Backpack or suitcase?

Guest51810

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. Ill go have a proper look in glasgow next week and try on a few backpacks and look at sine of the luggage with wheels and make my mind up from there. I think I'll have to go to the gym and lift some weights :laugh:

Im off to thailand for a month next week and I'm taking a 65L backpack... its 3/4 full at the min and not too heavy.. however for oz im definitely taking a suitcase.. not a chance I'll be living out of a backpack, dreading the thought already :( i got the backpack off eBay for £23, its mega sturdy and good quality!!

Ps stacey are you any closer to booking flights? x

Edited by Alix Fisher

well actually I keep thinking it was expensive but two one ways was going to cost me £1000 minimum anyway.

A post on another flight reminded me - when I was flying back and forth from Australia to Aberdeen, I always booked a return Sydney to Amsterdam with the travel agent, then I booked a cheapie local flight myself from Amsterdam to Aberdeen and back. That saved me quite a lot of money plus it meant I didn't have to cope with any of the London airports. It did mean I had to collect my luggage at Amsterdam and transfer it myself but I was saving so much I didn't mind.

See if I was being quoted £700 for a return Id book it no problem at all. It's the fact I'm being quoted around £1100 for one when there's a good chance I won't want to go on it. I want to see New Zealand and Thailand If I can.

The only thing that's scaring me into getting a return is incase anybody else decides to pop their clogs this year or next year

I was exactly the same, should I get a return? It was driving me crazy. But i really think I am going to go Thailand and then there are places in Europe I want to travel on the way back. Whenever I get a bit of extra money in Oz or if I'm feeling a little bit flush(I know that's not going to happen that often lol) I'm going to transfer some back into my uk account. I know there will be transfer fees but I don't mind as I know that money will be out of my reach then I'll have some towards if not all on a flight home. The good thing about travelling on the way back is, as you're going to be breaking the flight up you use cheap domestic airlines for some parts also :-)

I've been like "what if such and such dies" or what if I run out of money etc. I really want to visit other places after Australia especially New Zealand but I just don't know wether that will only be for a month or wether I would fancy doing a whv there too. I've just got a feeling I'll love New Zealand but I could be wrong

So what is the overall verdict on Backpack Vs Suitcase? I'm wondering this myself at the moment.

I've also been looking at large holdall bags, seems to be the in-between cheap(ish) option.

I'm also on the verge of booking a one way flight to Bangkok!! I've decided I want to spend a little bit of time in Thailand to learn to dive and then head to Cambodia for a little while and then finally to Australia. Nervous but excited!!

Also.. Managed to find a flight to Bangkok for £290. Involves a 18 hour stopover in Colombo, Sri Lanka but I'm confident I can leave the airport and find somewhere to stay for that night and fly off to Thailand the next day!!