a 2nd working holiday visa? if you have proof you didnt work on your first? help!

thelaurakate

Hi Does anybody have any experience with this. My cousin came here last year on her first WHV with the intention of staying for a year. She stayed for 6 weeks, didn't work at all and had to go back to the uk due to a family incident. Such a waste! but had to be done.

Is there anyway she could get her first WHV again? she cant come on a tourist as cant work obv and doesn't have enough money to support herself for the whole trip. She would love the chance of another WHV.. can anybody advice? many thanks

really? no way around it? that sucks ! she wants to come back so bad, so frustrating as she didn't even work or stay for long for that matter

nope, you only get the one. I've applied for one before and won't use it before it expires. I only get another one because I haven't actually entered the country. If I had went and then came home I wouldn't get another one. When a family incident etc happens all you can do is go home and then come back within that year but I know that's not always possible

I don't know if I'm just having a blonde moment but what do you mean open to abuse?

Straight out of the packet I'd say type of blond moment. I was going to suggest to think about it and see if we arrive at the same thought. OK what do you think about someone coming over on a WHV and claiming not to work but working cash in hand so no record. Could be for a family member or elsewhere no matter. But whatever it appears strange to bother to come over and such a visa and not utilise it.

Oh dear. Read above then and you'll get the hang of what I'm about.

No I have already read the above (why would I comment if I have not read the thread?) and do not know what on earth you are on about.

Read the post above the above one as you obviously did not prior to posting this.

Did you read anyone's post but your own? OP's cousin came to Aus but was called back to the UK by a 'family incident' after 6 weeks.

Not sure why anybody would apply for one enter Australia and not use it. All sorts of open to abuse scenario's spring to mind there.

She was only here for 6 weeks!! I knwo several people who have come on WHVs and holidayed for a few weeks before looking for work. Other people report not being able to get work in a field they want, Some get the WHV and just find they have enou cash not to need to work but have the WHV up their sleeve just in case.

I have a friend from Aus in the Uk at oresent doing just that - she has found that by bei careful she doesn't need to work, but its good to have the option if needed,

Can't hinestly see why you feel its abuse of the visa rules just because someone doesn't wirk-especially if they were only here for 6 weeks!

Did you read anyone's post but your own? OP's cousin came to Aus but was called back to the UK by a 'family incident' after 6 weeks.

Sometimes I di indulge myself thanks very much. In this instance I was writing in general with regards to why a second WHV is not granted. People giving different reasons while terminating ahead of schedule a WHV would likely prove an administrative nightmare considering the vast numbers involved these days and tall stories likely be in abundance.

Sometimes I di indulge myself thanks very much. In this instance I was writing in general with regards to why a second WHV is not granted. People giving different reasons while terminating ahead of schedule a WHV would likely prove an administrative nightmare considering the vast numbers involved these days and tall stories likely be in abundance.

I concur that 'family incident' seems to be a catch all for why people often don't meet the conditions of their visa.

She was only here for 6 weeks!! I knwo several people who have come on WHVs and holidayed for a few weeks before looking for work. Other people report not being able to get work in a field they want, Some get the WHV and just find they have enou cash not to need to work but have the WHV up their sleeve just in case.

I have a friend from Aus in the Uk at oresent doing just that - she has found that by bei careful she doesn't need to work, but its good to have the option if needed,

Can't hinestly see why you feel its abuse of the visa rules just because someone doesn't wirk-especially if they were only here for 6 weeks!

Fine. Then once used that option it is finished. A WHV is what it suggests and shouldn't be used for other purposes IMO. It is already used as a way to enter to seek out permanent employment or sponsorship.

Of course you can holiday for a few weeks or months and take up work at will or not at the case may be. Can't the participant return home and return within the visa period in time to do their farming work and go on to the second year? I mean how long does the person usually need to be out of the country prior to returning?

I concur that 'family incident' seems to be a catch all for why people often don't meet the conditions of their visa.

Without known the details (the person may have had a valid reason or not, but too vague) and if so then sadly one of the minority where circumstances intervened to their determent. This doesn't mean relationship issues or the cat dying or other personal issues that require extended time out of country during validation period of WHV.

Without known the details (the person may have had a valid reason or not, but too vague) and if so then sadly one of the minority where circumstances intervened to their determent. This doesn't mean relationship issues or the cat dying or other personal issues that require extended time out of country during validation period of WHV.

there is no "validation period for a WHV". Yes the holder can leave and return within the year that they hold the WHV -if they choose not to, then they lose it, they can't get another, thats the rules.

But the rules do not state that you HAVE to work, only that you are allowed to work. So I don't really understand how you can accuse someone of abusing the WHV just because they decided to go home early for "personal reasons. "

Incidentally, I met a girl here on A WHV not long back, she had been here for 2 months, planned to start work in the next couple of weeks, but said she was now going home for "personal reasons". After we had shared a few beers it turned out her brother had been dianosed terminal cancer and had not long to live. So don't be too quick to assume "personal reasons" are frivolous ones.

My friend is out on a WHV at the moment and she too had to rush home last year when her brother had a serious tumor on his brain. She returned to Oz with the plan to continue working but then with little notice when she thought he was recovering he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. So yes, I also agree, we don't know people's reasons. My friend stayed at home to support her mum through the funeral and slightly afterwards as all her family lived abroad. I am sure she would have loved to have used every day of that visa but some things are unpredictable and do take up a large proportion of the time given expectantly. I think it's fair to say dont judge unless you know someone.

Read the post above the above one as you obviously did not prior to posting this.

I can assure you I read the thread, the whole thread, it really isn't that long and my attention span is quite sufficient. There is no abuse and nothing to be gained by getting a WHV and only using it for a few weeks. Unfortunate personal circumstances will not change the fact that a second WHV will not be available and therefore no reason for anyone to make up stories - if that is what you are suggesting, although to be honest still no idea what you are on about. Why don't you just spit it out if you have a problem.

there is no "validation period for a WHV". Yes the holder can leave and return within the year that they hold the WHV -if they choose not to, then they lose it, they can't get another, thats the rules.

But the rules do not state that you HAVE to work, only that you are allowed to work. So I don't really understand how you can accuse someone of abusing the WHV just because they decided to go home early for "personal reasons. "

Incidentally, I met a girl here on A WHV not long back, she had been here for 2 months, planned to start work in the next couple of weeks, but said she was now going home for "personal reasons". After we had shared a few beers it turned out her brother had been dianosed terminal cancer and had not long to live. So don't be too quick to assume "personal reasons" are frivolous ones.

Well obviously there is a validation period that being the duration of the visa once utilised.I stand by my original point. If coming here on a WHV it is up to the individual if they use it or not for that purpose naturally. But if not that's it. Come back as a tourist or apply to migrate or another visa on offer. There are stipulations around the visa with regards to age and it is hardly an on going entitlement.

I have already mentioned those that return for reasons of a serious nature and may well be unlucky. The time frame though would allow probably most to return if so desire and personal reasons may or may not be of a frivolous nature. So I assume nothing.

I am also aware from when I was in that circle a couple of decades back the numbers that overstayed their visa for pure convenience without much concern. No idea how wide spread it is today, but another matter but does under line the nature of some on the road.

I can assure you I read the thread, the whole thread, it really isn't that long and my attention span is quite sufficient. There is no abuse and nothing to be gained by getting a WHV and only using it for a few weeks. Unfortunate personal circumstances will not change the fact that a second WHV will not be available and therefore no reason for anyone to make up stories - if that is what you are suggesting, although to be honest still no idea what you are on about. Why don't you just spit it out if you have a problem.

I have spat it out and too bad not to you liking but there you go. So you would have read then that it was a general comment on the WHV and not a personal judgement on an individual to which neither you nor I have any idea to what personal circumstances may mean and neither do we need to. The WHV is of duration and one could reasonably expect most would probably be able to return in said time frame.

There are few things in life where I can think that at times some will/may be unfairly treated. I have just paid $1600 as a deposit towards a long holiday in early 17. Now that deposit it was clearly stated will not be retuned for any reason. A lot can happen over such a time frame but I paid up with that knowledge.

Archived