Are we kidding ourselves ?

bristolman

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was a rhetorical question and it is very obvious to us that no we aren't kidding ourselves, we have at least as good a lifestyle here as we had in Australia. That isn't to say it isn't different for others of course but for us and many others our lifestyle is great.

Lucky you, but petrol is still the same in pence as it is in cents, therefore half the price in Australia , irrespective of your personal fuel economy.

Just don't see how that can be so I quoted facts. Are you saying fuel, vat, university tuition fees, and new cars aren't double that of Australia in the uk, because that's not an opinion, that is a fact.

Look it is obvious you don't want to be where you are and that is fine. Some new cars are more, some are not. It doesn't matter if you can see it or not, for us it is true. We don't go to university. We are finding it cheaper as are many others. It

My eldest boy went to uni he dropped out his partner went uni took a government grant she has 100 quid a month stopped out of her wages to pay it back ! You can do the same in oz too because my sons girlfriends going ! And because she's a citizen she will get help and when she's earning over 52 or 53000 dollars she will pay it back also :) same principals in both countries really ! Petrol is cheaper in Australia ! I had a bran new series 3 bmw in UK I have a bran new at the time of moving Kia Sportage in Aus couldn't afford a Beamer ! Lol :) love my Beamer but love my Sportage too lol :)

I can also see where others are coming from too , depending what you was use to I already in UK and depending on the timing of moving here !

I I know people who moved here 8years ago they are laughing towards anything they had back home because there wages were rubbish back home and they arrived here in the boom .

Now ow they have a lovely home cars pool in oz . They would never of achieved that in UK because I know them and new them back home !

The he difference for me I already had it in UK took years to get it but we had it and the timing here in oz ! So o can see both sides !

for the same house now they paid 300000 for to be built I would be looking at 550 to 600000 dollars ! and they only paid a tiny deposit .

We we don't qualify for a small deposit ! My hubby wouldn't do it at the minute anyway :)

so I can see other peoples sides too . :)

Does every thread have to end up as an Australia v UK thing :SLEEP: It obviously depends on which part of each country you live in with regard to house prices, cost of petrol. cost of food, choice of products etc etc. As long as you enjoy and appreciate where you live, it doesn't matter about all that other stuff.

Both great countries.

Weather is better in UK for so many and as for beaches...natural beaches in UK

Pedn%20Vounder%20c%20The%20Wild%20Guide.jpg?itok=GsTpKqxQ

Hayle-towans-IK-533x356.jpg

May-Weather.jpg

How long does it take to reach these beaches from Stratford? look fantastic. Is the water nice to swim in?

Weather is better in UK for so many and as for beaches...natural beaches in UK

Pedn%20Vounder%20c%20The%20Wild%20Guide.jpg?itok=GsTpKqxQ

Hayle-towans-IK-533x356.jpg

May-Weather.jpg

i do understand the UK has lovely beaches pb ! I have been Isle of Wight , Tenby , Paignton , Cornwall I do know , in fact there's a bran new beach in landunno now lol I was on it last week ! But I'm referring to a cock stride away ! As for weather the sun does make me smile ! But bad weather never stopped me getting about and out anyway !

• 1 month later...

All these quotes about where is cheaper Aus or the UK.are All futile arguments. It depends on where you live in both Countries.Just read what the experts say in Australia.And they say Australia is the most expensive place to live on the planet,and it will get worse.Anyone that is thinking of going home needs to get their money out ASAP.The Aussie Dollars is not going to be worth the plastic,it's printed on,after the next rate drop.Australia has tried all this before,and it didn't work. The $ was .32cents to the Pound and .46 cents to the American $. Australia has got nothing to sell in huge commodities.It hasn't got a Big Manufacturing base,It put ALL it's eggs in one basket Mining, and Wasted It All.The Liberals under Howard were asked time and time again when are they going to diversify.They ignored it thinking the mining boom would last forever.A monkey could have run Australia.Billion's were going into government coffer's but the Liberals Did Nothing.They loved to brag about their huge surplus.But ran the Countries Hospitals,Schools,Social Services ect ect. into the ground.Now they are doing the same,and borrowing $100 million a day.They even denied there was a GFC.They Win Elections by scaremongering and lies.Abbott is a Jesuit Priest,check their history.

Just might as-well be on the moon,where are the people.People keep putting pictures of these Wonderful Beaches.Did you know the majority of Austalian's holiday in Bali they can't afford $275+ a night in a motel.In Australia.Most have never ever been to the Barrier Reef.Please Put some Pictures up of That TV Show Escape to the Country.The Want to be Aussie's love to Brag about the beaches! I have some better pictures of Beaches and they are in Northumberland,

Just might as-well be on the moon,where are the people.People keep putting pictures of these Wonderful Beaches.Did you know the majority of Austalian's holiday in Bali they can't afford $275+ a night in a motel.In Australia.Most have never ever been to the Barrier Reef.Please Put some Pictures up of That TV Show Escape to the Country.The Want to be Aussie's love to Brag about the beaches! I have some better pictures of Beaches and they are in Northumberland,

I too have lovely pictures of beaches visited all over the world...all beautiful in there own way.

The beaches in the UK too, some great, some not so great. Never could have afforded to live near a good one, also were weather permitting, so if I wanted to sunbathe or go into the water, then I had a few windows of opportunities.

In Aus I can live beachside, and even in the middle of winter head there, set up a towel, lay down and catch some rays.

All good for me, love the tranquility of a uncrowded beach, the ocean, so calming.

Its what we came for:wink:

then if I want nightlife, shopping, restaurants etc. lots of them too:tongue:

We have Been Back in Australia 7 months,after being over to the Uk for 1 year.I think it depends on what part of the Uk you live in.And what part of Australia you live.We were in the North East .It was so cheap there,4 bedroomed detached 140,000 pounds council tax 85 a month,car insurance 218 pounds, car Tax 30 pound.on a Citroen 4,Cost 550 pounds MOT 1 year. house in a nice rural Village with jaw dropping countryside,And rivers you could get down to. We shopped at Aldi Couldn't believe the Bill Trolly over flowing with everything there's so much choice there than here,78 pounds.Going out for a Meal and a drink is Fantastic. The last time we went out just before we came back.There were 6 adults.All had our Choice of Meal and drinks.I paid and it was 72 ponds.We live in Queensland on the Sunshine Coast.It is so expensive.It's sickening Rates are $1600 half yearly including water.Car insurance $700,Car Rego $700 and is going up next month.Food bill at Aldi we travel 70 klms as it;s so expensive at Woolworths local Store. $640 for two weeks main shop.then we buy extra's local like milk $4 3lt Bread a decent loaf of bread is $5.Half a cabbage $5 Broccoli $10 We have a pool and our electric not bad around $400 3 months.Car repairs $150 hr.A tradesman to do work in the house.Is Abnormally expensive.OH All medication in the UK for over 60's is FREE. I would say Cost over Living in Australia is DOUBLE compared to the UK. Australia has lost it's appeal.It's so expensive,And things will soon get really worse.They say Recession is on it's way.Australia's wealth has been wasted,the mining boom is well and truly over,Australia is now living beyond it's means.The Liberals refused to diversify, They went to selling live animals overseas,the closed all the abattoirs down putting thousands out of work.Now even mines are closing. The country is broke.Borrowing $100 million a day,and they have just bought a load of helicopters,Costing Billion's and want to build 12 more Submarines.Costing Billion's For What?

Wow?Half a cabbage $5?Broc $10?I've just returned from SA,and they weren't anywhere near that price.From memory Broc was around $2.50 per head,and cabbage was around $1.50!Wholemeal bread was $1.90?Unless I want to treat myself to a specialty type loaf,the cheaper stuff is fine for sandwiches/toast!

Thanks, no I didn't think I was kidding myself but some comments had me wondering. Not much doubt in my mind though really lol[/quote

Here's one to chew on.People that think stuff is cheaper in Australia than the Uk.I just phoned a Mechanic today to do a job on a 2007 Ford Focus 2L Diesel,it needs a new lifter pump in the fuel tank.A new high pressure pump,and 4 injectors.Estimate time to do job 3-4 hours.Cost include parts and labour.$7000 incl Gst. I could buy a complete recon engine in the UK for much less than that.Maybe a new one.Talking to the Mechanic he said he had spent time in the UK.He reckons they give cars away over there.He said if only i could buy cars from the UK,Import them and sell them in Aussie, he'd be a millionaire in a year.Cars And Spare Parts in Australia are ridiculous and out of control,it's rip off city.

My Mistake the wife says The Broc was $10 a KG. But the Cabbage was right.What about Beef and a Leg of Lamb $44.00 a kg today.And that's no bull.Not long ago i used to buy 12 month old Hoggets, thats young sheep for $70.00.To the Iraqies from the town.By the way the cheap bread you buy,is guaranteed to block all arteries.

I too have lovely pictures of beaches visited all over the world...all beautiful in there own way.

The beaches in the UK too, some great, some not so great. Never could have afforded to live near a good one, also were weather permitting, so if I wanted to sunbathe or go into the water, then I had a few windows of opportunities.

In Aus I can live beachside, and even in the middle of winter head there, set up a towel, lay down and catch some rays.

All good for me, love the tranquility of a uncrowded beach, the ocean, so calming.

Its what we came for:wink:

then if I want nightlife, shopping, restaurants etc. lots of them too:tongue:

you can afford to live by some stunning beaches if you decide not to live in the south of england.

wales offers cheap big houses and beutiful beaches.

Here's one to chew on.People that think stuff is cheaper in Australia than the Uk.I just phoned a Mechanic today to do a job on a 2007 Ford Focus 2L Diesel,it needs a new lifter pump in the fuel tank.A new high pressure pump,and 4 injectors.Estimate time to do job 3-4 hours.Cost include parts and labour.$7000 incl Gst. I could buy a complete recon engine in the UK for much less than that.Maybe a new one.Talking to the Mechanic he said he had spent time in the UK.He reckons they give cars away over there.He said if only i could buy cars from the UK,Import them and sell them in Aussie, he'd be a millionaire in a year.Cars And Spare Parts in Australia are ridiculous and out of control,it's rip off city.

I am sorry I find that really hard to believe. My daughter is having a second hand engine put in her car (a VW Golf 1.6 petrol 2002). including freighting it to WA from NSW, taking old engine out, new engine in. new water pump and some other bits I can't remember the bill is less than $3k.

[h=1]Are we kidding ourselves ?[/h]I think if you are happy with where you live, you will look around and see lots of reasons to justify how you feel. In all probability there will be some niggles, but because you are generally happy with your lot the niggles will be pretty insignificant in the scheme of things.

On the other hand if you are unhappy with the street, city, area or country you find yourself living in, everything will take on a different meaning. Niggles will reinforce your conviction that the place is the pits.

I don’t think it is a case of kidding yourself, more a case of knowing what ticks the boxes for you and your family. Finding somewhere that puts big ticks in the boxes that are important to you won’t prove anything to anyone else though. How could it - when they’re your boxes and your ticks? T x

My Mistake the wife says The Broc was $10 a KG. But the Cabbage was right.What about Beef and a Leg of Lamb $44.00 a kg today.And that's no bull.Not long ago i used to buy 12 month old Hoggets, thats young sheep for $70.00.To the Iraqies from the town.By the way the cheap bread you buy,is guaranteed to block all arteries.

Zack,where do you shop?I just went onto a major supermarket chain website and their legs of lamb are (of today's price) $22.50 for a 2.5 kg leg?Grassfed Bolar beef Roast....1.5kg $18!

As far as bread goes,I don't eat much of the stuff myself,and when I do,I make it myself so I know what goes into it.Abit hard to do when I'm in Oz staying with at someone else's house.Why is it guaranteed to block all arteries?Got any proof?Im curious.

Replying to Zack's posts is a waste of time.

Where the heck does he live? No way do we pay what he's paying for veggies, meat etc. If I had to pay what he pays for veggies, I'd grow my own.

I live in Perth which is the most expensive city in the world and I don't pay those prices!!!

Archived