Melbourne: cool, chilly, or frrrreezing?

melbourne

We all know that Melbourne is famous for having four seasons in one day. But I've read quite a bit about the wind chill factor, and looked at where they are on the map (4 degrees further south than Sydney), and have heard from others that unless you're permanently dressed in fleece from head to toe, it gets cold enough to freeze your privates off laugh.png

So how cold is cold? I've looked at climate comparisons with Sydney, for example, and while Sydney gets more rain, it seems that Melbourne is definitely on the cooler side. But climate graphs don't take wind chill into account, which means the only way to really tell is to ask you fine people what it's like to live in the city.

Over to you!

So how cold is cold?

Well, its mean monthly maxima temperatures are 3 to 5 degrees warmer than London. And it's not the windiest city in Australia: Perth is.

Fleece might come into its own in June or July but "permanently dressed in fleece" is a ridiculous statement.

We all know that Melbourne is famous for having four seasons in one day.

....mainly famous for this among people who don't live here.

It was 25C today, sunny and still. This month is the equivalent of March in the UK.

You decide.

Weather was never a factor for us in migrating, job availability and lifestyle were much more important.

BB

We all know that Melbourne is famous for having four seasons in one day. But I've read quite a bit about the wind chill factor, and looked at where they are on the map (4 degrees further south than Sydney), and have heard from others that unless you're permanently dressed in fleece from head to toe, it gets cold enough to freeze your privates off laugh.png

So how cold is cold? I've looked at climate comparisons with Sydney, for example, and while Sydney gets more rain, it seems that Melbourne is definitely on the cooler side. But climate graphs don't take wind chill into account, which means the only way to really tell is to ask you fine people what it's like to live in the city.

Over to you!

If you are coming from the UK, you are not going to be troubled by undue cold in Melbourne. The UK has a colder climate, I am sure this is easily verifiable with a quick google.

I went to Melbourne at start of winter and I was soooooo cold, freezing and for that reason I never went back lol I am from Scotland but I had been in Aus a while before I visited Melbourne and the difference in temperature was a shock to me, I couldn't wait to leave n go back up north for a heat :/ but a lot of people like that, i'm sure it has warm summers!

I went to Melbourne at start of winter and I was soooooo cold, freezing and for that reason I never went back lol I am from Scotland but I had been in Aus a while before I visited Melbourne and the difference in temperature was a shock to me, I couldn't wait to leave n go back up north for a heat :/ but a lot of people like that, i'm sure it has warm summers!

It's funny isn't it, after living in Victoria we went for a holiday to Queensland and I hated the weather, couldn't wait to get back to Victoria, and we were living in Gisborne, it's a few degrees cooler in winter than Melbourn but I loved it, I'd say the best climate in Australia for my tastes would be Tassie.

....mainly famous for this among people who don't live here.

It was 25C today, sunny and still. This month is the equivalent of March in the UK.

You decide.

Weather was never a factor for us in migrating, job availability and lifestyle were much more important.

BB

Agree, weather is not a negative factor in reviewing Melbourne. You expect chilly mornings in winter, made easier with bright blue skies. Those hot 40+ days are why there are beaches and cold beer.

But seriously consider the fluctuations in weather in selecting accommodation.

Perhaps the swing in seasons allows more stability for immigrants as often its "be careful what you wish for"

The weather is a lot warmer than the UK- very rarely do you get a frost. In Summer it can get really , really hot but it usually only lasts 2 or 3 days and then you get a 'cool change' and it drops back into the 20s. We do get a lot of bushfires which is a reason not to live in a place surrounded by trees and bush even though it might look gorgeous.

The weather is a lot warmer than the UK- very rarely do you get a frost. In Summer it can get really , really hot but it usually only lasts 2 or 3 days and then you get a 'cool change' and it drops back into the 20s. We do get a lot of bushfires which is a reason not to live in a place surrounded by trees and bush even though it might look gorgeous.

Mmmm....might find the winters too cold if your from SA

So cold on the winter and hot in the summer? Sounds perfect. Lots of poms prefer Melbournes weather, I really struggle with the humidity of Sydney.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm in Cape Town .. which is around 33 South. Melbourne is 37 South.

Melbourne weather is very similar to Cape Town in my opinion. It can get very hot, but that's unusual. Normal summer temps are between 20-30C, warmer days up to the mid 30s and a few extreme days will be high 30s and up in to the 40s. These temps don't last and it can literally drop 25C from one day to the next.

Winters are generally mild and it's rare things get in to single figures during the daytime. Probably about 12-14C would be an average mid winter temp. Winter nights are cool but not generally that cold, maybe about 8-10C on average.

I'm from the UK and it still makes me laugh to see Australians wearing hats, gloves and scarves in 15C weather. Talk about soft!