What made you bite the bullet to move to Australia?

Major Tom

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I presume the 'tipping point' was reference to my original post, I understand all countries have their 'issues' with immigration etc........ But we have a Government in the UK that has lost its backbone over the last 15yrs, I admired your previous PM's Howard, Gillard, Rudd who were very outspoken about, "either fit in in our great Country, or leave" the UK is becoming an easy target, there are lots of British citizens that would welcome the Australian immigration system, it was debated at the last election, it's not being racist, it's wanting what's best for your country's future, and your children to grow up in a society that's not focused on multicultural and forgetting its origins, there's a very fine line, and the UK have stepped over it in my opinion.

Cheers MT

Afraid I can only reiterate my first post on this rhread, Move to something not from something. And moving because you don't like immigration to your home country is the most ironic rationale of them all.

And simply doesn't make sense when you are moving from the UK to Australia.

Whatever you might think of policy, Australia has a far higher percentage of immigrants, isn't it one in four born overseas? What is it in the UK, one in ten, one in twenty maybe? I don't know, but darn sure it is not one in four.

Afraid I can only reiterate my first post on this rhread, Move to something not from something. And moving because you don't like immigration to your home country is the most ironic rationale of them all.

And simply doesn't make sense when you are moving from the UK to Australia.

Whatever you might think of policy, Australia has a far higher percentage of immigrants, isn't it one in four born overseas? What is it in the UK, one in ten, one in twenty maybe? I don't know, but darn sure it is not one in four.

Try reading my other great points for moving in context with the whole post, please do not dissect as I stated on my last post.

Originally Posted by Major Tom viewpost-right.png

........previous PM's ....... who were very outspoken about, "either fit in in our great Country, or leave"

the current incumbent - don't make me laugh!....

Malcolm Turnbull: 9 October 2015:

"It is not compulsory to live in Australia, if you find Australian values are.... unpalatable, then there's a big wide world out there and people have got freedom of movement," .

Guest Guest109139
Ours was three reasons, live with my OH who is Australian, but we both were very shocked in the UK regarding the Rotherham Abuse scandal in the news, where the Council and Police were aware of the goings on, but were frightened to do anything because of being tarred with the 'Racist' card..............that tipped us over the edge, especially me, we didn't want to bring our kids up in a country that's frightened of standing up for its own culture and beliefs!

Second was, we discovered eldest boy had a brain tumour after our 8 week holiday in Australia over 2012 Christmas & New Year. We made that decision as a family to move when we were over, but because of the issues when we returned it was postponed, but we've had the treatment, recovered, and have started the process again, we have a new family moto, it's one life, live it.

Third, we just love the outside type lifestyle, we love sea, surfing, beaches, camping, have a 1972 VW Kombi (as they're called in Oz) and want to complete some traveling, so the kids can look back when older, and see what a great time they had as children.

Cheers MT

Which part of Australia are you moving to?

I notice from your location that you're not far from where we live in West Somerset, and having just returned to this area after six years in Perth, I wonder why we didn't move here first instead of moving to the other side of the world. It's just stunning, Perth is nowhere near on par with the South West IMO.

Funnily enough we also love camping and we are planning to buy a VW Kombi so we can explore all the beauties around here, Devon, Cornwall, Wales, the South Coast in a campervan and honestly I cannot imagine a better place than England to travel around, explore and having fun in it.

We did a camper van travel from Monkey Mia down to Augusta on the west coast, and although it was great, it was much of the sameness.

Anyway, good luck with your move.

Which part of Australia are you moving to?

I notice from your location that you're not far from where we live in West Somerset, and having just returned to this area after six years in Perth, I wonder why we didn't move here first instead of moving to the other side of the world. It's just stunning, Perth is nowhere near on par with the South West IMO.

Funnily enough we also love camping and we are planning to buy a VW Kombi so we can explore all the beauties around here, Devon, Cornwall, Wales, the South Coast in a campervan and honestly I cannot imagine a better place than England to travel around, explore and having fun in it.

We did a camper van travel from Monkey Mia down to Augusta on the west coast, and although it was great, it was much of the sameness.

Anyway, good luck with your move.

Thank you, we are moving to Melbourne area in early 2016, where are you based in Somerset, and what type of VW are you after, old retro, or modern?

Cheers MT

Leap of Faith.

Yes indeedy!

Thinking if its not for us - we always have an option of returning to the UK...and we would have had an adventure to spice things up. Thinking positive

Good attitude. Thinking positive is the best way to proceed.

Perth gets very very hot up in the 40's, so that may cull some outdoor activities in the height of summer. So have a backup plan for very hot days. I like to go to the cinema for the icy air-con.

You should sigh up for this free newsletter: http://www.weekendnotes.com/perth/

Try reading my other great points for moving in context with the whole post, please do not dissect as I stated on my last post.

I was commenting on the post I quoted though? That is how this forum lark works.

But I did read your first post anyway and thought ... oh dear...

Your very first point was about race and culture, but you are migrating to a hugely multicultural country ... it doesn't make sense. And as for moving to be more outdoorsy, well it has all been said before. You are either outdoorsy or you are not, people that enjoy the outdoors in the UK will be the same in Australia, people that seek cover the minute a temperature drops or a bit of drizzle appears in the UK, will probably run for cover when it is hot, humid or the heavens open in Australia.

Guest Guest109139
Thank you, we are moving to Melbourne area in early 2016, where are you based in Somerset, and what type of VW are you after, old retro, or modern?

Cheers MT

We are in the Blackdown Hills and had fallen love with the area from day one, a huge change of scenery from Perth. So much to see and do around here, I have lists as long as my arm for places to go, it will take us years to truly explore just this part of the country.

I have only just started looking at campervans, I'd like to go for an old retro one, and what has inspired me wanting to buy one was the fact that there are so many different (especially hidden) places to explore nearby. Also my daughter is a huge fan of campervans, so I reckon if we buy one, our holidays will be sorted for at least the next five years

:-)

"Bite the bullet?" That is not the phrase I would use about making the decision to go to Australia?

I always thought "bite the bullet" was a positive term.

Meaning finally having the balls to do something you really wanted to do - but were too scared to - so you bite the bullet, became brave and took the plunge.

Looks like I was wrong due to all negative connotations on the web

I always thought "bite the bullet" was a positive term.

Meaning finally having the balls to do something you really wanted to do - but were too scared to - so you bite the bullet, became brave and took the plunge.

Looks like I was wrong due to all negative connotations on the web

No definitely a negative term. Like you are resigned to or steel yourself to do something that you would rather not.

Now, let's get this post back to the good positive vibe it was intended to be..........AMEN!

Yes I was just thinking that.

I have noticed that it doesn't take long for helpful, uplifting, positive, interesting and enjoyable posts........ to turn to whiny negative argumentative shambolic posts on here.

I now find myself avoiding this forum, as it often leaves me feeling depressed from all the negativity.

God help me if I was in the UK and thinking of migrating using this site - I would not get past Heathrow! :sad:

I was commenting on the post I quoted though? That is how this forum lark works.

But I did read your first post anyway and thought ... oh dear...

Your very first point was about race and culture, but you are migrating to a hugely multicultural country ... it doesn't make sense. And as for moving to be more outdoorsy, well it has all been said before. You are either outdoorsy or you are not, people that enjoy the outdoors in the UK will be the same in Australia, people that seek cover the minute a temperature drops or a bit of drizzle appears in the UK, will probably run for cover when it is hot, humid or the heavens open in Australia.

Each to their own opinion, that's how this forum lark works :-)

We are in the Blackdown Hills and had fallen love with the area from day one, a huge change of scenery from Perth. So much to see and do around here, I have lists as long as my arm for places to go, it will take us years to truly explore just this part of the country.

I have only just started looking at campervans, I'd like to go for an old retro one, and what has inspired me wanting to buy one was the fact that there are so many different (especially hidden) places to explore nearby. Also my daughter is a huge fan of campervans, so I reckon if we buy one, our holidays will be sorted for at least the next five years

:-)

Very nice area, lots of horsey stuff up there I think? We have a 1972 VW camper, but you can get a slightly more modern retro camper made by Danbury Conversions, they take the Brazilian VW Camper and add a modern twist, and it has modern engine, gearbox and brakes to make it easier to drive every day. :-)

I always wanted to come to Oz and was disappointed when hubby and I got turned down for regional sponsorship by Victoria in 2003. Life in UK was pretty good though and we were cracking on a bit age wise so just accepted it. In 2006 I was on holiday and by change read the sits vacant in the Guardian and there was an IT job advertised and I applied thinking 'I don't stand a chance but worth a go'. Three grueling interviews later, I had a job in Brisbane. Managed to get sponsored for PR in the nick of time, then citizenship and we're still here 10 years later. We came for 2 years initially on a 457 and will be heading back longer term for retirement - It has on the whole been a very good experience for all of us,and although a much changed country since we arrived has provided some great opportunities and options for my kids. My nurse daughter loves her job and sadly (for us) her options, pay,conditions are better in Oz. As an adventure it has been life changing, and good luck to all the people coming out to experience it all. As others have said, the trick is to embrace the new Australian adventure, instead of running away from UK with the 'gone to the dogs, too many immigrants, rains all the time' nonsense......

Came here to Queensland 10 years ago with my hubby & younger son whose now 31. I was so disillusioned with the UK. Apart from hating the dismal grey damp /wet & cold weather, i was fed up fast becoming a second class citizen in my own country with my rights slowly being taken away from me & given to immigrants. The NHS was failing dismally, violence was rife, over crowded, green belts being sold out to highest bidder to build more houses for the immigrants while our own were denied them. What a crap country. I loved England years ago, it was THE best place to grow up in, born & bred in London, it was the place to be, especially in teenage years. But the decline really began in the 80's & moved swiftly across the country.

We were actually applying to migrate to Florida, we used to go there once or twice a year, then my mother in law discovered she had twin brothers in Oz. They came over to visit & meet the family for a month, then we came over to Oz the following year to meet the family over here, fell in love with the place, the country, the people, the way of life, & said Sod Florida, lets come to Oz.

Been here 10 yrs now & can't imagine living anywhere else, this is the best country in the world, so full of opportunity & the rewards of hard work are great. Love the outdoor lifestyle, LOVE waking up almost every morning to Sunshine & warmth. I'm a sunshine person & suffered terribly with SAD in England, over here we have 300 days a year or more of sunshine & only up to 65 days of rain or over cast sky !!!! There is nowhere like it.

I love the diversity of the country, bit like America only better.

Sadly my beautiful hubby passed away from cancer 18 months ago aged 49. Many friends in the uk presumed i would automatically go back there !!!! Why the hell would i do that ??? My life is here, my hubby gave me this wonderful opportunity to live where i have always wanted & dreamed of living, i would not shame his memory by giving up & going back & to what ???

Now my eldest son is over here too, so both my boys are here. I sold our house & bought another house on the gold coast where i wanted to be, love the vibe here. I love the beaches. I also got a full time job & am now self supportive. I'm proud of myself & i know my hubby would be proud of me too. I live close to my youngest son, about 20 minutes away & my eldest has now found the love of his life at 34, & lives about just over an hour away.

Life is good, i still miss Dave every single day, i still have my lonely times, my tears & heartache, but living here helps. If this was in the uk, i'd be a broken person, probably suffering with a deep depression. But this country doesn't allow me to do that, it has too much to offer.

The only problem i have is being able to go out & make friends, all my friends are happily married, & living the married life as i once did, so i know what its like. So i am trying to find ways of being able to make friends to go out with, do things with, doesn't matter if they are male or female as i've always had a mixed bag of friends. I'm a very young 55, & too young to sit at home wallowing in self pity & being a couch potato, i wanna get out there, do things, see things & i love meeting people. So if anyone on here knows of any groups, or clubs that are around for mostly single people, please let me know, it would be very much appreciated.

In the mean time i will carry on taking my two beautiful fur babies ( my Rotty's ) to the beach & everywhere else on all these gorgeous sunny warm days.

BTW in response to that idiot lady who posted about Australia not being for her & going back to the UK, i can't stand Negativity !!!! Obviously the UK is where she belongs then, with the rest of the Negative people !!!!!!

Glad you have found happiness here even though it is without your husband Lainey.

Quite simply, life in Australia suits some people and doesn't suit others. These people can return to the UK or wherever else they came from. Nobody is forcing them to stay. Just live where you will be happy and get on with life.

Archived