Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot - OCCUPATION REMOVED July 2017

CaptainR

Hello all

Do we have to add 'sea service performed as cadet' in the company seatime letters.

Thnx in advance.

I'd certainly recommend getting the letters with everything including time as a cadet in it, it means you have all the verifiable history necessary whether its for AMSA or DIBP.

Good day all,

As ship officer is flagged out should i apply in october as awaiting for my COC.

I'm not totally sure what you're asking? Perhaps you could rephrase, but I think you asking whether you can apply whilst you are still waiting for your CoC to be processed? I'd recommend applying when you have all the necessary and proper documentation ready, anything less will create more problems and lengthy delays with AMSA.

As Marine jobs in SOL are flagged now and they will be removed in near future, I need to know what is exactly "near future" means. Does it mean that it will be removed in next SOL update (june 2017) or it might be removed during 2016?Cheers

As Marine jobs in SOL are flagged now and they will be removed in near future, I need to know what is exactly "near future" means. Does it mean that it will be removed in next SOL update (june 2017) or it might be removed during 2016?Cheers

It means it will be assessed for possible removal in 2017.

Gday Capt R,

Thanks for reply.

I am doing my Chief mates from AMC,Tasmania and i m in my final block hopefully after orals only i can apply.

Because of flagged out had created a panic now.I am following this forum for quite sometime now lot of useful info. thank u.

1 more thing i did my OOW from UK and was there for 1yr do i need police clearance from UK also?

can you suggest the procedure?

Thank you.

Gday Capt R,

Thanks for reply.

I am doing my Chief mates from AMC,Tasmania and i m in my final block hopefully after orals only i can apply.

Because of flagged out had created a panic now.I am following this forum for quite sometime now lot of useful info. thank u.

1 more thing i did my OOW from UK and was there for 1yr do i need police clearance from UK also?

can you suggest the procedure?

Thank you.

Yes, it should be fairly easy to get your UK police clearance https://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx , but don't get it too soon, it's only valid for a limited period of time.

Where did you do your OOW?

Hello all...its regarding Police clearance Certificate

I have not worked for the same employer in last 10 year, do I still have to get Police certificate from flag authority?

I have worked on Panama Flag registered ships for cumulative total of 20 months.

Kindly advice

Hello all...its regarding Police clearance Certificate

I have not worked for the same employer in last 10 year, do I still have to get Police certificate from flag authority?

I have worked on Panama Flag registered ships for cumulative total of 20 months.

Kindly advice

Strictly reading the requirements where it refers to cumulative time with employer, rather then the flag it's said, I'd say that no you don't need it. If you could get it, it might save you some headache if they later ask for it though.

Strictly reading the requirements where it refers to cumulative time with employer, rather then the flag it's said, I'd say that no you don't need it. If you could get it, it might save you some headache if they later ask for it though.

Thanx CaptR

Dear Captain R,

Is it possible to obtain police clearance certificate from Panama, Singapore, Denmark or British authorities as I have sailed on these flagged vessels in last 10 years. Please advise procedures to obtain PCC from these countries will be helpful.

Dear Captain R,

Is it possible to obtain police clearance certificate from Panama, Singapore, Denmark or British authorities as I have sailed on these flagged vessels in last 10 years. Please advise procedures to obtain PCC from these countries will be helpful.

Hi Niraj,

Based on my recent experience, it is fairly easy to Britain the British PCC, Panama not possible.

British PCC can be sought online itself, no physical forms required, link :

https://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

As for Singapore PCC , it is only issued to people working here on employment pass. I also have been working here in singapore since 2013, for which they issued a PCC. However, for the I was sailing on singapore flag ships, I provided the Case Officer with the email communication I had with Singapore police dept, which stated that they are unable to provide it.

Same with Panama, I approached the consulate here in singapore by phone and mail, which confirmed that the PCC can only be issued to a person residing in Panama.

For the Danish PCC, you may have to wait for a reply from someone experienced with getting one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Good Day All

I was on this forum a couple of years Ago, I mentioned that I was trying to get through my Chiefs, which I am now in possession of, then apply for a Visa. My Partner and I have successfully got a sub class 189 Visa.

I have been applying for Job after Job in Australia, but to no avail. I am not expecting any company to pay for relocation costs but I find it quite a big leap in the Dark to pack up everything with out a job to go to, especially given the current market Climate.

I have a fair bit of experience as an OOW and a DPO, and after a Probationary trip iam ready to go 1st or Chief SDPO, I would even take just a standard 2/O Job to get back to Australia. I am also about 3 months Sea time away from being able to sit my Masters.

I have been emailing a lot of people and companies with CV's, and I really don't want to go down the road of basically harassing people to get at the very least, a Response.

Can anyone help me? I am also a Massive Tim Tam Feind and I don't like paying over the odds for them on Amazon.

All the Best

Peter

Good Day All

I was on this forum a couple of years Ago, I mentioned that I was trying to get through my Chiefs, which I am now in possession of, then apply for a Visa. My Partner and I have successfully got a sub class 189 Visa.

I have been applying for Job after Job in Australia, but to no avail. I am not expecting any company to pay for relocation costs but I find it quite a big leap in the Dark to pack up everything with out a job to go to, especially given the current market Climate.

I have a fair bit of experience as an OOW and a DPO, and after a Probationary trip iam ready to go 1st or Chief SDPO, I would even take just a standard 2/O Job to get back to Australia. I am also about 3 months Sea time away from being able to sit my Masters.

I have been emailing a lot of people and companies with CV's, and I really don't want to go down the road of basically harassing people to get at the very least, a Response.

Can anyone help me? I am also a Massive Tim Tam Feind and I don't like paying over the odds for them on Amazon.

All the Best

Peter

Hi Peter,

Unfortunately I don't have very good news for you. The offshore oil and gas market here is pretty dismal, much like elsewhere, but the difference is that because of the high wages and costs of operating in Australia many of the companies move their ships outside Australia as soon as they no longer on charter. Most of the construction jobs have come to a grinding halt. I am on a ship at the moment where the Master, C/O, and OOW's all have Master Unlimited COC's and DP Unlimited, all with experience in higher ranks, we are taking this ship to Asia where we will hand it over to a European/British crew and afterwards will almost certainly be made redundant. All of the offshore operators here, including the one I work for, have made a lot of redundancies and Farstad (one of the biggest operators) now has the remaining personnel going onto job sharing. It's a very different market to 2 years ago where you'd have easily found work with your experience. To compound the issue, many of the coastal ships have been replaced by foreign crewed vessels on special permits by the Australian government (this is not a popular move and has enraged the unions) in addition with the decline in resources there are also a lot of experienced shore side personnel including marine pilots looking for work. Recent job adverts for Marine Pilots and Surveyors have had hundreds of well qualified applicants...

I am seriously looking at a move back to the UK in the very near future, unfortunate because we absolutely love Australia. However, working overseas for non Australian companies isn't a real option because we are taxed on ours earnings as a seafarer as long as we reside here.

My suggestion at the moment would be to come over for a holiday to activate your visas and wait until things pick up in a few years time. When things do pick up, I am certain there will be a lot of work again and things will be good!

Sorry I don't have better news.

Hi Captain R

Thanks for the Update, I had assumed as much, I do have a job at present but there are dangerous rumors about having to pay Brazilian Tax, which is starting to make it not worth working offshore unfortunately. In any case I am going to continue getting my sea time in and at the very least will be able to get through my Masters end of/ start of next year.

I did manage to activate my visa in October when it came through, they gave me 10 days to activate it and I was on a ship with a few days left on board, and the weekend after I was due off on the Wednesday, I had my mothers wedding, So we flew for 20 hours there and back (40 Hours), just for a day out in Freo, racked up about 50 odd hours of flying to get it, I hope it won't be for nothing and the Market improves and I am able to get back, my Mrs does gives me no end of grief about the cold and its the height of summer here.

All the Best

Peter

Hi Captain R

Thanks for the Update, I had assumed as much, I do have a job at present but there are dangerous rumors about having to pay Brazilian Tax, which is starting to make it not worth working offshore unfortunately. In any case I am going to continue getting my sea time in and at the very least will be able to get through my Masters end of/ start of next year.

I did manage to activate my visa in October when it came through, they gave me 10 days to activate it and I was on a ship with a few days left on board, and the weekend after I was due off on the Wednesday, I had my mothers wedding, So we flew for 20 hours there and back (40 Hours), just for a day out in Freo, racked up about 50 odd hours of flying to get it, I hope it won't be for nothing and the Market improves and I am able to get back, my Mrs does gives me no end of grief about the cold and its the height of summer here.

All the Best

Peter

Hi Peter,

Good that you managed to activate, but I know what you mean about having to fly for such a short period. One of the issues I encountered when I was trying to get work in Australia whilst outside was that nobody was interested unless you were here, ready and available, and when I did manage to get a bite I had to fly back and forth at my own expensive to attend the interviews, medicals and tests that were put in place (mostly flying in early morning, out in the afternoon)...

My employer also has ships in Brazil, but certainly a lot less then they used to have. On the positive they have managed to pick up some work overseas and bring ships out of lay up. I do have a friend however who is a very experienced Drill Ship Senior DPO and is struggling for work. I've never seen the industry as depressed as this where it seems even container fleets are quiet.

Oh well, life is one big adventure!

Hi CaptainR

Yes the industry is very depressed to say the Least, I am even looking shore side with the Impending changes they are about to bring in within my company, Although its probably worth hanging on here for a bit longer, I dare say that I don't have it anywhere as bad as some people I know. At least I have a job and being paid in USD with the Brexit Crisis has given me a small salary bump :).

All the Best and I will keep you Posted if an Australian Employed believes I am Worthy :D