Affordable Suburbs within 20km of the CBD

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

The high cost of housing within the inner-city areas of the capital cities is one of the key reasons why many potential buyers decide to look further afield when purchasing a home. While the middle-ring suburbs may not be as desirable to some as inner-city suburbs, they still tend to be much better catered for with amenity than suburbs located further from the city centre.

The middle-ring suburbs, which we are classifying as being between 10 and 20km from the city centre, typically offer more affordable housing than the inner–city suburbs. However, for houses, lot sizes are often larger and for units there tends to not be as much density as in the inner city. While overall amenity may not be as significant as within the inner 10 kilometre ring, because they are well established suburbs and still close to the city centre, they are typically well catered for with regards to amenities and infrastructure.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Guest The Pom Queen
For anybody thinking of moving to any of the Melbourne suburbs mentioned, go and have a good look around, and then run like the wind :biglaugh:

That's why they are affordable, but it's usually properties in suburbs like that which go up in value the most

For anybody thinking of moving to any of the Melbourne suburbs mentioned, go and have a good look around, and then run like the wind :biglaugh:

I was thinking exactly the same about Perth - Lockridge is possibly the best of those, I don't know it but that general area is okay, I expect it'll be on the flight path from Perth airport though. I loved Guildford but it was blighted by that.

Not one of them would give you the typical Aussie lifestyle though as they are all inland so stifling hot in the summer & a much higher risk of bush fires.

I would agree, not one of those Sydney suburbs would give someone the Aussie lifestyle they dream about - a long way from the beach and a long way from the lively atmosphere of the inner suburbs and city. They all have their problems and I would go even further out rather than live in any of them.

The examples they have chosen are probably the absolute cheapest suburbs just in the 20km limit and some even out to 25km.

Regardless the point stands that the 10-20km range on average provides more affordable housing on large blocks than the inner 10km.

I think what may be considered middle ring in Brisbane, for example, would be far closer to the CBD than in Sydney, given Sydney is a lot larger and more expensive. Many middle ring suburbs in Brisbane would probably be labeled inner city in Sydney.

More affordable middle ring suburbs in Brisbane would be something like:

4bed 1bath 2car - 12km from City

Keperra $425,000

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-keperra-120447137

4bed 1bath 1car - 11km from City

Mitchelton $519,000

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-mitchelton-119851305

4bed 1bath 2car - 14km from City

Ferny Hills $482,500

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-ferny+hills-120479933

The Brisbane suburbs listed in the OP are more industrial, certainly not somewhere id choose to live even if they were another 100 grand cheaper that what they are now.I wonder why those suburbs were listed as i can think of a lot more desirable and nicer areas than those.

Cal x

The examples they have chosen are probably the absolute cheapest suburbs just in the 20km limit and some even out to 25km.

Regardless the point stands that the 10-20km range on average provides more affordable housing on large blocks than the inner 10km.

I think what may be considered middle ring in Brisbane, for example, would be far closer to the CBD than in Sydney, given Sydney is a lot larger and more expensive. Many middle ring suburbs in Brisbane would probably be labeled inner city in Sydney.

Affordable middle ring suburbs in Brisbane would be something like:

4bed 1bath 2car - 12km from City

Keperra $425,000

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-keperra-120447137

4bed 1bath 1car - 11km from City

Mitchelton $519,000

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-mitchelton-119851305

4bed 1bath 2car - 14km from City

Ferny Hills $482,500

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-ferny+hills-120479933

Mitchelton is a pretty good suburb with a more villagey feel and on the train line, I quite like it.

Ferny is a good cheaper suburb on trainline too but quite far out. I would much rather these suburbs than the likes of north lakes or springfield lakes and defnitely more than any suburb listed above.

I learnt a few things, Googling each of the Sydney 'burbs, some I know, and some just 'names on the map.' I ate my Xmas Dinner a couple of years back in Punchbowl at 'Jasmine', an excellent Lebanese restaurant. You might have to overcome some of your prejudices if you move to Punchbowl or Lakemba, but they are both vibrant places.

Wiley Park is named after the reserve of 20 acres (81,000 m2) that was bequeathed in the will of Mr. J.V. Wiley in 1906 for a park and recreational ground for local residents. Wiley was a shoemaker who died unmarried and without children.

The Aboriginal word Birrong meaning star, was adopted as the suburb's name around 1927.[2]One of the first settlers of Birrong was Joseph Hyde Potts who was granted land in the area in 1835 and has Potts Hill named after him. Development in the area of Birrong increased with the opening of the railway in 1928. Birrong Park, an area that was subject to flooding was drained as relief work during the Great Depression (1929-1934). The post office opened in 1955.[3]

The name for Chester Hill is an inversion of Hillchester which some have thought to be an English locality but such does not seem to exist. 'Chester' is one of the English forms of the Latin word 'castra' meaning a fortified camp. The name for the suburb was conferred by Mrs H. A. McMillan, who first wished to call the place Hillcrest, after an estate near Regent's Park, and then Hillchester but neither of these names met with official approval.[2]

Originally part of John Thomas Campbell's estate, known as Campbell Hill, it covered 1,000 acres (4.0 km2). Land was used for market gardens and orchards until the opening of the railway line in 1924 when the area developed into residential and light industrial.

Lakemba - The area was at an early time in its colonial history originally known as Potato Hill because potatoes were cropped here. Land grants by the new colonial government began in Lakemba about 1810. Samuel Hockley was granted 50 acres (200,000 m2), which he called Essex Hill Farm, after his home county in England. The suburb was known as Belmore South until 1910.

Benjamin Taylor had a 22 hectare property in the 1880s. He named his property "Lakeba" (pronounced Lakemba) after the Lakeba island in the Lau Islands group of Fiji, where his second wife's grandparents, Rev and Mrs Cross, were missionaries from 1835. One of the original streets is Oneata Street, named after another small Fijian Island, close to Lakeba. Benjamin Taylor was variously an entomologist, town clerk, Alderman and Mayor of Canterbury Council. The railway line was built to the neighbouring suburb of Belmore in 1895 and extended to Lakemba and beyond, in 1909. The station was built on Benjamin Taylor's property and was named after his ‘Lakemba Cottage’.

Yagoona - Before European settlement, the area was originally occupied by the Bediagal people.The area now known as Yagoona, Bass Hill, and north Bankstown was once known as Irish Town, due to the high concentration of Irish rebels transported here from Ireland in the late 1700s. Land grants were issued to Irish families and finally the suburb of Yagoona was created in 1927.[4] St Matthew's Anglican Church was built on Liverpool Road (now Hume Highway) in 1861 to cater for the Protestants of the district as well as to function as a school.[4]

Punchbowl is named for a circular valley, called "the punch bowl", which is actually located in the nearby suburb of Belfield at the intersection of Coronation Parade, Georges River and Punchbowl Roads. This feature gave its name to "Punch Bowl Road" (now Punchbowl Road). In the 1830s, an inn built by George Faulkener, close to the corner of Liverpool Road, was called the Punch and Bowl. John Stephens had a property there in the 1830s and his son is mentioned in the Wells Gazetteer in 1848, "Clairville or Punchbowl, in the Parishes of St George and Bankstown, is the property of Sir Alfred Stephens". When a railway station opened on this road in 1909, three kilometres away from the 'punch bowl' itself, the surrounding suburb came to be known as Punchbowl.[2]

In the 1920s and 1930s, Punchbowl was a higher-class suburb, with a number of popular theatres that were closed down or demolished thirty years later. The Punchbowl Astoria opened on 17 July 1935 with seating for 915 persons. The final programme was shown on Wednesday 4 February 1959. The Astoria was eventually gutted and refitted as a three-storey office building. The Punchbowl Regent was situated on the corner of The Boulevarde and Matthews Street. Operated by Enterprise Theatres Ltd, the Regent opened on Saturday 24 May 1923, showing The White Rose. It was a large cinema with seating for 1,287 patrons. The last programme was shown on Wednesday 4 February 1959. The Regent was demolished in August 1964 and replaced by a block of shops.

The suburb took its name from a local property built by Mr Peck and Mr Johnson in 1879, which they had named after Regent's Park, in the north-west of London, United Kingdom.[2]

Regents Park The area was originally part of a land grant to Joseph Hyde Potts and the first subdivision was made in 1880. When the school opened in 1899 it was known as Potts Hill School, but became Sefton Park School in 1907 when this area became known as Sefton Park. In 1929 it was changed to Regent Park School. The railway station opened in 1914 as Regents Park but the site was changed in 1924 when the line connected Lidcombe to Bankstown. The suburb is also notable in the work of Australian poet Peter Skrzynecki, who grew up in Regents Park. Poems such as 'Feliks Skrzynecki' and 'Regents Park' explore the experiences of post war migrants in Australia and their life in the growing suburbs of Sydney's west. The poem '10 Mary Street'is about the Skrzynecki family home which still stands today as a tangible example from some of Skrzynecki's best work.

For nineteen years

We departed

Each morning, shut the house

Like a well-oiled lock,

Hid the key

Under a rusty bucket:

To school and work -

Over that still too-narrow bridge,

Around the factory

That was always burning down.

Back at 5pm

From the polite hum-drum

Of washing clothes

And laying sewerage pipes,

My parents watered

Plants - grew potatoes

And rows of sweet corn:

Tended roses and camellias

Like adopted children.

Home from school earlier

I'd ravage the backyard garden

Like a hungry bird -

Until bursting at the seams

Of my little blue

St Patrick's College cap,

I'd swear to stay off

Strawberries and peas forever

The Perth ones are fine if

you are coming from a seriously bad council estate in the north of England.

Think that steel shutters and doors are normal.

Have a pet dog that has won all of its previous pit bull fights.

You consider personal violence a normal part of life

the aspirations you have for your children are that they don't get off on something as common as glue and at least use ICE.

Archived