Your FAILURE to settle in Oz

Perthbum

[h=1]Britain set for heatwave as temperatures soar[/h]

Blustery showers and galeforce winds will give way to balmy weather towards the weekend, particularly in the south

Good because as much as people say no bad weather just bad clothing....it ain't much fun taking 2 young kids to the beach or park in force 9 Gail and peeing it down! Or walking the dogs....though they are refusing to go out!....

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good because as much as people say no bad weather just bad clothing....it ain't much fun taking 2 young kids to the beach or park in force 9 Gail and peeing it down! Or walking the dogs....though they are refusing to go out!....

I know it's no fun with two little kids but there's indoor activities soft play , whacky warehouse , take me visit family , of course I'm not daft enough take me grandson the park in the wet , I was referring to bad clothing as it has never stopped people doing stuff they still manage get out and about I know it's hard work with little kids been there I know what it's like ya can still take them for a nice meal out :):) ya can still do stuff with them Australia for little kids beach is fab don't get me wrong I do see it don't worry but as mine r grown up lol :) and stick ya wellies on for the dogs that doesn't stop them going for a walk although mayb not fun anybody think it's peed it down everyday no it's been dull overcast and sunny spells in between this today is the worst day :)

I know it's no fun with two little kids but there's indoor activities soft play , whacky warehouse , take me visit family , of course I'm not daft enough take me grandson the park in the wet , I was referring to bad clothing as it has never stopped people doing stuff they still manage get out and about I know it's hard work with little kids been there I know what it's like ya can still take them for a nice meal out :):) ya can still do stuff with them Australia for little kids beach is fab don't get me wrong I do see it don't worry but as mine r grown up lol :) and stick ya wellies on for the dogs that doesn't stop them going for a walk although mayb not fun anybody think it's peed it down everyday no it's been dull overcast and sunny spells in between this today is the worst day :)

Unfortunately I would avoid soft play and wacky warehouse like the plague round here on a wet day! Would be heaving!!

Unfortunately I would avoid soft play and wacky warehouse like the plague round here on a wet day! Would be heaving!!

well My grandson loves it's not heaving though when we've been and it's good to interact with other kids get the paintingg easle out stick them at ya table and let them make a mess haha :) there is always something u can do with them :)

Been back in UK 10 days already missing the following from Brisbane:

Coffee

Weather - been pretty miserable everyday except 1 or 2 days and i've been near sunny Stratford

Activities to do outside the pub

Just been mailshot by easyjet with thirty quid flights to a number of destinations in Europe - get yerself on one! Otherwise, get back in the pub and have a proper pint.....

well My grandson loves it's not heaving though when we've been and it's good to interact with other kids get the paintingg easle out stick them at ya table and let them make a mess haha :) there is always something u can do with them :)

Yeah, we're well versed in indoor activities! Not painting though...rented house...can keep " Messy play" to nursery! More like dens with cardboard boxes, playing shops and the inevitable Cbeebies or Nick jr when I need to get something done! Lol!

I did settle in Australia - for 11 and a half years - I then I decided to settle somewhere else. Success/failure played no part in it. I wonder if people who emigrate and settle in Australia permanently consider themselves to have "failed" in their own countries? It's such a strange PIO phenomenon (in my experience) this idea of "failing" if a person moves/wants to move back to the UK.

I completely agree. I do wonder if British people deciding to move home from the U.S. or the Gulf states say, provoke such a reaction from their fellow ex-pats, or whether this is a phenomena unique to Brits living in Australia?

Just to add went to Scotland for first time was very nice. Edinburgh must be nicest looking city in Britain. Off to Spain on weds so looking fwd to non grey skies.

Forgot to add the customer service is utterly atrocious in comparison to Brisbane.

You missing having a complete stranger over-enthusiastically and utterly insincerely greet you with "How are you today?!!!" whilst they're packing away your party pies?. Anyway, don't fret, remember it's just a holiday and you'll soon be back in the city of relentless humidity where highly-trained Baristas battle day and night to bring you the perfect Skinny Latte.

You just gotta dig deep my friend.

[/b]

You missing having a complete stranger over-enthusiastically and utterly insincerely greet you with "How are you today?!!!" whilst they're packing away your party pies?. Anyway, don't fret, remember it's just a holiday and you'll soon be back in the city of relentless humidity where highly-trained Baristas battle day and night to bring you the perfect Skinny Latte.

You just gotta dig deep my friend.

perhaps being greeted "insincerely" is better than being ignored? Interesting if you smile and reply it often is appreciated, have you tried that? Although I must add I have occasionally replied "do you really want to know!"

Will take the initiative at the check out when back in UK shortly, be interesting to see what the reaction is. Definitely better to have my bags packed here, than everything just chaotically jumbled up waiting for me to do it.

perhaps being greeted "insincerely" is better than being ignored? Interesting if you smile and reply it often is appreciated, have you tried that? Although I must add I have occasionally replied "do you really want to know!"

Will take the initiative at the check out when back in UK shortly, be interesting to see what the reaction is. Definitely better to have my bags packed here, than everything just chaotically jumbled up waiting for me to do it.

To be honest I think I'd prefer being ignored rather than feeling like I've somehow wandered on to the set of a Coca-Cola commercial! It's faintly unnerving for us repressed Brits when someone greets us like a long-lost relative every time we pop into the local supermarket, I always end up looking behind me to see who it is they're actually addressing! :wink:

To be honest I think I'd prefer being ignored rather than feeling like I've somehow wandered on to the set of a Coca-Cola commercial! It's faintly unnerving for us repressed Brits when someone greets us like a long-lost relative every time we pop into the local supermarket, I always end up looking behind me to see who it is they're actually addressing! :wink:

Actually it's the "see you later" that does confuse me? Have I forgotten something arranged!!!?

Actually it's the "see you later" that does confuse me? Have I forgotten something arranged!!!?

After attending a funeral, my mate when asked about her day said 'I'm feeling pretty sad as my friend has just died'. The checkout chick said 'Oh that's great, have a nice day!'

After attending a funeral, my mate when asked about her day said 'I'm feeling pretty sad as my friend has just died'. The checkout chick said 'Oh that's great, have a nice day!'

I shouldn't really have laughed but I did :cute:

Suggest, if you can, shop at Waitrose. Staff are unfailingly friendly in there and in a genuine way we find. They will always offer to pack your bags too (I know that it costs more at Waitrose though). Personally wouldn't go in Tesco unless I had no alternative.

Suggest, if you can, shop at Waitrose. Staff are unfailingly friendly in there and in a genuine way we find. They will always offer to pack your bags too (I know that it costs more at Waitrose though). Personally wouldn't go in Tesco unless I had no alternative.

At least you have the choice in UK of several outlets. I do find staff friendly enough at my local Woolworths though. Just the prices that are the issue. Sometimes the quality as well.

Allow me to rephrase my earlier assertion. You have somehow wandered into a supermarket and you're affronted because you get a 'how are you?' ?? How fricked up is you? You seriously aren't longing for an Asda grunt from a checkout operative who clearly would rather be anywhere else than serving you?

At least you have the choice in UK of several outlets. I do find staff friendly enough at my local Woolworths though. Just the prices that are the issue. Sometimes the quality as well.

I'm not too bothered by supermarket service but had some atrocious service in coffee shops and restaurants in UK so far. Noticeably different to inner Brisbane

this rain yesterday was really needed, the last 3 years have seen well below avrage rainfall infact you get far more in oz, you will be right.

Archived