Established vs new build

Kennellys

If there is already a thread for this could you please show me! Basically we arrive in Perth in August and are looking to get our own property but don't know whether to go for established or new build and was seeking any sort of advise either financial or general! We have the luxury of living with my in laws so will have a place while purchasing our new home! Sorry but general but any help would be appreciated

Deciding where you want to live will determine what's on offer - some older suburbs won't have many new builds, whilst the new estates will have hundreds. Generally, the plots for new builds now seem to be smaller, so you have less outdoor space - depends what you want.

As Ali says, it does depend to an extent on where you want to live.

The first homebuyers grant is larger for building.

The he other big plus is you get a house designed to what you want. For us that was important as most perth houses are single story with the main bedroom at the front of the house. We don't like that, so after a lot of research we decided to build. Of course it obviously means all of the fittings are your choice. So, we could chose everything from carpets to kitchen and down to what handles on the doors. It was also good fun.

You our can get good size blocks in some new build areas - we are on 600sq meters. So, even after putting a large house on it we have a large garden.

On building there is a great thread on the sister site perth poms in the realestate section.

Although around here, people buy an old house and demolish it and build a new mansion on the big block.

Around here people buy an old house and demolish it and build two or three new houses on the big block. Occasionally someone puts just one house on the block but blocks are generally 750-850 square meters so too much temptation to make a few bucks by subdivision.

OP - as the others have said what is best will depend on where you want to live and what is available. We built because we found a block of land in a perfect spot but very little in the way of established houses we liked in the same area. I'm not sure about WA but here in SA there are additional grants for new builds but they only apply if you are spending less than a certain amount on the house (including the land cost) which meant we didn't qualify. The best place to buy is the one that most appeals when looking. Just a point on the new build though - if you build you own it can take quite some time. From purchasing the land to moving in took us about 14 months.

Buildings here are 400 to 800 square metres

Land blocks are 1200 to 4000+

Building costs go between $3000 and $10,000 per square metre obviously depending on fit out

No tax incentives although no capital gains tax even if rented out

There are for's and against's and as others have said it could be dictated by where you want to live and how much you can afford to spend. We did not want to live 30km out of the CBD and have an almost pathological hatred of 'housing estates' but used to having a large house in the UK the typical 3 bedroom/1 bathroom houses we could afford in the suburbs we liked just didn't tick our boxes so we decided to build, the additional first time buyers grant helped ($15k at that time but less now I think). It meant we could get a house with all the modern trappings, ensuite, downstairs loo, etc. but in a traditional suburb.

Having been through the experience I would say be very careful to understand what the finish of the house will be when you get the keys - whereas a new build in the UK you can pretty much move in, that was certainly not the case with ours in Australia and we ended up with little more than a shell (& about $50k of debt as the final build cost was more than the contract but the mortgage is on the contract value). Either keep cash back to cover it or go for a 'turn key' build (a lot of the building companies aimed at first time buyers will offer this - it is poor value for money but good if you are short of ready cash)

If you are looking at areas where there are lots of newish houses I would save yourself the stress and probably a fair bit of cash and buy 'established', okay it's not entirely to your specification but there'll be flooring, light fittings, blinds/curtains, appliances even possibly, painting will have been done (we had to pay $15k (& that was mates rates!) to have the outside of our house painted as it was a condition of the warranty that is was done within a certain time scale and my OH spent months doing the inside - no magnolia to be going on with, the walls weren't even skimmed!!). If you're wanting a pool then you can buy a house with one already in - and they don't add value to a property so it's 'wasted' money if you put one in yourself afterwards.

My preference is established.I brought an old style house (bullnosed verandah type).It was actually the worse house in the street,but in a country town I loved.It was a labour of love doing that house up.Loved re doing the garden,and putting my own stamp on it.For me,I like character in a house,the history etc?We also had a big block (1/4 acre)which gave us more scope to do what we wanted. My sister lives in a relatively new build and the roofs next door are practically touching eachother!

There are for's and against's and as others have said it could be dictated by where you want to live and how much you can afford to spend. We did not want to live 30km out of the CBD and have an almost pathological hatred of 'housing estates' but used to having a large house in the UK the typical 3 bedroom/1 bathroom houses we could afford in the suburbs we liked just didn't tick our boxes so we decided to build, the additional first time buyers grant helped ($15k at that time but less now I think). It meant we could get a house with all the modern trappings, ensuite, downstairs loo, etc. but in a traditional suburb.

Having been through the experience I would say be very careful to understand what the finish of the house will be when you get the keys - whereas a new build in the UK you can pretty much move in, that was certainly not the case with ours in Australia and we ended up with little more than a shell (& about $50k of debt as the final build cost was more than the contract but the mortgage is on the contract value). Either keep cash back to cover it or go for a 'turn key' build (a lot of the building companies aimed at first time buyers will offer this - it is poor value for money but good if you are short of ready cash)

If you are looking at areas where there are lots of newish houses I would save yourself the stress and probably a fair bit of cash and buy 'established', okay it's not entirely to your specification but there'll be flooring, light fittings, blinds/curtains, appliances even possibly, painting will have been done (we had to pay $15k (& that was mates rates!) to have the outside of our house painted as it was a condition of the warranty that is was done within a certain time scale and my OH spent months doing the inside - no magnolia to be going on with, the walls weren't even skimmed!!). If you're wanting a pool then you can buy a house with one already in - and they don't add value to a property so it's 'wasted' money if you put one in yourself afterwards.

Our build included everything - and I mean everything. Almost none of which was an upgrade with the builder. The only upgrades we added were a designer front door handle, some electrical things for extra power points / light switches and a duct put under the drive for future retic. All out painting, carpets and even some appliances were included (now got a massive freestanding profession chef style cooker which was included and even a free standing over size bath.

Everything is is guaranteed for 6 months and we have six months to find any faults and have them repaired. Only a couple of little things so far such as an automatic closing door is sticking a bit.

The cost of the land and the build came out at about $480k. The cost of buying it now, based on neighbours that have recently sold would be about $630k. So, we gained about $150k of equity by building.

The only thing we have to do ourselves are the two walls between us and neighbours and the garden.

Building costs go between $3000 and $10,000 per square metre obviously depending on fit out

Not sure where you are but in most parts of Australia building costs would be between $800 and $1500 per square metre. Most project home builders will be at the lower end of this scale. We built a fairly luxury house for $1000 per sqm 5 years ago.

BB

• 1 month later...

Archived