Backpack or suitcase?

Guest51810

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a holdall on wheels and it was the worst thing I ever bought. Because the ends are soft, the weight isn't balanced properly so you can't leave it sitting on its wheels - it will fall over. I'm still in favour of a decent wheely suitcase - why would a holdall be better anyway?

Agree 100%

A semi ridgid wheeled suitcase is my choice but you can't tell from a photo if a particular one is good enough!

Shall I take you shopping in Glasgow and put you out your misery??

Can I just hand you my bank card and you can get me a case, insurance and whatever else I need :laugh: It's definitely hard to tell from a photo. I googled Tripp lite suitcases and most of the reviews were good

They do seem good but is there a reason you're going for a hard shell suitcase? They are usually more expensive in my experience, they're often heavier, and because they're rigid, you can't squeeze in extra bits and pieces so you'll have less room. If you're not carrying lots of breakable stuff (which you won't be - don't take toiletries), then you don't need the protection of a hard case.

The one you show is only 62 litres. That seems too small to me.

I just had a look on Amazon and am about to eat my words about holdalls. I found several by Eastpak which get great reviews. They look like they have two small feet at the front, so they shouldn't be so inclined to fall over (which was my only problem with the one I had).

Here's just one example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eastpak-Suitcases-EK662_36G--Multicolour-liters/dp/B00HQYEVJO

Edited by Marisawright

Stats are below :). I'm really not planning on taking a lot so medium sized will do me fine! This case will just be for clothes and the like. Valubles will be in my over the shoulder carry on.

• Type: Medium Suitcase
  • Guarantee: 5 Year Guarantee
  • Colour: CORAL
  • Material: 100% Polypropylene
  • Wheels: 4 Wheels
  • Handles: Retractable pull handle and top and side grab handles
  • Internal Features: Polyester lining, packing straps, divider and a small zip pocket
  • Security Features: Combination TSA Lock
  • Capacity: 66 litres
  • Dimensions: Height: 65cm, Width: 45cm, Depth: 30cm
  • Weight: 4 KG

Guest The Pom Queen
Can I just hand you my bank card and you can get me a case, insurance and whatever else I need :laugh: It's definitely hard to tell from a photo. I googled Tripp lite suitcases and most of the reviews were good

Just take a carrier bag you will be fine :laugh:

Guest The Pom Queen

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30979[/ATTACH]

Lol I'd say great minds but I think yours is probably greater than mine. Seriously Stacey, I would probably just buy things here as you go. Don't carry too much around as it can tie you down. We always use the old samsonite type holdalls, they have lasted us 15 years and are still going strong. Hey you could even buy a bag when you get here.

There's nothing that a credit card and a passport wont cure so how about being hugely liberated and doing a Jack Reacher - get on a plane with your purse and your passport and buy stuff when you need it?

Honestly, dont try and overthink things - that way madness lies!

You need less than if you were going for a two week holiday that's for sure - most people don't wash clothes on holiday and the 'backpacker' dress code is rather more relaxed, you won't be able to eat in fancy restaurants so you don't need fancy restaurant clothes!

One skirt, one pair of trousers, a pair of shorts and half a dozen tops and knickers, wear another outfit to travel in and you're sorted - make sure they are all wash and wear fabrics so they dry quickly and don't need ironing easy peasy - choose a colour theme so everything matches - my 'RTW' wardrobe was khaki, brown and purple with some blacks and whites thrown in. Pair of Merrel's on my feet and a pair of walking sandals in my bag (plus some gold thongs in my hand luggage for the plane and to glam things up :))

Had to buy some new stuff in Perth as I was so bloody cold! So shipped a package of summer clothes home - we went in June and were heading to Sydney/Auckland/Queenstown next so it wasn't going to get warmer! Embarrassingly I had also put on so much weight a couple of things no longer fit so they got sent home too :)

Take cheap stuff and replace/dump as you need - £130 on a case buys an awful lot of clothes in KMart!!!!!