Dental - where to go for cheaper dental?

Ravenswood

Australian dentists are far too expensive and I have heard that overseas dentists in Asia are just as good, if not better in some cases, and charge half the amount. So, you get a holiday and your dental work done and come back saving huge amounts!

But, I need to know if anyone has a recommendation before I leap into the unknown.

Thanks

As a dental hygienist/therapist now living in oz I'd say the standard of dentistry is generally higher here than the uk. Yes it is expensive but at least if something goes wrong with any of the treatment you are able to go back & get it corrected. However if you go abroad who will then maintain that work plus if there's a problem you're a long way away to get it sorted out. Bear in mind if you have say implants carried out abroad will the components be compatible with what is generally used in Australia?

This is my story. Broke a crown, post of crown cracked root into which it was fixed. Dentist removed both, took impressions for temporary plate to hold said tooth. All-up $2400. Can't wear temp plate as gives me a ridiculous lisp and difficult to eat with a thick lump of plastic behind my front teeth, so have a lovely gap, much to the amusement of my work colleagues.

Advised inplant would cost a further $8000. Permanent plate, hopefully less intrusive, wouldn't be much less.

It is likely that another crown maybe on its last legs. Lot of money if you add it up. Apparently I will also need new impressions too as originals just had one purpose for temp plate.

Understand you are defending your profession, Gumster, but the ridiculous costs cannot be justified.

Why don't you get extras health insurAnce for dental then? Would have paid for most of that! Premiums won't be that much if just for dental!

Why don't you get extras health insurAnce for dental then? Would have paid for most of that! Premiums won't be that much if just for dental!

I don't think health insurance works like that. Their would be a waiting period of at least 12 months plus a limit to the cover for major work of somewhere around $1200. A lot of people nowadays wonder why they pay for extras.

I have heard that dentists in some parts of Asia do a fantastic job, but I prefer to see my dentist here in Sydney. My brother arrived in Sydney and promptly broke a tooth and I found him an emergency dentist (though I wish I had chonse somebody else having picked 'The Gentle Dentist!) He needs some more and expensive work which I think he is going to have done in Malaysia, where he now lives.

This is advice from the Aust Dental Assoc.

http://www.ada.org.au/oralhealth/dentaltourism.aspx

I had a root canal done in Bali by a dental company that only works with expats (he is too expensive for locals). All up a BRILLIANT experience from start to finish. $2,500 ++ in Oz and it cost me $200.... He even did an ex-ray for that, despite the fact I had an ex-ray from my Ozzie dentist.

I was literally eating ribs that evening (a few hours later)

I fitted this around a family holiday, so no extra costs involved.... I think it was Bali 911 dental clinic... I would definitely use them again...

I had a root canal done in Bali by a dental company that only works with expats (he is too expensive for locals). All up a BRILLIANT experience from start to finish. $2,500 ++ in Oz and it cost me $200.... He even did an ex-ray for that, despite the fact I had an ex-ray from my Ozzie dentist.

I fitted this around a family holiday, so no extra costs involved.... I think it was Bali 911 dental clinic... I would definitely use them again...

So he exposed you to further dental radiation despite already having the xray from your previous dentist? Yeah, sounds great!

Were the endodontic files single use as they should be?

So he exposed you to further dental radiation despite already having the xray from your previous dentist? Yeah, sounds great!

Everyone to their own. He did a really good, professional job - It's ridiculous how much Ozzie dentists charge and then spread fear into patients about lower cost Asian dentists. There are bad dentists in Asia, that's for sure. But there are also bad dentists in Oz.

I found a good one that came highly recommended. Worked well for me.

I don't think health insurance works like that. Their would be a waiting period of at least 12 months plus a limit to the cover for major work of somewhere around $1200. A lot of people nowadays wonder why they pay for extras.
Waiting period of 2 months, many providers waive the waiting period, a lot of work is covered under general dental so is unlimited on the policy I have and yes major dental is capped but you dont need major work every year do you!

I had root canal done in Sydney 3 years ago. $800 from start to finish.

The reviews are a little mixed for this dentist.

This is my story. Broke a crown, post of crown cracked root into which it was fixed. Dentist removed both, took impressions for temporary plate to hold said tooth. All-up $2400. Can't wear temp plate as gives me a ridiculous lisp and difficult to eat with a thick lump of plastic behind my front teeth, so have a lovely gap, much to the amusement of my work colleagues.

Advised inplant would cost a further $8000. Permanent plate, hopefully less intrusive, wouldn't be much less.

It is likely that another crown maybe on its last legs. Lot of money if you add it up. Apparently I will also need new impressions too as originals just had one purpose for temp plate.

Where about are you that sounds excessive even for WA! Try DB dental, Jindalee, Joondalup, Craigie, Innaloo, dont know if anywhere else, find them quite reasonable

Will do - would rather get it done locally, but just don't want to pay crazy prices.

Where about are you that sounds excessive even for WA! Try DB dental, Jindalee, Joondalup, Craigie, Innaloo, dont know if anywhere else, find them quite reasonable

Either the east coast is a lot cheaper than Perth, or dental cost have sky-rocketed in three years.

OH, me and the two lads have been going every 6 months (for checkups) to the same dentist for over 20 years. I think I may have received a discount :cute:

My OH went a few months ago to our closest one. He'd not been for many years. He needed ( chose ) an extraction , over canal work, had the check up, X-rays and scale and polish for $480 , after PHI, he paid $102. My son just went for an orthodontist assessment and X-rays, these were bulk billed, so no payment at all.

May be worth doing the drive to Mandurah for that. I really have been ripped-off - big time!!!

My OH went a few months ago to our closest one. He'd not been for many years. He needed ( chose ) an extraction , over canal work, had the check up, X-rays and scale and polish for $480 , after PHI, he paid $102. My son just went for an orthodontist assessment and X-rays, these were bulk billed, so no payment at all.

Archived