Which is best - National Trust or English Heritage?

Marisawright

Do they have a list of places/ homes/castles they both control? Perhaps if they do you could have a look and see which offers you more of what you like. Just an idea. Hope you are settling a litttle more now Marisa.

Do they have a list of places/ homes/castles they both control? Perhaps if they do you could have a look and see which offers you more of what you like. Just an idea. Hope you are settling a litttle more now Marisa.

Thanks! As others said, we are feeling a bit better now we've got a car and can get out and about more. Although that basically means we are closing our eyes to our local community and therefore not going to make friends! Not that we'd want to - we've met a few normal people in our block, but the whole suburb - and most of Southampton - seems to consist of dole bludgers and bogans. In some ways, being able to travel to other towns is depressing in itself, because it just highlights how bad this area is!

However it's only a temporary thing - I'm resigned to the fact that we're not going to get settled for at least another six months - we're going to spend that time productively, trying to work out where in the UK will suit us better.

Edited by Marisawright

I would have a look at the websites. I am a life member for both -a little bit of a waste now we are in Australia :-( . Would check locations of some of the larger properties - they tend to cluster and some areas are a bit thin on the ground. Overall I think NT offers better value for money as entrance fees are more. NT is also a bit more flexible with properties - beautiful gardens and houses so great on a rainy day too. Whichever you choose you will have some lovely days out - probably one of the things my family and I will miss the most (after friends and family of course!)

Thanks! As others said, we are feeling a bit better now we've got a car and can get out and about more. Although that basically means we are closing our eyes to our local community and therefore not going to make friends! Not that we'd want to - we've met a few normal people in our block, but the whole suburb - and most of Southampton - seems to consist of dole bludgers and bogans. In some ways, being able to travel to other towns is depressing in itself, because it just highlights how bad this area is!

However it's only a temporary thing - I'm resigned to the fact that we're not going to get settled for at least another six months - we're going to spend that time productively, trying to work out where in the UK will suit us better.

That sounds really positive using your time to work out what place would suit you better. Six months will fly past hopefully by then you'll have found the place for you. Good luck.

In my experience NT is mainly stately homes and gardens with some good coastal areas and some places of general interest. Free parking at some of these sites is a good saver alone. I always associate English Heritage with castles and ancient monuments so there is relatively little in the south east of England.

Glad you're starting to see the wood from the trees and finding other places you do like - didn't you consider Bristol at one point?

Yes we did, but rentals are much higher in Bristol than in either Bournemouth or Southampton. What's weird is that it seems cheaper to buy in Bristol than in either of those places - makes no sense.

Are you committed to the south Marisa? If not, I'd have a good hard look at York. Great city with lots to do, wonderful people, and much cheaper than the equivalent (i.e. Bath) down south.

We went for the South because most of my family is down here, spread from Exeter to Croydon! However family was not our main reason for moving, so it's not set in stone. As we're understanding more about house and rental prices, we can see that moving north would make a lot more sense (and my oh is realising that the landscape up there attracts him more - he finds the rolling hills round here a little bland!).