Having doubts - like many have I'm sure!

cw1968

Hi,

New to forum but have been a lurker for months.

I have received a sponsored job offer in Sydney, am going through a 457 process, have a wife and a dog who will be coming with us.

I am self employed but the role I have been offered is actually less then I can earn in the UK if fully employed and my wife is a nursing auxiliary who hopefully would eventually find something similar in Oz. My wife is fantastic in that she is happy to go anywhere within reason and we were originally looking at this as an opportunity to try Oz and see if we liked it - even though it would be a very expensive gamble given move costs, upheaval and all the other emotional issues.

NOW...................I'm having doubts about whether we should take the gamble. We're late 40's, and whilst do not live with a grass is greener mindset - am thinking if the thoughts about what we'll miss - family/friends, real ale, country walks/pubs, access to Europe, music festivals, and the variety of countryside within such a small and accessible area (UK compared to Oz) - is reason enough to save our money and just be happy with what we have here and know. I am also concerned with the cost of living in Oz and the potential of an economic downturn but that could apply here in due course I guess.

This is a decision that my wife and I will make pretty soon and obviously one we will consider carefully so whilst I am not looking for any do it / don't do it advice (although I'm happy to receive it) I am asking if anyone else had these concerns well in advance of moving and how they felt after the move if they did indeed decide to do it.

Thanks for reading.

CW

Well I am a bit unsure what to write as you are not looking for the do it / don't do it conversation or any advice.

So sticking to what you do what comments on. Yes we wondered if we should move or not and weighed it all up, I think everyone does that. We were perfectly happy with the decision, we just enjoyed different things in Sydney. We are back in the UK now.

Well I am a bit unsure what to write as you are not looking for the do it / don't do it conversation or any advice.

So sticking to what you do what comments on. Yes we wondered if we should move or not and weighed it all up, I think everyone does that. We were perfectly happy with the decision, we just enjoyed different things in Sydney. We are back in the UK now.

Thanks - I need to clarify - I am happy to receive a do it or don't do it view from those who have or haven't - apologies for the confusion.

Cheers.

It sounds like you're going in with your eyes open, which means that if you go for it, you're far more likely to succeed - well done!

Personally I wouldn't even contemplate moving to Sydney on a 457 with children, given the high costs - but as it's just you and the oh, if you'll be getting a high salary and relocation assistance from your employer, it could work.

I assume you've researched rental costs and taken that into account in your budget - if not, check out domain.com.au.

My concern is that (as we've just found moving in the other direction!), moving for a short contract is just as expensive as moving permanently. You still have to set up an entire new home in Sydney - you can't "make do" for 2 or 3 years. It's rare to find furnished flats in Sydney, they are let unfurnished.

For the return costs, you have to consider that you'll be older - will you be able to walk into another job or do you need to allow living costs for some months out of work on your return?

Finally, you say you're thinking of it as a "try and see if we like it". Do you know whether you could qualify for a permanent visa in any case? There's a myth going around that once you've done two years on a 457, you can just convert to a permanent visa. It's not true. There is some advantage but essentially, you have to go through the same visa process as if you'd applied from the UK.

I'm absolutely cacking my pants about it. But Im guessing that's normal. However, I seem to have a lot less to lose than you.

I don't have a wife or a dog. I don't have a great paying job.I don't have lots of money or a house to lose.

So no matter what your situation is, I'd imagine everyone has doubts at some point.

It sounds like you're going in with your eyes open, which means that if you go for it, you're far more likely to succeed - well done!

Personally I wouldn't even contemplate moving to Sydney on a 457 with children, given the high costs - but if you'll be getting a high salary and relocation assistance from your employer, it could work.

I assume you've researched rental costs and taken that into account in your budget - if not, check out domain.com.au.

My concern is that (as we've just found moving in the other direction!), moving for a short contract is just as expensive as moving permanently. You still have to set up an entire new home in Sydney - you can't "make do" for 2 or 3 years, especially with kids. So you need to allow between £20k and £30k for the outward move and £10k to £20k for the move back.

Then there's the additional costs for those on a 457 - have you checked your liability for health costs and school fees (they do vary from state to state)?

Finally you have to consider the costs when you ultimately move back to the UK. You'll be older - will you be able to walk into another job or do you need to allow for some months out of work on your return? How old will your children be - they'll be treated as foreign students if they're ready to go to university and will have to pay fees accordingly.

We don't have kids - just a westie - who is just as important to us though. I guess the job questions are the most of concern if we return after say 2-3 years or sooner. I will be in my 50's and despite what some might say that's a difficult age to get another job.

We don't have kids - just a westie - who is just as important to us though. I guess the job questions are the most of concern if we return after say 2-3 years or sooner. I will be in my 50's and despite what some might say that's a difficult age to get another job.

You say "if" you return. If you're in your late 40's then I'd say it's "when" not "if"! From what I understand, it's difficult to get enough points to qualify for permanent residency in your late forties, so you probably won't have a choice!

All the more reason to look into getting 189 visa instead of a 457 now - delaying could be a very bad idea.

You say "if" you return. If you're in your late 40's then I'd say it's "when" not "if"! From what I understand, it's difficult to get enough points to qualify for permanent residency in your late forties, so you probably won't have a choice!

All the more reason to look into getting 189 visa instead of a 457 now - delaying could be a very bad idea.

I must admit I have fell for the myth on PR after 2 years on a 457 (if we decided to stay). We would not qualify for a points based visa now. This is a key issue now as I would find getting another job in the UK difficult.

Appreciate the advice.

I'm absolutely cacking my pants about it. But Im guessing that's normal. However, I seem to have a lot less to lose than you.

I don't have a wife or a dog. I don't have a great paying job.I don't have lots of money or a house to lose.

So no matter what your situation is, I'd imagine everyone has doubts at some point.

you have nothing cack ya pants for then , it's a plane ride away ! No kids to worry about , just ya self to feed , the cost for you and you only , be like pissing in the wind for you lol :)

Hi,

New to forum but have been a lurker for months.

I have received a sponsored job offer in Sydney, am going through a 457 process, have a wife and a dog who will be coming with us.

I am self employed but the role I have been offered is actually less then I can earn in the UK if fully employed and my wife is a nursing auxiliary who hopefully would eventually find something similar in Oz. My wife is fantastic in that she is happy to go anywhere within reason and we were originally looking at this as an opportunity to try Oz and see if we liked it - even though it would be a very expensive gamble given move costs, upheaval and all the other emotional issues.

NOW...................I'm having doubts about whether we should take the gamble. We're late 40's, and whilst do not live with a grass is greener mindset - am thinking if the thoughts about what we'll miss - family/friends, real ale, country walks/pubs, access to Europe, music festivals, and the variety of countryside within such a small and accessible area (UK compared to Oz) - is reason enough to save our money and just be happy with what we have here and know. I am also concerned with the cost of living in Oz and the potential of an economic downturn but that could apply here in due course I guess.

This is a decision that my wife and I will make pretty soon and obviously one we will consider carefully so whilst I am not looking for any do it / don't do it advice (although I'm happy to receive it) I am asking if anyone else had these concerns well in advance of moving and how they felt after the move if they did indeed decide to do it.

Thanks for reading.

CW

I don't think there is ever a perfect time to make a move. You just have to take a chance on things like the economy and a favourable FX rate, the latter wonderful at the moment for people transferring money from UK, but a year ago, not so good.

I am biased. I want you to come to Australia. Look at the statistics. Most people succeed. Don't listen to me though!

I must admit I have fell for the myth on PR after 2 years on a 457 (if we decided to stay). We would not qualify for a points based visa now. This is a key issue now as I would find getting another job in the UK difficult.

It's not entirely a myth, it's just that it's a pathway fraught with potential hitches and the rules are complicated (at least they look complicated to me!). You can get an employer sponsored visa once you've worked for two years, but last time I looked you had to be under 50. So I'd strongly suggest researching the details so you've got some idea whether you could stay or not - that could make all the difference to your decision.

you have nothing cack ya pants for then , it's a plane ride away ! No kids to worry about , just ya self to feed , the cost for you and you only , be like pissing in the wind for you lol :)

Exactly, but there are still doubts. But thats only natural.

Thanks - I need to clarify - I am happy to receive a do it or don't do it view from those who have or haven't - apologies for the confusion.

Cheers.

Right ok then. Well in that case, I think that this could potentially be a very nice adventure for a couple of late-40 somethings with no children. I think it gets harder with children, as not all of them will appreciate or cope with being moved back and forth. Yes, you will miss out on all those things you mention, but in their place will be new, different experiences.

At the same time, you have to really weigh up whether you would feel able to pick up where you left off if you do return to the UK. Age definitely comes into this. As you were self employed before, perhaps you could be again and it would be relatively easy to pick up again? I don't know either way, that is something you would need to assess.

You would also need to assess if you think the expense of migrating is worth it for the adventure. We moved out five years ago and back this year, must have spent £60k in the process, just replacing a car that you might have otherwise kept for a few more years adds a lot of cost onto the process. We were happy to have incurred this expense because we think we got our money's worth out of the experience. We are also a couple in our 40s no kids and have the philosophy that we can't take it with us so we are going to spend and enjoy life now. I don't think that you should feel the same, but I think that it is worth you considering how your thoughts lie on the matter.

Exactly, but there are still doubts. But thats only natural.

my husbands peeing himself laughing at me he said that's the wrong saying to piss in the wind is difficult lol he said I should of said it should be a breeze for you lol ! He said to me have I ever tried pissing in the wind it's difficult to do ! So he's killing himself laughing and said ya better correct ya self lol :) yes it's natural but what I'm trying to say is ya can always hop back on a plane if there is just you to consider :)

my husbands peeing himself laughing at me he said that's the wrong saying to piss in the wind is difficult lol he said I should of said it should be a breeze for you lol ! He said to me have I ever tried pissing in the wind it's difficult to do ! So he's killing himself laughing and said ya better correct ya self lol :) yes it's natural but what I'm trying to say is ya can always hop back on a plane if there is just you to consider :)

Hahahaha... As long as your pissing down wind you should be perfectly fine ;). I guess I was just pointing out that even with very little to worry about, there is still an element of doubt.

As long as you think of it as a temporary adventure, hang on to your home etc you should be fine as there are only the two of you. Your wife may struggle to find work being a dependent on a temporary visa and (dare I say it) getting a bit long in the tooth so don't factor in her potential wages then if she can find work they will be an added bonus.

Hey CW,

The only help I can offer you on your dilemma is that my parents moved over in 2008 in their 40's. Whilst my mum loves it, my dad really wishes they had stayed in the UK. And they are definitely much worse off financially over there. My hubby and I are still desperate to go though so it can't be all bad!

May I ask how you got the job offer please? Was it through your job in the UK? Or did you search and find it yourself. My husband and I are starting to look into 457's as his skilled trade visa is taking forever. But we can't find the jobs!

Thanks in advance

Carissa

Hey CW,

The only help I can offer you on your dilemma is that my parents moved over in 2008 in their 40's. Whilst my mum loves it, my dad really wishes they had stayed in the UK. And they are definitely much worse off financially over there. My hubby and I are still desperate to go though so it can't be all bad!

May I ask how you got the job offer please? Was it through your job in the UK? Or did you search and find it yourself. My husband and I are starting to look into 457's as his skilled trade visa is taking forever. But we can't find the jobs!

Thanks in advance

Carissa

thanks Carissa - I knew the company, and an old colleague recommended me.

If you can afford it (Sydney is expensive) and look at it as a temporary adventure and don't burn your bridges as others have said then you could have fun.

I came over on a 457 10 years ago - it was my only way to come at the time due to my age. I have to say it took a good 6 years or so to start missing the things that you are already worried about missing (real ale etc...). I was really enthusiastic about coming and it met a lifelong dream to live in Australia..... I am pretty well paid here but have no doubt that if I'd costed the move properly (I refused to do so as I know it would have hurt), I would have been so much better off remaining in UK - things like a non contributory pension, 10 days extra annual leave a year etc all add up. But life is short and it's not all about money so why not give it a go as long as you don't treat it as a permanent move?

Simply be open minded about your decision. See it as an opportunity and small adventure. As mentioned it is not perminant and even if just for a couple of years I'm sure you will not regret your decision even if you find it is not for you.

We moved, now earn less but feel happy that we made the move. Still live comfortably and find we are generally are spending less.

S

:huh:

:huh:

When I told a few people that it would cost £4k to take our dog some were surprised we would pa that and one comment was along the lines of leave him here - he's only a dog. My response was that he is like a child to us - that's the context of my comment. The "just" above is in that it is my wife, me and the dog is no other dependents - ie "just"!!!

Archived