Husband wants to return to Scotland after 28 years

RMac

Hi, I have been told that waiting times are waived if the money is the result of selling a property you held for more than 6 months, after we sell our house we will have more than the required amount. The job of the UK resident only has to pay £18600 which seems reasonable, my husband works from home as a software engineer so he will simply keep that job. The nurse registration rules have changed slightly so all I have to do is show my credentials, sit a couple of exams and then pay around £1500 to register!!! I just had a look and Glasgow has just opened an enormous new NHS hospital with 29 operating theatres (I am a theatre nurse) so that is incredibly exciting. All of my husbands family are in the Giffnock area of Glasgow so that is where we are looking. I think I will hire a migration agent in order to speed the process up. We have two weeks to get the house cleared and painted and on the market, things are pretty hectic right now.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read on the UK government website that if you apply for the spouse visa via mail it is £600 and takes at least 6 weeks but if you go in person and pay £1000 then it is done that day, has anyone heard of this at all?

That's great news RMac re the new hospital!Fingers crossed for you!The weather?I've lived in Scotland (And England)and I actually don't mind winters.Winter in Australia where I lived was freezing with no central heating,and the wood burner on all day so its no diff here.Infact I'd go as far to say I hibernated more in Australia,in summer with the windows/blinds closed,and in winter.

That's great news RMac re the new hospital!Fingers crossed for you!The weather?I've lived in Scotland (And England)and I actually don't mind winters.Winter in Australia where I lived was freezing with no central heating,and the wood burner on all day so its no diff here.Infact I'd go as far to say I hibernated more in Australia,in summer with the windows/blinds closed,and in winter.

I agree. My first winter in Adelaide was so cold and miserable due to the inadequate insulation, heating and poor build of the rental that until I moved, I cooked only the once in the house after work. I spent those first 2 months eating out at at restaurants and fast food outlets before coming straight home and into bed. My flat in Scotland was far more welcoming and warmer.

We tried to relocate back to UK about 3 years ago - didn't work out. Spouse visas are very difficult to obtain, even for my wife who had previously been a UK resident. The UK partner needs to have a well paying job and/or you both need to have a substantial amount of money parked in a UK bank account for about a year to qualify. Even if you tick all the boxes the application process and waiting times are horrendous - we were told could be 18 months. Didn't want to disrupt family life for that long so returned to Oz.

If you apply while in the UK they make you wait a horrendous length of time - I think it's just to put you off! However my oh applied in Australia (Sydney) and it took only six weeks.

Sigh. I guess it is said so often that people start to believe it. There are no planned cuts to the NHS, just more plans to invest over and above inflation, same as every year since 2010. In any case, David Cameron does not run NHS Scotland, it is devolved. I am sure you would have no trouble picking up work.

Yes, exactly Bungo! When I enquired about a job back at my old place within the NHS in England I was more or less asked when can I start. My bosses told me that they are pushing lots of people up the ladder into Management thus creating lots of jobs at the bottom, so they now have a recruitment drive every month or so to get new staff. I guess when the recession was at its peak there may have been a slowdown on training new Nurses maybe. I have a job to go back to which has been held open since November :-)

RMac - not sure on the process for Australian Nurses getting NMC registration but I just re-registered and it was just a case of getting references from various people that I worked with/for here in Australia. It did take about 3 months to process though so I would look at this fairly soon too if you're wanting to work straight away. Subscribe to http://www.indeed.co.uk and it will send you job vacancies in Scotland each week - this is how I found out my old place was recruiting again. Good luck x

Edited by Huggy75
Added extra

Nurses are desperately needed - patient numbers are increasing and the cost of agency staff is pushing the NHS further into deficit. Due to earlier cuts in training places there is a shortage and increasing training places now will take a few years to improve the situation so it should not be difficult for a qualified nurse to find work as there are very many unfilled vacancies. This is very much in the news at the moment!

Great news thank you everyone for your insights, I am feeling very positive about the move. And I had a win, I thought I was going to have to contact my old uni to obtain a grade transcript but the first box I opened in our storage area had it sitting right on top! I won't be to bothered if it takes a little while to register, I think it will be good to be available for the kids, I think they are going to need a bit of extra TLC.

• 2 weeks later...

omg I felt like I was reading my own story ((almost))

We have been here 27 years and 2 months ago hubby was retrenched from the job he had been in for 25 years.....so we are considering moving back home too. Every time we have a bad day we say lets go, but when we have a good one we say lets not...lol our minds change more than the Melbourne weather.

We have 2 daughters 13 and 15 which is REALLY hard. Hubby has some family here but more in England and all of my family are in England. My family are close whereas his isn't. One daughter wants to move and the other doesn't.......its been doing my head in trying to decide - so we finally decided last weekend to go....then this week hubby has had some job interviews which I know that if he is offered one - the turmoil will start again....BUT in saying that we haven't been happy here for many years - so I think we will still make the move....

OMG reading over my post here - it still sounds like im so confused haha.

good luck - your children are young enough to adapt better, and it sounds like you will both get work easy due to your qualifications.

wouldn't mind knowing what you decide x but in my opinion if your hubby isn't happy here by now - he never will be ((speaking from experience))

Geordie girl I have been reading your posts. From what you post sounds very much like you want to move home. Move home. Do you really think Australia justifies not moving back?

My girls are even at a worst age. Year 5 this year and year 10. We seem to have constant dilemma on when to move back. Do you know what I think I am learning/realising?? No right time. Just trust

your instincts and make the best decision.

We are even now considering that I go back end of next year and get youngest started in high school, and as eldest and hubby don't want to move until 2017, they will meet us when ready. May sound

odd, but I guess I get what I want. And what ideal situation do we really have in the world? Just I know Australia is not where we want to be, and we've been here for 8 years. I am running out, and

it is not doing us any good. Go for what you want, the children will be OK.

We are going back, house goes on the market next week so the last few weeks have been a frenzy of preparation, we are really excited, initially we thought we were heading to Glasgow but my husband might be working in Edinburgh so we aren't really sure. I had a look online and there seem to be lot a of jobs in my field so we are just going for it

We are going back, house goes on the market next week so the last few weeks have been a frenzy of preparation, we are really excited, initially we thought we were heading to Glasgow but my husband might be working in Edinburgh so we aren't really sure. I had a look online and there seem to be lot a of jobs in my field so we are just going for it

Exciting times for you and your family. Good luck with everything :smile:

Hi everyone, I am not from the UK but have been reading some threads for advise and I am hoping someone may have been in a similar situation and can help. My husband grew up in the Scottish highlands, his parents migrated to Australia when he was 12 and he never quite got over it, they didn't move to a very nice place in Adelaide and Scotland has always been home to him. Just before we met he had a one way ticket and was going to move back at the age of 31, now we are living in Sydney, married with two children (5 and 7) and he is 40 years old and desperate to return to Scotland. We have enough equity in our house that we could almost buy outright in Glasgow but we have a big mortgage in Australia. How family in Scotland are very close whereas my family here are not and he misses that closeness. He has an excellent well paid job as a software engineer here and I am a nurse, are we crazy for considering selling our house and moving? Will our children forever wish that we hadn't? I am so confused.

Hi RMac, I currently stay in Glasgow and there is nothing here. Its cold all the time, our lives are ruled by the weather, everything costs a bomb. I'm currently tying to get outta here so maybe I'm a little negative towards the place but I wouldn't come here if I were you.

I have a girl from Sydney work with me and she has been here a year and is desperate to go back home. She said she is sick of feeling cold and that all she does is go home, wrap up and sit into front of the TV and eat because it's always miserable here.

I know the grass is always greener but you really aint missing anything xx

Edited by susanbro

I have a girl from Sydney work with me and she has been here a year and is desperate to go back home. She said she is sick of feeling cold and that all she does is go home, wrap up and sit into front of the TV and eat because it's always miserable here.

That really sounds like homesickness to me so don't let her influence you.

I agree with Lady Raincorn. I have lovely memories of Glasgow. Way more than Australia. I remember coming home from my office temp job at 4.30 pm, and yes it was dark and cold, but it was magical.

Then home to hot shower. Then games in front of fire with nice food. Cosy and social.'

Then you don't have that cold dark weather lasting all year round either. On the weekends in winter we would go bush walking or to museums, art galleries, theatre etc. Just go with seasons and indulge.

There is good. x

Hi RMac, I currently stay in Glasgow and there is nothing here. Its cold all the time, our lives are ruled by the weather, everything costs a bomb. I'm currently tying to get outta here so maybe I'm a little negative towards the place but I wouldn't come here if I were you.

I know the grass is always greener but you really aint missing anything xx

The thing is equally you will hear the same things from people in Australia, she just sounds incredibly homesick.

Also when you have your heart set on going to live somewhere else all you see are the negatives, it could be sunny for a month and the first cold day that is all you see. To be fair Scotland isn't somewhere I would live BUT I have quite a few friends up there and they seem to have very good lives.

There's loads of nice places to live in Scotland. It's not as grim as people think :wink: I was coming back from Glasgow yesterday going down the clydevalley thinking wow I'm really lucky to live here. My gran likes the difference between here and glasgow but she couldn't live here. She thinks it's too quiet and boring lol. One advantage of glasgow is you're so near Loch Lomond for a day trip. It's my fave place. Edinburghs lovely too though, that's probably where Id move to if I had money for a really nice flat

I love my old hometown Stacey. As I've said before - if it was possible, I'd spend 6 months there and 6 months here. It has lovely stone built houses and the place is so clean and tidy with window boxes and hanging baskets at most houses and the cafes and restaurants are great value with really good food and of course I'd get to see my old friends too. Most people seem to have a good standard of living.

I'll have to go visit your hometown one day. I like Dumfries, that's near it isn't it? We used to go out there every Thursday night. I'm going to move away from here at some point, if it's still in scotland then it'll definitely be Glasgow or Edinburgh.

OP - I hope you settle in well and enjoy it :)

Thank you LR, everyone we know in Scotland is so optimistic abut the future, we have decided that we will aim to be out by September so that the kids can start school, it may be cutting it a bit fine though as we are away for three weeks in June, I actually feel really relaxed now that we have finally made a decision. My husband is emailing some contacts he has in Glasgow to start the job hunting process, I think I will try to organise my registration as much as I can from here and then sit the exams required once we are in the UK.

Good luck with the move! We moved to Sydney, from Glasgow, last November and I miss it so much. The kids have settled well here though and that's the main thing.

The schools there start back mid-August though, so it might be worth heading out so they can start the first day of the new school year.

Thank you everyone, I have lived in Canada before and I found that it was a matter of buying really good winter clothes and just getting out and moving around. I also have a very active dog which forces me to go out for a walk every day, I found Scottish people to be genuine and warm so all in all we are looking forward to getting there and sorting housing out. My only concern is that we are taking our dog and rentals don't seem to allow dogs so the poor thing might be spending a bit of time in a kennel.