Backpack or suitcase?

Guest51810

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I would get a backpack, when moving around getting the bus - especially when staying in hostels going up and down stairs a backpack is easier.

If you want to go for something with wheels a split roller would be good, I have a couple of Roxy ones, the 110L one is massive (far too big for what your looking for). I got a cheap 65L one from eBay last year it's quite good.

Backpack is no good for me I can't carry much weight on my back :( although I do second what lebour... Has said, I got a £23 rucksack off eBay for Thailand and it's still completely intacked after a month of lugging it around Asia lol. Kayleigh I think mine will come Thursday or Friday! I hope Thursday cos I'm at a festival all weekend so I won't see it until Monday :(

I wouldn't get a wheeled backpack...if you go have a bad back those wheels digging into it when carrying 20kg on your back is going to make it worse. Plus those backpacks with the small ones that zip on the front, I had one of those and the small pack at to be half empty before you could get it zipped on, and you'll end up wearing it on your front more with the big one on the back better just getting a decent little day one.

I agree with you again!! I had one for some camping trip when I was about 11, it wasn't good! I'd never get anything other than a suitcase for travelling around now! Obviously it's personal preference but I love a suitcase, u can lay everything flat and no creased clothes!! I'm a backpacker with a suitcase attitude hahaha

I wouldn't get a wheeled backpack...if you go have a bad back those wheels digging into it when carrying 20kg on your back is going to make it worse. Plus those backpacks with the small ones that zip on the front, I had one of those and the small pack at to be half empty before you could get it zipped on, and you'll end up wearing it on your front more with the big one on the back better just getting a decent little day one.

It depends whether you're talking about a backpack with wheels or a suitcase with back carrying straps - I have the latter and LOVE it. Mine also has the backpack that zips on the front and definitely doesn't have the problem yours did. I got mine for a RTW trip 7 years ago and it must have over 100 thousand air miles by now :)

If you are 'travelling' rather than 'backpacking' then there is rarely a situation where you want/need it on your back and suitcases are designed to be pulled or carried whereas a backpack can be really awkward to get on and off. There are a few circumstance where it was a bonus to have back pack straps on my suitcase - mainly when my son was really young and I needed both hands free for him but I'd agree if you are going to carry it for more than half an hour a proper backpack would be much more comfortable.

I think a lot depends on quality and fit to the person, that's probably why there are so many different opinions on this thread no wonder poor Stacey is confused :)

I have never been so confused in my whole life :laugh:

I think we've established that you can't have a backpack because your back won't cope with it, so that's one less option to confuse you. Hip belts and good design help, but a bad back is a bad back.

Also if you're little like me, you won't be able to get a big, fully-packed backpack off your back without help.

The only reason you're hesitating about a suitcase is that you had one that the wheels broke on - get over it! I've travelled all over the world with wheelie suitcases, including bumping over cobbles in Italy for miles, and that has never happened to me - you were just unlucky.

The next question is which one to get. Of course you're going to get lots of conflicting advice about which one is best, but really a suitcase is a suitcase and as long as it's big enough, it's probably OK. It's pretty obvious that buying a quality one on sale is going to be better value than a cheap one at full price. If you want reassurance, Amazon.co.uk has lots and lots of reviews on their site - sure, some of the good ones are fakes, but look at the negative ones and you'll soon rule out the bags that are not worth buying.

Edited by Marisawright

Well at least I bought a carry on.. Although it keeps putting the pic upside down

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30987[/ATTACH][/Q

[/qUOTE]

Now, I would've bought a backpack for my carry-on, not a holdall. Much better for wandering around the airport for hours after you've checked in your luggage - and you can also use it as a daypack or weekender pack once you're there.

image.jpgRight suitcases... I found this one. It's made by Samsonite so it should be a good one. Seems to have good reviews but just not sure about the material since some people have said the hard ones can crack but others say the soft ones can rip so can't really win. I've never yet had a suitcase ruined by baggage handlers but you never know

image.jpg