Can we move to Aus while im waiting for 457 approval ??

JULIE RYCROFT

I am just about to lodge my 457 visa, but me and my partner need to get over to Perth at the beginning of September as our dog comes out of quarantine on the 12th. Are we allowed to go over on a tourist visa while we wait approval of the visa. This is so stressful as the company have really dragged their feet with this lodgement.

You sent your dog here before getting your visa? Wow, I hope your application is already lodged and processes quickly and that you know 100% it is going to be accepted.

I believe that you can come over on a tourist visa, but there are conditions attached.Good luck.

I don't get it?? You sent your dog, before you had a visa ??

I don't know the outcomes of coming on a tourist visa if you have another application going on.

3 years ago we were in the same boat re applying for a 457 visa. I left my dogs in the UK, till I knew all was good here. Our dogs arrived 9months after us.

457 visa is only a visa allowing you to work in Aus, not stay.

but that info is no good to your dog.

i am in Perth, please, if you need any help with your dog, ie your not here in time, then let me know. I am a big animal lover, I will gladly help collect, look after your furbaby until you get here.

Ps...how did you mange to send your dog, without any visa numbers etc??

Well as quarantine is only ten days now, I assume you have not actually sent your dog yet. Still I find it quite bizarre that you have booked him in before you have your visa.

And to your question, no you cannot move to Australia before you get a visa that allows you to move there. A tourist visa does not permit you to move to Australia.

Get visa. Organise move. That is the way to do things.

I thought the quarantine was closed in Perth and the animals went to Sydney or Melbourne now>

There is no quarantine at Perth. But pet shippers will have taken this into account and arranged onward shipping,

im assuming so now, because perth has been without for nearly three years. I know because it just happened as ours were coming over.

I had to pay extra to get ours from Sydney

There is no quarantine at Perth. But pet shippers will have taken this into account and arranged onward shipping,

im assuming so now, because perth has been without for nearly three years. I know because it just happened as ours were coming over.

I had to pay extra to get ours from Sydney

I believe that Sydney is closing soon too. It was a god awful place, the standard of accommodation made me want to cry when I visited.

Well as quarantine is only ten days now, I assume you have not actually sent your dog yet. Still I find it quite bizarre that you have booked him in before you have your visa.

And to your question, no you cannot move to Australia before you get a visa that allows you to move there. A tourist visa does not permit you to move to Australia.

Get visa. Organise move. That is the way to do things.

I thought that. So dog not due to fly for another month?

Julie....have you booked your dog? When is your dog leaving??

please come on and say if you need help at this end with your dog.

i will happily look after your dog, sorry if I've come across as harsh.

here to help you, no more questions asked!!

I thought that. So dog not due to fly for another month?

Julie....have you booked your dog? When is your dog leaving??

please come on and say if you need help at this end with your dog.

i will happily look after your dog, sorry if I've come across as harsh.

here to help you, no more questions asked!!

That is so nice of you.

I too am glad to hear that the dog has not flown yet either. I was worried for the OP.

I believe that Sydney is closing soon too. It was a god awful place, the standard of accommodation made me want to cry when I visited.

Ahh. Don't say it. Both my furbabies got sick in there, and had to be moved to the isolation kennels.

Why are they closing all the centres??

Perth closes just as mine were due to land, this they said was because of bushfires....this was autumn, very windy and rainy.

it must have been a ploy, cos they never reopened.

whats with the Sydney kennels?? And why don't they let walkers in anymore ??

Ahh. Don't say it. Both my furbabies got sick in there, and had to be moved to the isolation kennels.

Why are they closing all the centres??

Perth closes just as mine were due to land, this they said was because of bushfires....this was autumn, very windy and rainy.

it must have been a ploy, cos they never reopened.

whats with the Sydney kennels?? And why don't they let walkers in anymore ??

I wonder if they are closing the centres because the quarantine time is much shorter now and there is less demand. Although they did hike up the prices that more or less made up for the shorter duration.

I thought my cat was going to die in Sydney quarantine. he was very unwell when I went in and then out of the blue one of the assistants casually told me he would probably die. I paid for a private vet to go in every day from then on and he made it.

I wonder if they are closing the centres because the quarantine time is much shorter now and there is less demand. Although they did hike up the prices that more or less made up for the shorter duration.

I thought my cat was going to die in Sydney quarantine. he was very unwell when I went in and then out of the blue one of the assistants casually told me he would probably die. I paid for a private vet to go in every day from then on and he made it.

That must have been awful. We too had to have a vet in, but it was the quarantine vet and she was lovely, was the one that said our dogs needed to go into isolation (the kennel management Didnt want to to move them). Phoned us, and give us updates.

we did have to pay for the vet, and the medication, which I thought was bad, because we paid for all the anti virus stuff for them leaving the UK . They caught what they caught in the quarantine kennels, nowhere else:confused:

Hi, my dog leaves the country on the 31st of August, he wont come out of quarantine till sep 12th, we had to book that date due to the fact that sydney is closing and the quarantine was booked up, were just hoping we get the approval before that, I have been told that they are being processed quite quickly at the moment, we were also told that we wuold be lodging our visas the first week of July and that never happened, the company I have my job with dont seem to be in a rush at getting things done, I have friends in Perth who will be helping us, but thanks for the offer, fingers crossed we will get there asap, I still feel that my question has not been answered, a lot of conflicting answers, Ill contact the people dealing with my visa

Hi, my dog leaves the country on the 31st of August, he wont come out of quarantine till sep 12th, we had to book that date due to the fact that sydney is closing and the quarantine was booked up, were just hoping we get the approval before that, I have been told that they are being processed quite quickly at the moment, we were also told that we wuold be lodging our visas the first week of July and that never happened, the company I have my job with dont seem to be in a rush at getting things done, I have friends in Perth who will be helping us, but thanks for the offer, fingers crossed we will get there asap, I still feel that my question has not been answered, a lot of conflicting answers, Ill contact the people dealing with my visa

I answered your question.

You cannot "move" to Australia without having a visa that enables you to "move" to Australia, in this case, the 457 visa. You cannot move on a tourist visa, this is not moving, this is just a holiday.

And for the love of god, do not put your dog on a plane until you have your visa in your hand. You do realise that they are not always approved don't you? That is what the approval process is for.

I second what Bungo said. The visa approval process is exactly what it says - it's an application submitted for approval. It could also be denied!

If the company isn't in a hurry to get things done, I'd be even more worried. How many companies will fill a job vacancy they're in no hurry to fill? The longer it takes, the more likely it is to fall through. Companies can go bust or get taken over without any notice at all.

I say this as someone who's been through it. It was when we were much younger and ready for adventure! My oh got the chance of a job in South Africa. He accepted and we moved, assured by the company that the visa was just a formality. We took a lease on a flat and bought our furniture (you should have seen my lounge suite - it was perfect!). After three months, we were almost broke - we just barely had enough to buy tickets home. Still no visa.

My oh went to the company to ask for a loan or an advance on his salary, otherwise we'd have to go home. I will always remember his face when he got back. They wouldn't give him an advance on salary because the visa was still awaiting approval and there was "no certainty" it would be approved. They didn't seem worried, and in fact we started to wonder whether something had happened and they didn't need him any more.

Long story short, we had to abandon everything and fly home with nothing.

I am just about to lodge my 457 visa, but me and my partner need to get over to Perth at the beginning of September as our dog comes out of quarantine on the 12th. Are we allowed to go over on a tourist visa while we wait approval of the visa. This is so stressful as the company have really dragged their feet with this lodgement.

Julie

You can get a tourist visa, but you can also get a business short term visa (3 months max). There will be some limitations I am sure, but it will be more applicable than a tourist visa if you plan to work.

hope it works out for you

Hi thanks for all you advice, hopefully the visa will be approved by the end of August/beginning of September, I dont start my job till October, its in a hospital so Im not too worried about the possability of it going bust. I have all my documentation ect ready just waiting to apply hopefully Monday

Hi thanks for all you advice, hopefully the visa will be approved by the end of August/beginning of September, I dont start my job till October, its in a hospital so Im not too worried about the possability of it going bust. I have all my documentation ect ready just waiting to apply hopefully Monday

... but do make sure the position has full funding approved by head office, in that case. That's the other thing that can go wrong! Departments need staff but funding can be slow coming through. I once got a tip-off from a friend of mine for a good part-time job in her department - they went ahead with recruiting, but in the end it took them another six months before the funding was approved - so they had to withdraw the offer.

I'd just wait to send the dog, Sydney is closing but they'll fly animals into Melbourne and then forward them onto where you want. We've just had a quote for our two cars going next year and the domestic flight was only about £300 for both of them. Much cheaper than risking having to put the dog in a kennel until your visa is approved, or worse still your visa doesn't go through and you have to fly the dog back again.

Julie

You can get a tourist visa, but you can also get a business short term visa (3 months max). There will be some limitations I am sure, but it will be more applicable than a tourist visa if you plan to work.

There is no such thing. Or rather, if you mean the 456 visa this is for attending conferences, trade shows and business meetings in Australia. It most definitely does not permit taking paid employment.

You sent your dog here before getting your visa? Wow, I hope your application is already lodged and processes quickly and that you know 100% it is going to be accepted.

I believe that you can come over on a tourist visa, but there are conditions attached.Good luck.

Wow indeed. Never heard of such confidence before. Very surprised that an animal can be transported prior to visa being issued. A visitor visa would not be acceptable surely?

That's a real worry that you have not even applied. Hope it all works out for you. Visas can take a while and hospitals can change their minds.

Julie

If you're referring to a 400 visa, this isn't an option as it's for short-term non-ongoing work. If she's applying for a 457 visa, then it's obviously not non-ongoing work and the 400 would be refused.

Archived