist of it. Unlike The Clock Tower built in the late 90's, beside all the development. It should have been double the size. Actually I was there yesterday celebrating Devali , The Indian Light Festival (very good) and noticed how the work is progressing. It will certainly change the centre of Perth.

Quite probably right. Or Darling Harbour in parts. I hope they make a fair fist of it. Unlike The Clock Tower built in the late 90's, beside all the development. It should have been double the size. Actually I was there yesterday celebrating Devali , The Indian Light Festival (very good) and noticed how the work is progressing. It will certainly change the centre of Perth.

It's taking forever!!!! Looks dreadful at the moment and impacts people using the barrack st jetty. I'm looking for and to seeing it as its a beautiful part of Perth and was in dire need of redevelopment

QLD is less one city focused that WA. More decentralised in other words. Still a huge state, but I'd agree more places to visit and more to do. Perth's Elisabeth Quay is or will be our answer to Brisbane's Southbank. Let's see how they compare.

We have nothing on the scale to match Gold Coast or Surfers. What would be WA's equivalent? Mandurah? Hardly a comparison when you think about it. The Kimberley versus FNQ ? Hard call. More diversity in FNQ I'd suggest.

Beaches no match for South West of WA of course but the geography is my favourite in Australia.

Yes, am starting to see that. What if we made a huge mistake coming to Perth first. OMG. Just kidding. I know what you mean though. I wonder how much busier it is than Perth as the quietness of here is part of the appeal for us. We like deserted beaches and lonely walks!

It's taking forever!!!! Looks dreadful at the moment and impacts people using the barrack st jetty. I'm looking for and to seeing it as its a beautiful part of Perth and was in dire need of redevelopment

I suspect prices will determine the clientele but yes it will be a welcome addition to the Perth skyline and urban space. You are correct the area has long been neglected, incredible considering the location. What is happening in part of course, is a reversal to the reclamation of land done many decades ago.

To bring the river back close to the CBD will further enhance an increasingly improving city centre. I'm back down there later this afternoon to catch the final Festival of Light evening. Very impressive last night. How our Indian population has grown in recent years.

Edited by flag of convenience

Sounds good. Would be there if lived closer. Yes it is an incredible location. We commented years ago how underused such a fabulous location it was. A real tourist drawcard, we always took visitors there and very nice too. Catch ferry across to South perth but a nightmare to negotiate now and to park. Not very user friendly at the moment more so for physically challenged. Shame would have liked to take my Dad there.

• 2 weeks later...
Why is it double the price to fly from Cairns to Sunshine Coast than it is to fly Cairns to Brisbane? Is it better to drive from Brisbane to Sunshine Coast?

As far as I know you can't fly direct from cairns to the Sunshine Coast?

Sorry if I am wrong, might be a new service?

Wow just checked seems you can now very sorry I was wrong

Edited by ramot

Honestly it were me and I had only 10 days to holiday in Queensland say around September/October I would probably choose to base myself in Cairns. Take a trip out to snorkel or scuba, take the train or cable car to Kurunda (and return by the opposite mode of transport). Spend a couple of days in the Atherton Tablelands (beautiful) and a couple of days up at Port Douglas, take a trip up to Cape Tribulation perhaps.

You could make a whole other holiday basing yourself in Brisbane and some points in between; I could make a case for that too but my first personal choice for a holiday at that time of year would be Cairns.

Where would you recommend to stay?

Where would you recommend to stay?

Well, we stayed here http://www.big4.com.au/caravan-parks/qld/tropical-north/cairns-coconut-caravan-resort staying in a spa cabin which was great but then we have a daughter so facilities for kids loomed large and it was our one concession to her really on our road trip. Would not recommend this one if you don't have children (sorry can't remember whether you do or don't HH).

We also stayed in an eco lodge at http://www.woodlandscp.com.au/accommodation?gclid=COKF9tijsskCFVgnvQodeoUHLw which was very good. (We joined Big4 and got some discounts but did not stay exclusively at their resorts; some get mixed reviews but these two were top drawer in my opinion).

Well, we stayed here http://www.big4.com.au/caravan-parks/qld/tropical-north/cairns-coconut-caravan-resort staying in a spa cabin which was great but then we have a daughter so facilities for kids loomed large and it was our one concession to her really on our road trip. Would not recommend this one if you don't have children (sorry can't remember whether you do or don't HH).

We also stayed in an eco lodge at http://www.woodlandscp.com.au/accommodation?gclid=COKF9tijsskCFVgnvQodeoUHLw which was very good. (We joined Big4 and got some discounts but did not stay exclusively at their resorts; some get mixed reviews but these two were top drawer in my opinion).

Thanks, we have a young son who will be coming with us.

Atherton looks nice

Yes, I would recommend staying at least a couple of nights there; a holiday on its own to be fair. Plenty to see there and the scenery is awesome. It was surprisingly cool there too especially at night. The Eco Lodge we stayed in there got our vote for best accommodation in our 5 week trip around Queensland (and there was stiff competition).

Yes, I would recommend staying at least a couple of nights there; a holiday on its own to be fair. Plenty to see there and the scenery is awesome. It was surprisingly cool there too especially at night. The Eco Lodge we stayed in there got our vote for best accommodation in our 5 week trip around Queensland (and there was stiff competition).

Gotta Agree with this!!

• 1 month later...

Just re-igniting this thread as looking again at what and where to book.

Flight prices into Brisbane seem to have risen since before Christmas:eek:

Can anyone recommend any hotels in central Brisbane ideally located to see best of the City and surrounds for a few days?

Then specific places (hotels or apartments) on Sunshine coast

Then specific places in Cairns and surrounds

Many Thanks in advance