Hubby going ahead without us.....

jodipodi

Exactly... It is a huge thing to do Im aware of this.... Me especially so as we have three children here to think of. But it's either a temporary effort.... Or a permanent life changer... Either way its an experience...and thank you for the vote of positivity xx

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't know you could get a WHV is you had children?

I personally would be against this idea, but great to see that you are trying your everything to get there!

As long as they aren't with you at any point during your stay you can do what you like if you are under 30

As long as they aren't with you at any point during your stay you can do what you like if you are under 30

ok didn't know that, could have just checked the visa website, but knew someone would correct me :wink:

you learn something new everyday, thanks quoll

Thank you, there are cuts here too.....massive cuts in the wrong places. Places where funding is needed most, it's a sorry state of affairs allover for young people today. Let's hope something changes for them.

There are many, many vacancies for Youth Workers in Australia from what we can see, and we have been advised by some that they would consider 457.

However we appreciate what people say and what they do can be very different.

Like I say, he may have to take something else in the meantime, I have friends who have contacts in Perth also and hopefully they can help in some way if push comes to shove.

He will have enough to see him through for 6months without work anyway so that's a security blanket whilst he's looking for work.

Thanks all x

Thank you, there are cuts here too.....massive cuts in the wrong places. Places where funding is needed most, it's a sorry state of affairs allover for young people today. Let's hope something changes for them.

There are many, many vacancies for Youth Workers in Australia from what we can see, and we have been advised by some that they would consider 457.

However we appreciate what people say and what they do can be very different.

Like I say, he may have to take something else in the meantime, I have friends who have contacts in Perth also and hopefully they can help in some way if push comes to shove.

He will have enough to see him through for 6months without work anyway so that's a security blanket whilst he's looking for work.

Thanks all x

I searched in the child welfare, youth and family services category on seek.com.au. There were only 505 roles across the whole of Australia and if I put "youth" in the key words it reduces to 142. That doesn't seem like a lot of roles to me.

Are you really, really sure about this? I am just worried for you. That you could be leaving a job at a time when cuts are being made and end up with nothing in either country. And maybe the savings being used on this trip and possibly subsidising your living costs die to lost earnings, would be better put towards the financial requirements for NT state sponsorship?

Hi Bungo, thank you.. I appreciate your concern. Please don't worry yourself over us!

There are different titles for jobs, Youth Worker, Residential Support Worker, Case Management, Community Officer, Community Entrepreneurs, Family Support Worker,etc....we get quite a few notifications from Seek each day......but like I say, we know this might be utter tripe.... He might work his fingers to the bone looking and never get anything! But we want to try.

Yes funds could be put towards that, but this is what we choose to do at the moment.

I have work which I always fall back on.

We do have other options if it doesn't work.

Thanks. ... And I do appreciate the enormity of it, but sometimes we have to take chances. If he doesn't find youth work he may find something else....which will help our visa application anyway. He is willing to do other work, but retraining is not on the agenda.

Xx

I suspect you may have more of a chance of work in the 'less popular' states - NT in particular springs to mind as mentioned above - don't rule out investigation of state sponsorship - could be a lot more permanent than 457. I know teachers stand much more chance of finding permanent work if they are prepared to work in rural Australia - So same may be true of youth worker - and could be a fascinating start to your Ozzie adventure. Not easy of course, but I'm sure someone in that line of work knows that and is up for a challenge.

Oh state sponsorship would be so much better Chortlepuss, certainly.

We'd be happy to go anywhere where the work is...We're going to contact as many potential employers as possible to notify them of Lee's plans to come over, might give people a heads up if they have suitable vacancies.

I suspect you may have more of a chance of work in the 'less popular' states - NT in particular springs to mind as mentioned above - don't rule out investigation of state sponsorship - could be a lot more permanent than 457.

Mmm I thought NT was a good option too, as it does seem to have more social issues and hence need for community workers.

The other thing is that if he is in the territory with a job, even if the employer cannot sponsor, then it woulld assist with state sponsorship for skilled migration and I think bypasses the proof of funds requirement that is currently preventing them from applying.

Ah we won't all be able to go first off anyway Srh82....he'd still have to go before us. We don't have sponsorship...but if he got work there it would massively help our situation.

I see Darwin is hugely expensive.....how much more expensive is it... Renting alone seems extremely costly!

That's good. Probably worth your husband trying to engage potential future employers on the phone via skype before he travels.

If he can at least gauge reaction on the phone to what he wants to do he may be able to set up some openings for when he arrives.

Good luck.

No Srh82, he can't. But no, I don't need him to support us from there we will be fine for a short time.

I'm thinking of the added costs of renting for him, but if jobs are a plenty there it will be more sensible in any case.

Lots of backpackers have difficulty securing jobs, essentially as a WHV holder, he is a backpacker.

If he decides to head to the NT then I would suggest he goes remote where there are lots of jobs. Alice Springs always has jobs available. However, whether your family would want to live there is a whole other matter.

I think planning is essential in your case, rents in Perth are also very expensive. Rural or remote may be the way to go if you desperate to get here and can look at a long term plan which may involve you living somewhere you do not want to for a couple of years.

We have accounted for Perth rental to be approx $1000 a month for a studio which is doable, will have to do some research on NT as we hadn't initially considered that for his trip.

He may have to be there a while longer than what we plan...I don't know. It would depend on whether he gets a job.

I hope the fact he has ideal qualifications and experience goes on his favour for Youth work.... There are not a vast amount of Youth Workers who hold specific degree qualifications so hoping that counts for something. He has great experience with challenging behaviours too.

Going to have to email some people before hand for sure.

Yeah I agree, long term is our aim and our goals have not changed in the many years we've had this move in our plan..not giving up. Going to be a tough ride though for sure.

Archived